1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Neal, Should we make run for him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AusEaglez, Jul 8, 2013.

1. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Brad Miller over Camby??? Did you watch Brad play for the Rockets?

2. rogower

rogower Member

I have to think the Spurs are hoping to sign-and-trade him to one of the league's many poorly managed teams for something like a second round draft pick. Or maybe packaged with either Boris Diaw or Matt Bonner for an undervalued veteran rotation big who is wasting away on a non-contender. Wouldn't the Spurs prefer Chuck Hayes over Boris Diaw?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

haha he meant Bradley Beal clearly

4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Euro leaguers work harder... Pop sure loves his euroes

5. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I think Morey should try their hardest to sign Neal. There is nothing to lose but HUGE gain. Neal is proven he's clutch in the Playoffs.

6. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Gary Neal would be a huge pick-up for this team. A guy who would be in the running for 6th man of the year almost every season. A Mario Elie, junkyard dog type player.

With that said, I don't think its happening this time. :(

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I have no idea so many are so high on Neal. Don't be surprised if Morey does NOTHING.

8. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Why??? Because he's a gamer, thats why. Because he loves the game and can play in the clutch and will be a team player at the same time. Its extremely hard to find guys who meet those standards in today's NBA who would also be willing to come off the bench if only it helps the team win.

Neal is a unique player, and whatever team he goes to is going to improve...alot.

9. rogower

rogower Member

Agreed. Gary Neal is very inefficient which is why the Spurs are going to let him go. Plus, this type of player is very common. I'd say there is a 0% chance that Houston pursues him.

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

He had a down year from the 3 pt line, but he is still a ~.400 3 pt shooter. But, even if we needed a 3rd string pg, I wouldn't be excited about his acquisition.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

He is the worst defender on the Spurs. People need to look into xRAMP values. You can directly translate them into contribution of wins by the players. Neal did not contribute to wins last year. A -3.38 RAPM translates into: the more minutes he played, the more likely Spurs would lose.

You know why Hinkle picked up Anderson off waiver? His xRAMP was extremely high for a second year player. He had the same xRAMP as Parsons last season.

I bet Anderson was the player Morey regret the most of losing. Morey probably threw Hinkle a bone. "Take White off my hand and I will waive Anderson as a bonus for you. Pick him up and you won't regret it."

Don't be surprised if Anderson becomes a solid role player in Phil.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Hmmm. I have heard Morey talk very highly of how the Spurs got players like Gary Neal over the years.

13. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

That was probably frm before but a player like Neal should show signs of improvement in his first 3 years in the league. Not only he hadn't improved since his rookie season, he is on a steady decline. The warning signs are all there NOT to pick him up, even if he is cheap. Perhaps he needs a change of scene but if he can't develop properly under Pop, chances are that he never will.

Edit: Anderson's case was different. Spurs was forced to release him due to Stephen Jackson coming back from his injury.

#113 kuku, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Neal has handles that make Lin look like CP3

So that plus his declining shot plus playing like Manu with 1/10th the skill, makes me unimpressed with Neal.

15. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Would love to have Neal but we do not have the cap space to make a good offer. I think only 2/5.2 which Neal is going to get more

16. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Luther Head part 2

17. conquistador#11

i'd rather have danny green, don't know about you guys. I know i said in another thread you can't have enough shooters, but I'd pass on neal.

18. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

I'd rather go for the Novak sweepstakes

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Gary Neal is a rapist.

PASS

20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

He isn't a point guard. Now there were occasions when Popovich sat Ginobili, Parker, (Duncan) and Green, and Joseph was in the DLeague. Nando de Colo was the point guard, and when he sat Neal could have been considered as playing point guard, but even then Diaw was running the point. Sometimes Neal and Green were both in, but Diaw was running the point. Now I didn't watch all the Spurs games or anything, I watched all the Rocket games. But criticizing Neal as a point guard is a lot like criticizing him as a power forward. He just isn't one. He's a shooting guard, and we need a shooting guard.