1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Kubiak fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Dec 6, 2013.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

you're actually buying into the quad injury thing..? Not sure I can get on board there. Conveniently comes out after being unreported (against the rules, but no fines) for 5 weeks?

2. oelman44

oelman44 Member

What a unique opinion! Your the only Texans fan I know that dislikes Kubiak/Schaub and remembers the 2-14 season!

Some of us actually see the man's entire body of work, and will judge him on that rather then just one nightmare season. Kubiak is a great offensive coach, and in his hay-day with the Texans we were considered to have one of the most potent and effective offenses in the NFL.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Man... Kubiak made mistakes - but offense wasn't one of them. This was a terrificly efficient offense until its QB went fetal. And for all the talk of conservative this, and the league figuring out that - he went to Baltimore and Flacco promplty had his best season, Forsett had his best season, the Ravens pushed NE with 30 points in the divisional round...

He spent a year with Harbaugh, who's an excellent coach. If he hires a really good DC, and lets him build a solid infrastructure, there's no reason he can't have success in Colorado.

4. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Gary Kubiak-8 Seasons-61-64-2 Division Titles
    2006:6-10
    2007:8-8
    2008:8-8
    2009:9-7
    2010:6-10
    2011:10-6
    2012:12-4
    2013:2-11

Gary Kubiak=Greatest Coach of all time. That offense was Hall of Fame worthy with Matt Schaub leading the way with no audibles and Kubiak's legendary conservative play calling.

Thank you for the laugh today, I really needed it.

5. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Damn, why didn't we keep him guys? He was the greatest coach ever just like how Case Keenum is the best Quarterback ever.

6. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I repeat, best coach ever. As stated by all of you.

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Because a coach can either be a piece of garbage or the best coach ever, right? I'm not saying he is some world-class coach, but he was a huge improvement over Capers and ran one of the best offenses in the NFL. Remember, Schaub led the league in passing yards one year, and Kubiak has always used his RB's effectively. You point out the records, but the only years that Kubiak had a legitament defense to work with we went 10-6 and 12-4.

He started turning the team around from trash to over-achieving underdogs, and by the time the O-Line, run-game, and defense started to really come together, Schaub seriously regressed and the team collapsed. I always liked Kubiak and thought he did a good job here, should he have been fired, probably, but there is no reason Kubiak can't be successful with the Broncos.

8. Hey Now!

Is that it? Some flaccid, non-sensical straw man? I'll do you a favor, bow out and let you slip quietly back into your little puddle of hate, cool? Enjoy it.

9. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Thank you, but it's more of a pond though.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nah, its been regressing with more and more film... like most "new regime" offenses do (which is what Peyton's offense was when he signed there).

Likewise, the Kubiak offense starts to regress as well after enough film gets out on it... the goal is to win it all while the offense is at its best.

Very hard to do what New England does year after year... and even then they resort to gimmick schemes (ineligible receivers, eligible left tackles) in order to stay ahead.

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

vance joseph is rumored to be his choice at DC...

it's richard smith & frank bush all over again.

while a good OC, kubiak leaves alot to be desired at HC.

glad he's getting another shot in the afc, just another coach BOB can out scheme!

1 person likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was being a bit facetious. And I agree with your points.

Still think Kubiak is great, though. Excellent coordinator. Average head coach.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm happy for Kubiak. I was never a Kubiak hater like most people around here. That 2-14 season was ridiculous. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Injuries, bad breaks, tough schedule, pick sixes.

It wouldn't surprise me if he does well in Denver.

14. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

Those teams were not great offense. They scored early and then dried out. Schaub put up amazing passing yards, but once we got to the redzone, the offense hit a brick wall. And where was the offense when the game was on the line. Did we ever rally to beat a team? Did we ever succeed in 2 minute drills?

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat. After literally everything that could go wrong did....and Schaub showing he'll never recover from that injury....it was time to move on.

I hope nothing but the best for Kubes.

16. Hey Now!

I always find it interesting the knots people will twist themselves into to stick to their guns. Yes, to answer your question - heck, their only two wins in '13 were both 4Q comebacks (Chargers and Titans).

But why do 4Q comebacks and two-minute drills matter so much? Beating the eventual Super Bowl champions 43-13 doesn't count for anything? It's just goal post moving. Those '11-'12 teams, by and large, stomped nearly every team they played.

It was a playoff-caliber offense for at least four years ('09-'12 - and they weren't bad in '07-'08, either; just injured). And Kubiak built another one in Baltimore in a single offseason. Again, there are a lot of issues you could throw at Kubiak - the offense would be way down the list and the least of your concerns.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Kubiak refusal to make adjustments did him in.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Being a successful coordinator isn't the same as a head coach. He was BAD as a head coach and that isn't going to magically change 15 months later. The league is fully of good coordinators that were bad head coaches.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The league is also full of good head coaches who were considered once to be "bad" and got better. This years super bowl matchup a perfect example.

20. Hey Now!

I wasn't really commenting on his ability as a head coach, though I would view him more favorably than most. I was responding to the idea that his offense was predictable, uninspiring, etc. There's just not a lot of evidence to support that POV. He had a very good offense here (and I never bought that the league "figured it out," btw - I think what the league cracked was his QB) and he built a similiarly good offense in Baltimore, working (as he often did here) with lesser talent.