1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Neal, Should we make run for him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AusEaglez, Jul 8, 2013.

1. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

I would be so stoked if we able to get him. Perfect backup to Harden and can develop into a nice little piece for a title run.

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I agree what would be better at this spot though is the question...miller or neal? Miller has been a better player but he just looks broke honestly...not his shot just his body.

Neal still has some upside. He did great in the playoffs.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would rather have Miller. He would fit in better in the Delfino role as a stretch 4.

Interesting that the Spurs went hard after Marco Belineli and yet don't want Neal back. Wonder why?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I doubt he wants what we are offering. If he wanted the minimum he could have just taken the QO.

5. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Yup go get Gary Neal cant play d but hes lights out

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Money I'm sure. Belinelli took a smaller salary to sign with SA.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think Miller is a definite no. He's out for 3-4 months once he has the surgery he has to have. By the time he finds a role on this team, I think all the players will be familiar with each other and humming along.

Neal is interesting - if we hadn't signed Brooks for guaranteed money, I think he could play a nice role backing up the 1 and 2 spots for us. He has been to the finals and played under a great coach with a big man.

We are also up to 17 players right now IIRC. Can't see it happening, but wish it happened sooner as I would have loved to see us offer him our mini MLE.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Probably out of price range. Rockets could offer the room exception but it appears they're holding on to it for during the season.

Yeah, Neal is just a shooter but I'd take him over Miller(or Reggie Williams or Omri Casspi or Aaron Brooks).

9. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Depends if he wants to come here, would be perfect in backing up James

10. platypus

platypus Member

YES neal is a type of role player that will win you a couple of playoff games by himself!

He would be a signifiant upgrade to our bench and would replace the void left by Delfino as not only a shooter but a secondary ball handler and offense creator. Plus he comes from the Spurs so he has good habits.

I'm weary of Casspi and Williams as they come from losing backgrounds so they don't have "Winning habits". Hopefully that's not the case.

11. NotChandlerParsons

Take a run at an offense only version of Toney Douglas? Sure why not.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Gladly. He's the backup SG we need.

Spoken like someone who doesn't watch the Spurs. Neal is a solid man to man defender and very good instinctually

13. megastahr

exactly...hes exactly what we need as scorer off the bench.

Bench led with

Bev, Neal, garcia, dmo, and asik

would be a strong second unit...I think with pretty solid Def for a second unit

14. platypus

platypus Member

Thats a horrible comparison. Gary Neal plays more like J.J Reddick, a player that can handle the rock and shoot from anywhere on the floor, including a pull up J.

Toney was more of a set shooter who had average NBA handles and subpar court vision.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Doubt that Neal is settling for the minimum or even the room exception. Not sure if the Rockets would even offer the room exception to him as opposed to saving it for later.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No way the Rockets offer the 'room exception.' I firmly believe they are keeping that for Vet cuts after the trading deadline.

17. megastahr

They can offer him the vets min plus part of the room exception while still saving say 2 mil...right? Not sure someone that was willing to take 2.6 mil medseason would refrain from taking 2.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They can make plenty of room by unloading players at the deadline. Brooks and Williams have non guaranteed second years.

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

solid vet, avg to above average D if the team system on defense is sound

great 3 stroke, but not just a spotup guy.

id say get him

lin, bev, canaan, brooks
    harden, neal
    parsons, garcia, casspi
    TJones, DMo, smith
    Dwight, Asik

9 man rotation of Lin, Bev, Harden, Neal, Parsons, Garcia, TJones, Dwight and Asik..

DMo and TJones would interchange depending on matchup favorability

20. NotChandlerParsons

Yeah...but we don't need one of those guys. His ball handling ability (which IMO is not that great albeit good enough to be third best on the Spurs) would go to waste here.