1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gay Groups Want Santorum Out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Apr 22, 2003.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

the difference is Martin Sheen doesn't have any power to affect people's lives. Elected officials should be held to a different standard than private citizens.

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Actually, I think they should both be held to the higher standard. Words and opinions do have consequences whether one is a Congressperson or an actor or whoever.

I was just noting that if we support someone's free speech rights (and say there shouldn't be consequences) for those whose opinions with which we disagree, we should have those same standards for those who express opinions with which we don't agree.

I would argue that anyone who is in a position of power, whether that power be as an elected or appointed official or as someone who can influence a large number of people as a role model, etc., should be held accountable for what opinions they express and what example they set. An actor does have the ability to affect people's lives, sometimes moreso than a single Congressperson does. While that power comes through more of a "bully pulpit" type power rather than the power to have direct input into the way the government is run, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

To me, it's no different, and neither should expect there to be no consequences to their speech, opinions, actions, whatever.