1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gaming] Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I was debating before lunch, called Target to see if they'll take preorders in store, did not, came back from lunch, Walmart, Target, Walmart all sold out

got one through Gamestop before they sold out

out of all the systems, this will be the first one I'll get at launch, the rest I got within a year of launch or first price cut, pretty excited

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Still available on Gamestop website. Do they charge you the full amount upfront or when the item ships?

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Didn't you see the commercials? It's much more useful than just a public transit device. Bring it to rooftop parties, basketball sessions at the park, and walking your dog.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That 1-2 Switch game really should've been bundled with every console. 50$ for what they're showing is laughable.

HeWhoIsLunchbox likes this.
  5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

when the item ships

weird, when I posted, said it was sold out and add your email when they have them "in stock" for pre-order again, just looked again, was able to add to cart

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It makes it look like its available, but when you submit your order it throws back an error. I think it is sold out.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Crazy how it's already sold out every where.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I haven't really looked at much of it, but Nintendo screwed the pooch again by not offering up a true gaming competitor, with graphics and hardware to match.

I never got Nintendo's cutesy approach to gaming. Their fortunes died after the 64.

The Wii was okay, but once the schtick wore off, it fell flat. Nothing since then has done enough to capture my money. It's all cutesy boredom.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No plan to buy this, haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original NES.

I'm curious about the people that do want to buy this. Do you plan to make this your primary console, or are you buying this as a complement to your PS4/XB1. If somebody is a gamer, I just can't see how this could ever be your console of choice given Nintendo's complete inability to get out of house support from almost all the major franchises

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The Wii sold way more than the PS3 or the XBOX 360. Unlike those over heating crap boxes, Nintendo made money on the first one sold. Sony/MS sell at a loss at first to get users to buy their software.

Nintendo approach is make money on hardware, don't try to compete with PC (like the consoles are) offer something a PC can't do (portable) and put your IP on it.

Modern consoles are just crappy PCs that you have to pay 60 bucks a year to even watch netflix on.

I plan to buy one for the games and because it is an updated portable.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I'm buying it because it has exclusives I care about a lot. Namely Xenoblade 2, and most of all Monster Hunter (technically not confirmed, but very much assumed).
    In short, power isn't as important as games, and it should have some great games.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Graphics and power aren't that important to me either. But the fact that GTA, Fallout, Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, Batman, COD, Battlefield etc.(I don't even like FPS btw) aren't on the console would bother me a hell of a lot. It looks like 2K and Madden will be back at least for next year, but the Wii U wasn't even getting support from the major sports franchises.

It would be like having a blu ray player that can only play movies from one studio, a good one, but very little from the other studios. While you could buy another player that has access to movies from basically all of the studios, except the one. You are missing out on a lot more than they can possibly develop in house.

If support from Bethesda, Rockstar etc. develops I might consider one myself, but given what I've seen for the better part of 2 decades, I wouldn't bet on that happening right now.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. likestohypeguy

DIdn;t get in on the $299 base model, paid $130 more for three shitty games I won't be able to get half that difference on resale. IDK why amazon didn;t give me the alert i signed up for, basterds. and target, and wally world. gamestop is the only one who came through for me. best buy even flaked.

this better be good.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Ohhhh, so you're a Nintendo fanboy. That's what I was waiting for.

You know it's actually okay to like all three consoles. Weird!

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yeah, it's going to have great first party games, and that's it. Third party developers are going to drop off basically immediately like every Nintendo console.

Note: I preordered a Switch. I really like Zelda, and my wife likes Mario. I'm screwed basically.

16. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

still debating...while the new zelda looks cool...i've never been a zelda fan. is this new one more open worldish? skyrim type? the new mario looks really fun though.

hopefully they're planning on bringing a kirby game to the system.

looks like an updated mario kart...same game pretty much but a few new characters, tracks and battle mode?

i'm not sure i'd use the portability so it'd just mainly be a at home system.

i also will probably go to best buy or somewhere to at least feel and play with the controller to see if i like that

EDIT: also just reading online play is going to start being charged for....i mean i get it...but they better have updated their online structure massively or its simply not worth it.

#136 FlyerFanatic, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  17. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Interesting. When did Nintendo buy Namco and Capcom?

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I buy Nintendo systems strictly for the first party titles. Complementary system to my PS4.

In a way, it's a part of my childhood I can't seem to let go of.

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Point well taken. Well, to answer your question from the previous post, for me it will indeed be a supplementary purchase. My PS4 will get more use than the Switch... though I expect the Switch will top my XB1, since after Scalebound was cancelled there's not much I care about there on the exclusives front.
    I'll pretty much buy a system if it has even one must-play exclusive. And the Switch will have a lot more than one.

For me it's gonna be a Monster Hunter machine more than anything, and that's a Capcom property, not Nintendo. For me, Monster Hunter is up there with the Demon's/Dark Souls series. If the Switch literally only let me play Monster Hunter on the big screen and no other games for the device's entire lifespan, I'd still buy it.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

And another pathetic post. What is the point of your posts exactly? Are they to confuse, irritate, depress, or what?

I corrected someone who said Wii was a flash in the pan and said why I wanted a switch.