1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GARM Faq: Kirk Snyder Trade Edition.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You know, some people knock MacBeth but regardless of whether you cared for his insight or not I think it's hard to argue that he prompted some great discussions on this forum. I, for one, used to love seeing a new MacBeth thread.

So I hope you do become the new MacBeth! :D

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

"I'm lucky I did the right thing then, because I'm a Houston Rocket now."

I'll take good luck over good skill anyday.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Would you say he was more talented that Marion or LJ?

4. don grahamleone

Did you ever get the feeling he was a straight talker?

5. don grahamleone

Nevada and UNLV are two different schools.

6. tXhiggs

tXhiggs Member

m_cable- to echo everyone else, i hope to see more of this. a breakdown on jvg's offensive forethought (or lack of) along the lines of this faq would be fabulous. great format organization

does seem like you are a multiple personality though. answering your own question with "good question."
    great post though, and i think we all refuse to admit to ourselves that howard is still a part of our plan, unless cd pulls a rabbit of his ass (and that rabbit is a power forward with defensive and rebounding skills).

7. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Wrong university. Marion/LJ were at UNLV. Kirk went to the real University of Nevada, located in Reno.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Snyder went to Nevada not UNLV. Two different schools. Though being the best player in Nevada history doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well I was doing it along the lines of an actual FAQ and made believed that it was the personification of the entire board that was asking the questions. But I can see how it could be a bit disconcerting. I'll probably change that up.

Although that "Good question" reply just felt natural. Isn't that how Q & A's usually work.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Lol i now feel stupid..i read his post too quickly and thought he was talking about UNLV....yes yes i know they are different schools....but thought he said UNLV...

EIther way like you said...doesn't have that same ring lol

11. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

It's OK... for the sake of comparison UNLV had LJ, Marion, Greg Anthnoy, Stacey Augmon, Marcus Banks.

The 4 NBA players in U of Nevada, Reno history are Edgar Jones, Johnny High (not a made-up name), David Wood, and Kirk Snyder. Maybe Nick Fazekas will join their ranks next draft.

U of Nevada's two star players before Kirk Snyder were:

Faron "Meat" Hand: known for being 6'4'' and 280.

Terrance Green: known for his famous virgin uncle coming to watch home games. (Also... TGreen was on last year's Chinese Basketball Association Champs Guangzhou Tigers)

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, he made it through 4 years and improved, even if it was Nevada. ;)
    Snyder could end up being a late bloomer in the NBA as well. It happens. We're due for a break, or twenty. As you pointed out, the risk here is pretty minimal.

I was thinking along the same lines about Head, and wouldn't be surprised to see him moved. That would be a bigger risk, for sure. With Head, we have a good notion of what we've got, and he's apt to continue to grow as a decent role player, and could even become better than decent. That's makes him one of our last realistic bargaining chips.

For who? Snyder was a surprise. The board is in a frenzy, people foaming at the mouth, and out of the blue comes this trade. Suddenly, it's like the BBS took a collective Xanax and decided to chill for a bit. Will we pick up another guy no one expected? Considering how it seems nearly every possibility gets tossed around here, we still get surprised. (see Gay, Rudy)

Hey, that was a great read, m_cable. Press on!

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

fricken awesome post m_cable, certainly the best in years

i think this is a great pick up, just for the reason we now have a proper sized 2 to defend.... as nice a guy and solid a player as Wesley was he was just too small to play the 2 these days, a combo of TMac, Battier and Snyder is nice for the 2/3 with Battier playing some 4 and Head maybe playing some 2 depending on the match-ups... would love to see Head be able to play some 1 just for his ability to spread the floor with his 3s plus his energy is nice....

well done CD, Moneyshot and JVG, Battier and Snyder is a great start

from the position we are in (ie no assets) we cannot expect miracles, small steps, and the two picks so far are both small steps in the right direction.... even is Sura some how makes it back JVG has been public in the past about having PG depth, so something will have to be done there, but also with a eye to the future you would also hope they add Lucas aswell

now we need some more help at the 4 and 5 (Ely, Butler) and something else at the 1 (Spanakopita or Banks) or even Ariza's speed and youth

#33 SmeggySmeg, Jul 15, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  14. Hmm

Hmm Member

I have a question, that I feel would be best answered by you than many of the other posters of numerous threads that have slotted Battier in the SG starting spot...

Just curious, very curious actually....

Why is it that Battier's(if Howard is really destined another starting seasons for us at the 4. Which btw, isn't clear cut... A reason is obvious when the alternative is a rookie or a Swift but, it is not so with a Battier. despite his lack of height and power, Howard is only a servicible 6'9 jumpshot. even the rebounding differential isn't alarmingly different for the possibility to be denied, or the idea to be thwarted etc..) position is presumed to be the two, when his prowess at the 3 already riles up questions of lacking foot speed and lateral quickness and, being outmatched by faster forwards despite his capable defensive attention. I mean.. if he is merely adequate, or relatively solid at the 3, his 'natural' position, wouldn't a promotion to faster/quicker expectations make his performance... pretty much below average?

I realize T-mac 's talents favor the small forward position, as we don't want an offensive drop off due to defensive focus, his bad back, not wanting 'em overworked etc... But, wouldn't we experience a bigger hit in Battier's shortcommings/weaknesses at the two than if we simply returned T-mac to his initial position?

15. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

On the Luther Head might be traded topic.

I really like Luther and don't want to see him traded he is the hard working inteligent profesional that I like to see on our roster. Unfortunately I think you may be right about him being on the block. There is a quote in one of the articles about the Snyder trade where CD says "he doesn't have much competition here". The fact that Luther IS the competition for Snyder here says to me that he is not valued greatly around the front office.

I don't like it but you have to start reading between the lines about Luther.

16. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

MacBeth. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.... A long time. :D

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Thanks m_cable, that was a verry good read. I enjoyed it. You can do this with every new player we get.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I admit, I haven't see Snyder play that much. I hear comparisons to Stephen Jackson (in terms of being a knucklehead) but in terms of "skillset" on the court is Snyder the "gunner" Jackson is? Or is Snyder's game more remenicent of someone like a Ricky Davis?

Is Snyder a catch and shoot guy? Can he put the ball on the floor and score? He looks like a good finisher on fast breaks (assuming we have any).

19. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Good breakdown, m-cable ! It's refreshing to get an insightful, fresh, realistic look at our new guy, Snyder and possible future upcomings. One pressing need I see is getting a 'banger' to hit the boards for us. Last year, offensive rebounding in a word, atrocious! I know some of that is because, JVG wants his players to always be looking up the court and prevent lapses that can lead to fastbreak points. Does anyone have any real PF possible scenarios that may work for the Rockets? J-Ho obviously good backup role player at best. Need something more.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That's exactly how interpret knuckleheads. I don't believe that he means behavior, I think that he means just what you said, the ability to grasp what the team is trying to do and put in the effort to make it successful. I think Sprewell is good evidence of that. From a behavior point of view, there's no doubt he's a knucklehead, yet JVG still tried to get him to come here last season. That's because he gives maximum effort and understands what he's suppose to do.