1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Payton blasts wade, and praises kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Sep 5, 2010.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

even if he worked hard, would his back hold up? doc rivers publicly stated that he didn't think tmac would last more than 5 years in the L when he coached the magic.

and if you saw how he trained with his old trainer, the form was terrible.

if he trained "appropriately," he may have prolonged his career. but he was declining with injuries (starting with the back) in 05-06. he wouldn't have been able to maintain his 02-05 season for very long even if he was "healthy."

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You're making some highly illogical assumptions based on the words of some ill-informed people.

First of all, who cares what Doc Rivers says regarding McGrady's health? You do realize he's not a real doctor, right?

Secondly, you're severely underestimating the importance of proper form during workouts.

Thirdly, you're assuming that he wouldn't have adapted his game in response to his physical decline. With his natural abilities and assuming he had a solid work ethic, I believe he'd have no problem developing a post game.

Fourthly, you're focusing on his back too much. His most recent "injuries" have been the result of his knee and shoulder.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

after that line, i just ready everything else as a joke too :grin:

4. t_mac1

doc rivers is a former NBA player and i assume he knows a little bit about how a player's back is key for a career. i'm just saying...

and i said he had poor form, adding on the back problems. he had the same trainer up until 06-07 so imagine what kind of bad training he was under for a long time.

thirdly, a post game is a very physical one. his body already broke down before he developed one. it would have been nice if he developed a post game like kobe in his eaerlier years. but he didn't.

back is basically the central part of your body. idk if you learn physiology or not, but back problems -> lower body compensation.

his shoulders have never been a problem although he had surgery on it.

5. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Wow...

So in your opinion, being a former NBA players makes Doc Rivers qualified enough to gauge the longetivity of a player's career? And even though Rivers' estimate was horribly wrong, you still have faith in his prognosis?

You don't actually believe the garbage you're typing, do you? I would rather believe that you're a troll instead of an idiot.

7. fallingwaters

fallingwaters Member

there you go...thanks for answering and confirming my point. all i was trying to tell you is that you didn't have to have elite work ethic to be and elite player. i don't know what Wade's work ethic is and this is the first i've heard anything about his work ethic being criticized. But for you to say that Wade has to have elite work ethic to be an elite player is bogus and you admitted that by your post here.

8. t_mac1

he's technically RIGHT. he made that comment at the beginning of the 02-03 season after tmac battled back problems in the playoffs v. the hornets. and guess when his back went out again: 05-06 and it was downhill from there (he still battled some back problems in 06-07.

you do know steve kerr also refused to give the max to amare b/c as a former player himself and playing with other guys like tmac and jermaine o'neal, he predicts amare wouldn't have a long healthy career either.

but oh yea, you're a guy who calls everyone an idiot and yet never post anything of importance for discussion.

do you even play basketball? oh yea, i remember that tricep garbage you spew way back when.

9. t_mac1

wade came back from an injury where people thought he would decline from. he came back and regain his top 3 status. i don't know, that should take more than "elite" hard work no?

and for your point, you do NOT have to have elite work ethic to be an elite player IF you have elite talent to begin with. tracy did have elite talent to work with so theoretically he may not have to work as hard as others.

on the other hand, NOBODY says wade is an elite talent when he came out of college. so for him to reach this elite status, he had to work hard. i think you're confusing that.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

If Rivers did really make those comments, it's possible they were informed by discussions with the team trainers/doctors.

Also, it's not a given yet that Doc was wrong with his estimate. T-Mac left Orlando in 2004. It's six years later now. We're still not sure if T-Mac is fit to ever play regularly at the NBA level again, and he hasn't been a regular player for two years. Doc may have been right, although ultimately it looks like a knee injury did T-Mac in rather than a back injury.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

I've never heard that before. I have heard that Kerr refused to give Amare the max because the Suns owner is a cheap b*stard.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Then you misquoted. Here's what you said earlier:

Based on this quote, Rivers projected McGrady's career to last a maximum of 5 years. McGrady has far exceeded that.

13. t_mac1

kerr went on ESPN after he was let go and said in a radio podcast that the reason they didn't give amare the max was b/c they look at guys like tmac and jermaine o'neal and where they are at now. he said amare also came out of HS, with a lot of games under his belt already, and now with the microfracture, they "assume" he would not fulfill that kind of long max contract.

14. t_mac1

REALLY? that's your argument. trying to "nitpick" as usual b/c you have nothing to retort.

anyways, his superstar days lasted until 06-07. so technically that's 5 years. nobody cares for tracy the ordinary player.

15. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Of course Wade has top talent. A 6-4 guard with the span of 6-6 one. It makes him fast without giving up length on defensive side to SGs. His ability to change direction in fast speed is non-matched in the league for his size. A top 3 player, and definitely a top 5 talent.

He doesn't have post game, he's below average from downtown and average from mid-range for shooting guards. Guys like Joe Johnson and Roy easily have better skills than him.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nitpicking? You mean holding you accountable to what you actually wrote as opposed to what you thought you wrote?

Nothing to retort? You don't even know what your argument is and you're faulting me for being unable to respond?

The proper thing to do in this instance is to quit being an idiot, admit you misspoke and say what you really meant to say.

17. Steve_Francis_rules

I could maybe understand you saying Roy, but Joe Johnson is more skilled than Wade? Oh, the insanity of the Kobe fanboy. :rolleyes:

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

My only complaint with D-Wade (apart from the fact that his mom didn't know how to spell "Dwayne") is that he'll already be 29 years old when this season ends. Most people assume he's in the LBJ/DH category of being a franchise cornerstone for many years when he's actually already in his prime and will probably decline in 3-4 years.

Skill-wise I think JJ and Wade are pretty equal, and both are inferior to Roy. Roy is IMHO the most skilled player in the league-he can basically do anything you want your guard to do, and do it well.

19. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Absolutely.

If you really think about Wade, he doesn't have that many skills. He never developed his post-game nor his 3 point shot.

Wade's scoring isn't varied, it's break your man down and take it to the hole. Repeat.

Wade is superior athletically and mentally over JJ; but skill wise I'm not sure he's any better than Joe Johnson.

20. Tesla

Tesla Member

GP is a clown, not sure why anyone would care about his opinion.