1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gaming] Tom Clancy's The Division

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by EssTooKayTD, Sep 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You're welcome!

I'm cautiously optimistic. Everything looks good so far (better than Watch Dogs), it definitely looks like they downgraded the visuals though.

2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

There was a bunch of new gameplay available over the last few days since Ubisoft hosted an event for a bunch of media folks. I think it looks super fun. All the content released is all sponsored by Ubisoft, so reviews will obviously be positive.

Beta for XBOne to start 1/28, and for PS4/PC on 1/29. Ends 1/31.

I'll be playing on PC.

3. Awesome

Awesome Member

This game makes you shoot an un-armored enemy a few clips of M16 bullets before he dies. I don't like the way they did this at all.Even hitting a guy with a grenade or headshot wont take him down. How fun is that going to be?

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Think of it as Time Crisis RPG.

5. Awesome

Awesome Member

Awful for a game like this. I could see if it was a sci-fi game or something totally unrealistic looking, but this will certainly kill the immersion

6. EssTooKayTD

It's an RPG, so it's not any less believable than big ass swords and magic spells to kill enemies. That's my take at least.

I have no issues with the "bullet sponges," BUT I notice that enemies don't seem to react to damage. As a player, I get shot at, I move to cover, retreat/run, or make a decision that I will kill them before they kill me and heal up. The enemy AI here just seems to keep on with their current action once they take fire.

7. EssTooKayTD

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keeping fingers crossed that Ubisoft comes through on this one. I won't jump in day one, but if it looks promising and fun, I'll have to pick a platform.

I don't care for bullet sponge bosses or the unarmored human who won't die thing, but I'll reserve judgement for now.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

After the failure of the hyped Watch Dogs......I'll probably hold back. That and I'm not really one for having to shoot someone multiple times to get them to go down.

I'll wait for reviews etc....and a sale.

10. Awesome

Awesome Member

Why should they run for cover when the firepower doesn't stop them?

Hit a guy with a grenade and he just stands there. That's crazy

Yeah, probably wise to do that

11. EssTooKayTD

That's why I suggest better AI.
    One, it makes them harder to kill, and two, they won't require as many hit points, therefore, not being bullet sponges.

So do any of you have any issues with fantasy rpgs and mmos where the enemies take a ton of damage to kill? Is this not in the same vein?

Even Borderlands was like this somewhat no?

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Borderlands wasn't in anyway going for realism tho

13. EssTooKayTD

I was really focusing on the RPG part of the reasoning. RPGs are like this. Things have hit points that increase as you and your enemies get stronger.

Realism is left for ARMA and to some extent the Battlefield games, etc.

But hey I get it. It takes some people out of the immersion of the environment and game. Then again, so will healing grenades/stations.

I think taking more damage means you have to work with people to take down tougher enemies. I welcome that. If they can somehow make the boss fights more technical like other traditional (MMO)RPGs, that would be great.

14. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

So, last weekend before this game takes away my spare time. Anyone playing on the 4? If you want a teammate, send me an invite when I'm on. I have the feeling you won't be able to wander in to the Dark Zone without at least one teammate.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I can't decide if I am going to buy this game. My roommate is going to, but i'm in school. I need to spend my free time studying. The game looks so sweet though.

16. magman

magman Member

I spent around 25 hours combined during both betas and I can't wait until Tuesday to put in some more hours in the main game.

I can see how it can be a bit boring playing alone, but my brother and a couple of friends played co-op and it was awesome.

The game in my opinion looked great on pc, and the changing weather was great, fighting in a blizzard where you can barely see in front of you was a cool experience.

The bullet sponge complaint is valid, but this is an RPG first, shooter second, that being said in the beta once I had some higher tier weapons some enemies would go down with a couple of shots, or a burst.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Will be buying. Should be good until Titanfall 2/Destiny 2.

18. EssTooKayTD

I think we will be really pleased with the full game, updates, and DLC coming. I just hope it's not short on content. That's my big concern. We have one base of operations with 3 wings to unlock and upgrade.

The bullet sponge thing doesn't bug me much. if you noticed, it's all the shield the named NPCs have. Once the shield is taken out, they melt like butter.

#38 EssTooKayTD, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  19. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I'm assuming there's supposed to be a "not" in there. i think with all the missions to upgrade the three wings, side missions, paid DLC, free DLC, and the day and monthly missions they're talking about, there should be enough to keep people busy for quite a while.

20. EssTooKayTD

Ah yeah, haha.

I couldn't preload :/ I purchased off of newegg (no tax), but haven't received my game code yet. I was hoping to check it out for a little when servers go live tonight before going to bed.