1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Payton wants to join Celtics

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LFE171, Dec 21, 2007.

1. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Not sure if it's posted, but if it is, lock it up!

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2007/12/21/payton_wants_to_join_celtics/?page=full

Payton wants to join Celtics
    GARY PAYTON Point guard help? GARY PAYTON Point guard help?
    Email|Print| Text size – + By Marc J. Spears
    Globe Staff / December 21, 2007

WALTHAM - Ex-Celtics point guard Gary Payton watched on television from his Las Vegas home Wednesday night as his former team lost to the Pistons. And once Chauncey Billups hit the winning free throws with a tenth of a second remaining, Payton called his agent.
    related

"He called me and said, 'Hey, I'm reminding you that the Celtics are a team I feel like I can help,' " said agent Aaron Goodwin.

The Celtics have been pleased with the play of second-year point guard Rajon Rondo. But there has been a feeling that Boston still needs a veteran backup at the position.

The Celtics have Eddie House, a 3-point threat who isn't considered a true point guard, and rookie Gabe Pruitt. And when the Celtics struggled to bring the ball up the court because of the Pistons' pressure defense when Rondo was out in the fourth quarter, the issue again presented itself. The Celtics also had trouble stopping Billups, a big point guard, who scored 28 points.

Coach Doc Rivers said the Celtics "would be in trouble" if Rondo got hurt, but he also likes his roster. Rivers said he hasn't talked to anyone in Celtics management about Payton. Goodwin said that while he has talked to Danny Ainge several times about Payton, the Celtics' basketball boss hasn't shown strong interest. Other available veteran free agent point guards include Earl Boykins and Keith McLeod.

"I like my team and I would kind of like to play this a little bit longer and see where we go," said Rivers. "Clearly [Wednesday] night, when Rajon was off the floor it changed the game. But we have ways of correcting that. If not, then maybe. But right now we'll just let this team play it out a little bit more.

"We're not panicking. Having said that, we're aware of it, there is no doubt about it. I'm just going to coach the ones now and we'll worry about the other stuff later."

The Celtics have two open roster spots. Ainge said Wednesday he wasn't looking to fill one unless it was with an impact player. So, that begs the question of whether Payton could be that impact player.

"Just knowing [Payton] and playing with him, I know what he brings to the game," said James Posey, who played with Payton the last two seasons in Miami. "He brings that competitive nature. That experience. He's been doing it. Even before we won a ring in Miami, people understood what he brings to the table."

Payton, 39, has averaged 16.3 points, 6.7 assists, and 3.9 rebounds over 17 seasons. The nine-time All-Defensive team selection played for the Celtics during the 2004-05 season, starting all 77 games he played for the Atlantic Division champions, who lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Pacers.

Payton, a nine-time All-Star, averaged career lows of 5.3 points, 3 assists, and 1.9 rebounds in 68 games last season. But the 6-foot-4-inch, 180-pounder also won a title with the Heat in 2006, has played in three NBA Finals, and could make an impact, a la veterans Lindsey Hunter (Detroit), Jacque Vaughn (San Antonio), and Darrell Armstrong (New Jersey). Goodwin says Payton is in great shape and could be ready quickly.

"I loved [Payton]," Rivers said. "Gary was great. He was a professional. He's a veteran, he knows how to play, and he's tough. So I always liked him and he knows that. That's probably why he wants to come. We had a terrific relationship."

The Celtics would likely have to pay Payton a prorated amount of $1.2 million based on the minimum salary for players with 10-plus years of experience. Goodwin said Payton would have no problem making the minimum or coming off the bench. He added that Payton is receiving "a little interest" from other teams and before the season he put the Celtics on a short list of teams he was interested in joining.

"Gary's interest is only with teams he can play with and compete with to win a championship," Goodwin said. "He'd love the opportunity to play with Boston. It's one of the teams he had me contact before the season, and that's saying a lot because Gary doesn't like the cold."

Goodwin said he last talked to Ainge about Payton and another client, free agent forward Chris Webber, about two weeks ago. Webber appears close to signing with the Pistons.

I dunno. I don't really like the fact that he's riding on the coat tails of other people's success since he couldn't get a ring with Kemp. Failed with the lakers, got his as a reserve on the heat, and wants to leave them for another ring. Call him a competitor who wants to do everything he can to get a ring, but I just think he's being a lazy cherry picker.

2. Tornadoofsoul6

Well Glove does give what Boston wants, a win-now experienced point guard.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well the celtics aren't winning a title anyways so let the loser bandwagon them.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Payton is completely washed up. His tank is bone dry.

6. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

WE can get his help here in Houston. TEach Yao some real trash-talking.

7. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I respect him but this is bulls*it.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

About time. This just made sense. Even when Boston sucked Payton loved playing there, even rejoining them after he was traded. Good presence to have IMO, and I do believe in the playoffs he can add some tangible value.

9. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

So this ad shows up in this thread and at first, I thought it was posted deliberately:

[​IMG]

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Give it up, Glove. You haven't been an effective player in 3 years and you haven't even been a shadow of your former, All Star self in 6 or 7 years.

I've said it before but I gotta say it again. It is expected for a player to lose a step and maybe even two steps later in his career. What should never happen, however, is when a player loses so much of his ability that the fans can't even recognize him as the guy who used to be a great player. Payton is one of those guys. Before he retired he looked like he had lost more of his game than Jordan had when he played for the Wizards.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

There's those instances when average drafted player is the better option for a team than over-the-hill former star even. This is one of them.

Unless Payton's like a 2nd coach on the team actively "mentoring" others (what player besides Cassell actually does that?), not sure if he's got anything to lend ON-court. This would be a pure "leadership" move. But whatever works for a team.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

The Celts NEED a vet backup pg to help mentor Rondo and run the offense more smoothly at times when he's out. I don't care how washed up Payton appears, he would fit this role pefrectly. He'd essentially be playing spot minutes like Deke does for us. I see no problem there.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trash Talking wins games and........................ helps Yao to be more like street people!!!!!:p

14. yobod

yobod Member

So is this what Gary Payton's career has come down to? Piggy-backing off the "flavor of the month" team in hopes of getting a championship? I remember when he was one of the most dominating PGs in the game back when he was in Seattle. How sad.

15. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

GP is one of my favorite basketball players, but if he wanted to join the team... he should have joined before the season started. Now he looks like just another washed up player along for the ride, for the paycheck and possibly another ring.

I think Rondo and House have earned there playing time on the team, I'd be pissed if Payton just came out of nowhere and took there PT.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

hmm....GP going to a team that's winning in order to ride the coat tails to a championship? ....I don't believe it.

17. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

seriously. i won twenty dollars from a co worker on this. i bet him that gary payton would join the celtics before the trade deadline. tonight, i'm going to live twenty large. thanks glove.

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Bingo. With limited minutes, especially in the playoffs, he could be a difference maker.

They have two open spots... I wonder if this could get Reggie to rethink his desicion. Washed up or not, a smallball lineup of Garnett, Pierce, Miller, Allen, and Payton with 3 seconds left on the clock would be a pretty intimidating sight.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It must suck to have to keep latching on to every good team to try to win a ring.

20. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

What's left of the "glove"

[​IMG]