1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garage Door Issue

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jun 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Has anybody ever experienced something like this:

One of my garage doors opens and closes without any signal from anybody in my house. If you close it then it will open and vice versa. Sometimes it will do it continually and start closing but stop at a point and go back up then come back down then open part way then go back down again. The safety features do not cut this action either. If you place something in front of the eyes at the bottom of the door it still operates, if you apply pressure when it is going down (like put your hands under the door and try to lift) it keeps going down.

I've googled and it didn't find anything similar to what mine is doing but thought perhaps somebody else has gone through something similar.

Any ideas?

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like it may be broken. Or at a minimum malfunctioning.

1 person likes this.
  3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I think I will have to agree with HR Dept. It seems to be malfunctioning.

On a serious note: The thing is broken and needs to be either fixed or replaced.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Uh yeah, that sounds pretty bad.

http://www.spectrumoverheaddoor.com/

I had good luck with these guys, and I'll be using them again when I need an opener installed for my other garage door (what kind of idiot buys a house with no garage door opener? this kind).

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Can you post a video?

Double check all sensors, the stopper on the railing on the top, the remotes having the buttons pressed without coming back up to seem "unpressed", the "locking" mechanism that releases it, etc.

Obligatory:

Paranormal Activity 5: La Casa de Lil Pun

It sounds BROKEN and it might need FIXING. :p

6. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I was thinking maybe one of your neighbor's was programming their remote at the same time you did and they got paired until I read that last part. This definitely sounds like a safety hazard especially if you have kids. You should unplug it and hand operate until you can figure it out or get someone out there. Maybe one of your sensors is fried. Good luck.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Seems like it might be better just to replace it than have it fixed. Piece of mind. Once your garage door opener starts doing ghostly crap like that, I have to move on because I can never trust it again. It seems like when I was researching openers when buying a new one, there were always the few reviews where people said their garage door would open by itself and they would come home to an open garage. But, I just chalk it up to those people got lemons. It never happened to me. I've read sh_t like a really hot garage can mess with the electronics and cause stuff like this. I've never seen it personally. I imagine they have circuit boards and, if someone wanted to replace that, then you would be better off just buying a new one by the time all is said and done.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

9. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Have you kept up with the maintenance of the garage door? Mine used to not close cause the metal joints weren't lubricated enough and would get caught. Buy some garage door lubricant, and grease the metals joints and bearings. Pretty much follow the instructions. Do not use WD-40, but specifically made garage door lubricant. Good luck.

10. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Just tell her all girls do it.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Doubtful. It's Skynet.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

Thought this thread was gonna be about Sports Illustrated.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I KNEW IT!

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I need to try that. Our garage will open and then close inadvertently and sometimes it takes 10 tries to get it to open fully.

15. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

If you're mechanically inclined at all, I'd check your wire connections for each door sensor that's mounted on the door track. At the sensor and at the ceiling mounted motor. Make sure they're tight and are making good contact. If you have a wall mounted control panel check that as well. If anything is battery operated, replace those. It could be that one of your remotes/house panel is sticking and you just need to get some electrical cleaner to free it.

If you can find the programming instructions, you should be able to reprogram the unit as a reset. Should be able to find those on the net as well.

If all else fails, time for a new motor.

16. HPD

HPD Member

Go to local HomeDepot pay the young mans there in parking lot dey fixy any tings

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Also failed to mention that if the sensors are nearly perfectly aligned from one another they won't read the door closing correctly and will malfunction. Find the specs for the correct height from the garage floor that they need to be mounted and make sure they are within spec.

18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

19. no_answer

no_answer Member

It's clearly a ghost.

20. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

You're going to need two priest and a lot of holy water. Repeat after me...The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!!