1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gattis vs. Carter

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Buck Turgidson, May 24, 2015.

?

Who ya got?

1. Gattis

94.8%
  2. Carter

3.4%
  3. Neither

1.7%
  1. Txst

Txst Member

Also, the lefty righty match ups with this roster has the potential to be deadly

2. Txst

Txst Member

Rasmussen/Marisnick/Tucker will all play equally. Rasmussen simply moves to CF when Tucker plays

3. awc713

awc713 Member

I wouldn't be surprised if we packaged Singleton + Tucker or Santana + pitcher or 2 for a big piece this trade deadline

4. Buck Turgidson

I gotta go. I'm going to let you think about that post for a minute.

1 person likes this.
  5. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

#getsprung

6. Txst

Txst Member

Other than Auto Correctin it to Rasmussen what's your problem?

7. Dankush

Dankush Member

Are yoi diumb? Do you not see the guys post right above mine?

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The post above yours talks about Gattis and Carter. Your use of pronouns does not really explain who you are talking about as Gattis and Carter are both guys who perform well in half seasons.

9. Dankush

Dankush Member

If you cant figure out that I mean Carter then I feel bad for you.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't say he was going to be great for 40 games and then go back to crap. But previous years do seem to indicate eventually he'll go on a Carter Tear. Last year it was longer than 40 games. I was just throwing some numbers out there like you did. The overall, season numbers last year from Carter were great. If he gets there this year by breaking out sometime in the next week, then you put up with what we've seen from him so far (especially considering we've been winning without that). I just wish there was some guarantee that it would happen and not just the probability.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's painfully frustrating to watch Carter struggle, but history is on his side. If you go back to 2012 you can find 7 different non overlapping 30 game stretches in which he posted an OPS over .900. It's not a guarantee, but it seems highly likely that one of these hot months is coming. It isn't as if he has just has one hot stretch every year and sucks for the rest of the year.

On the Singleton side, we've seen him have success in the minors, and fail in the show. There's no guarantee this time will be different. Some people are acting as if this is an easy call to make, but it really isn't. the Astros have good reason for sticking with Carter given past results.

Simply going to Singleton because he has more upside is something bad teams do, not contenders. Contenders have to do what is best to win this year, and that answer isn't clear.

12. Dankush

Dankush Member

What kind of stat cherry picking straw man argument is that, that doesn't even deserve a response.

13. Buck Turgidson

I have no ****ing idea where you came from, but I hope you go back there post-haste.

1 person likes this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This year, Singleton's k% is trending down and his contact rate is trending up.

Obviously, the Astros are having Singleton work on his swing and are seeing results.

I would not be surprised to see Singleton stay on the farm this season, barring a trade or injury. If Singleton continues to show improvement, this will force Luhnow's hand in the off season.

15. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

He will be up this year, the question is when

16. No Worries

Who's roster spot does he take? Carter or Gattis?

Singleton is guaranteed to be called up to The Bigs, in September after the AAA season is finished.

17. Major

Major Member

It doesn't need to be either. If they cut down on pitchers, they can carry an extra player. Give it several weeks and the 3 of them will sort out who plays. Adding a lefty in there gives you some more creative lineup flexibility, and having all 3 also gives you a pinch-hitter on the bench with power every night.

18. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Right now, Buchanan

19. No Worries

So you play Singleton full time at first and alternate Gattis and Carter at DH?

I strongly suspect that Luhnow want all three to be full time starters.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think the most pragmatic move would be to rotate all 3 until something gives. We can't dump Carter or Gattis until we have some evidence that Singleton is ready this time.

Singleton coming through is clearly the best case scenario, because he is younger and projects as a much more well rounded hitter. Hopefully all 3 succeed and Gattis/Carter rebuild their trade value, because it is a sellers market for bats, and I think we could get solid value for either one.