1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary St. Jean is...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 16, 2001.

?

Gary St. Jean is...

1. An idiot.

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. A jerk.

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. A steaming pile of crap.

11 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Screwed because Jackson is going to make him pay.

13 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. Just doing his job.

34 vote(s)
    27.2%
  6. All of the above EXCEPT "Just doing his job."

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Have fun...

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Doing his job . . . Isn't his job to make the team better.

If he could not get any attractive trades before
    how will he do it now?

Rocket River
    confused

3. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

What makes me mad about the Jax thing is:

1. They hung Jax out to dry entirely and waited until someone signed him to an offer sheet - seems unprofessional

2. When the offer sheet came they stated they would not wait until the time expired to make decision- - - and did anyway.

3. The player's wishes were not considered at all

Considering the above and the risks involved my guess is they matched because they really, really fear some of their big men going down during the season.

4. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I expected this poll to be a <b>lot</b> worse. I'm kind of surprised.

Anyway, you guys surprise me with your response. Put yourself in GS's shoes. Imagine Eddie Griffin is a restricted free agent next season. Imagine he doesn't want to come back (yes, I know to some of you that's blasphemy, just work with me here). You guys try to work a sign-and-trade around the league, but no one really bites. All of a sudden, Golden State swoops in and signs him to an offer sheet.

Griffin says that he hopes you guys just let him "be happy" and sign with the Warriors which is where he wants to be. Fourteen days pass, and you guys decide to re-sign Griffin. Now how do you view your team? Are you upset because you made a player unhappy, or are you happy because you made sure you got something for a player of some value.

It's simple logic. Golden State did the same thing any team would do, and to be honest, some of Jackson's quotes were <b>REALLY</b> stupid. Come 90 days from now, he's going to be begging to be traded. His teammates won't respect him, and I don't see how anyone would.

Flame away.

5. MattsayzIstillbelieve!!!

You're just wrong and the Eddie Griffin thing is not close to equatable with Jax's situation. GSW didn't treat Jax well at all and talked badly about him. An example of how GSW should have handled this is like the Moochie situation actually. Yes I know it's not the same my point is it's how you treat somebody in the first place. Now you can say GSW just got valuable depth what they really did is perfectly situate themselves for future conflict and confirm to players around the leaugue that they are a classless organization. Chemistry my A$$. I'll be nice and give Cowen's a year and a half before he quits this time.

6. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I hate to interrupt your rant, but you never answered my question. Put yourself in Golden State's shoes. Would you have matched the offer? Ignore the crap leading up to it, it doesn't matter. Do you let your basketball team take a personnel hit, especially one that benefits a team in your conference.

The answer is no.

7. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

this is how i see it (basically the only reason i can figure out);

1- gs knows it wont be great this year

2- they know big men have value

3- they cant lose another FA for nothing again

but then why sign a guy who doesnt want to be there? especially for so much?

well for once it prevents helping a conference team, which they could easily do, BUT for about 2-3 mill (half of MJs salary this year) they get a little insurance policy and then can trade him to another team for something instead of losing him for nothing.

that must be their reasoning.

8. enbehay

enbehay Member

Come on, dudes and dudettes, St. Jean was just doing his job. IMO, Marc Jackson will be a Warrior for 91 days. Even though I am not a big fan of Jackson, I was disappointed in not getting him because we need another big body to reinforce the C-F roster. Jackson is now off limits to the Rockets for a year, so we need to look for another big man to back up Cato and Collier. I wish we could find a 7-2 Oscar Torres-type gem. Let's scour the rosters, foreign and domestic!

#8 enbehay, Oct 16, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2001
  9. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Sorry, but the Warriors never made any such statement ... in fact, St. Jean never made any comment to the press at all regarding Jackson's offer sheet.

What you remember came from the Rockets' GM, who decided to appoint himself press spokesman for the Warriors on the issue. It's called "spin" -- trying to box the Warriors in so they look bad if they take longer than you want them to take.

Which, if you want to get real picky about it, is kind of a classless thing to do.

10. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Its kind of funny...the Jazz fans are all excited because we didn't get our man, and so they think the "only" possible alternative for Jax is to go to Utah!ahahaha! they think GS will trade then straight up for...get this...Ostertag! Its kind of funny how they are happy another team is going down; well I guess they can't be happy about their team getting better...cause it won't for a long time.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I don't understand about this whole situation is the timing. GS was trying to move some of their C's or forwards so they could utilize MJ's skills at center or PF. I think most everyone here assumed they would only match our offer if they worked out a trade in this regard. I still have heard nothing further about a trade of any of Golden State's players, but they went ahead and signed Jackson to Houston's offer sheet. This tells me that they were planning on matching our offer all along, or at least had some idea that they would, because NOTHING about this situation has changed to favor Golden State any further since they got our offer sheet for Marc Jackson.

So answer me this. If they had planned on matching our offer all along, why did they wait till the very last minute to match? The only thing I see that accomplishing is to screw over the Rockets, as it takes away that much more time before our medical exception is unusable. Why did they wait?

12. cson

cson Contributing Member

!Steamy pile-o el-Crapo!

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Nuggets4, I think you make some good points. But I honestly believe it would be better to let him go. Absolutely NOTHING good can come from having a player on your team who clearly and publicly doesn't want to be there. I think the Rockets would look at it this way as well.

Two names come to mind. Maxwell and Pippen. The Rocks have had the chance to go down this path before, and they wanted nothing to do with it.

I understand that you would want something in return. But in the era of free agency, losing a player is hardly a rare thing. And if your job is to do the best thing for your team - forcing a guy to stay there, tie up his money, and go through the next 90 days of hell IMO isn't it.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUestion: If they had said they's match it on the 1st day we offered? What would have changed for them?

Could we counter offer again .. . . . a bidding war of sorts?

My question is. . why wait. i'm guessing they were looking
    for better trades etc.

Rocket River

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I had the same question, Raven. It's the delay, not the ultimate decision to keep him, that I had a problem with. Seems like they just strung everyone (our team, their team, Marc) along for no particular reason. If they intended to match the offer all along, why not get it over with? The 90 day window would have started and ended quicker, and meanwhile they would have had him in training camp and preseason games, getting ready to contribute to their team for the next 3 months.

By the way, the number in your sig doesn't work. :)

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Well if the Rockets were loaded with big men and couldn't sign and trade Eddie Griffin, and he didn't want to be here I would let him go because chemistry is an issue. Why risk destroying chemistry just to keep a disgruntled player? We went through that with Scottie Pippen and look where it got us! Pippen trashed players and management, you think it would have been a good idea to keep him because he had "value" and risk not being able to trade him, and having him destroy team chemistry? As for his teammates not respecting him so what? You're saying it doesn't matter if he doesn't want to be there he should just play, so what if his teammates don't respect him they better learn to if they want to win. Jackson is getting paid, they forced him to stay, if he can't be traded they better play him because he's locked up for 6 years. So who cares if his teammates don't respect him and he can't be traded. He stuck there with them, and they're stuck with him! So you say Jackson's comment were stupid, I say Golden State freezing him out all summer and practically saying they didn't want him, and then scoop him up just when he was going somewhere else and making him upset was also stupid. A lot of this could have been avoided.

#16 RocksMillenium, Oct 16, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2001
  17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but I still don't see the logic in this move from a GSW standpoint. If I were a GM (and yes, I know I'm not), I'd want to balance out the effects of long-term and short-term roster decisions. This matching of our offer sheet by the GSW constitutes a long-term roster decision in my eyes (since Jackson will probably be traded later on for another piece of the GSW puzzle). However, as I see it, retaining Marc will destroy all short-term gains in the process, which I feel is not worth it. Yeah, it's great to be able to get something for him later on down the road, but at what costs? So GS will wait 90 days to trade him for a measly 2nd round pick (marginal gains to say the least), but end up losing every single game until that point due to a completely disruptive Jackson. Kill the short-term to gain a teeny bit in the long-term. I don't call that a good business decision; I call that a pyrrhic victory (a victory gained at too great a cost). It's hard to generate fan interest and ticket sales when your team is 2-28, and the owner will make St. Jean painfully aware of that if Jackson becomes the sole cause of a disastrous start.

Don't underestimate the human part of all of this. Say what you will, but free agents will not check out GS if they only treat their players like financial assets. Why do all the players want to go to Orlando? Why do they spurn Chicago (and their mass amount of money) at every attempt? Is there a pattern? Damn skippy. GS should have cut their losses and tried to save face. Now, everybody loses. It's a zero sum game. (Think about the ending to Reservoir Dogs...)

18. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

The logical answer is that they didn't plan to match the offer, but something came up at the last minute that changed things.

Maybe between the injuries to Webber/McDyess/Camby and the still-unresolved PF needs of teams like Milwaukee and Philadelphia, they figured they had a solid probability of making a deal in January.

Heck, they just played the Lakers twice in Hawaii, getting a firsthand look at Samaki Walker, Jelani McCoy, and the rest of L.A.'s crappy non-Shaq big men. Maybe they think they can send MJax south in January for Lindsey Hunter. :)

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The fact that Golden State matched Houston's offer does not suprise me, nor does it in and of itself anger me in any way. It's a great move on their part in my opinion to nail down Jackson in a long-term, relatively reasonable contract like that. And you're all right, he's a very tradeable commodity now, whether they want to keep him or not.

But waiting till the eleventh hour to blind-side everyone is, to put it mildly, bad form. The Warriors gave little to no indication that they had any interest in keeping Jackson, and all parties involved seemed to believe the matter was all but closed. Deals that we thought might happen fell through, and the matter seemed settled.

The least they could have done is been honest.

:)

20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

HEY JEFF,

all of the above except "doing his job."

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: