1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gaming Monitors [60hz vs 120hz]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheGreat, May 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

How big of a difference is 60 hz and 120hz in terms of gaming? Does it affect performance big time in games such as CS, L4D, BF?

Which one would you suggest to buy for gaming?

2. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

Actually just bought myself a new monitor the other day.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VE278Q-27-Inch-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B0043T34RK

I highly suggest it, for the price and size you arent going to beat it. Every game I have played on it (Dark Souls 2, Dota2, Titanfall) so far looks really amazing. The colors and brightness and overall quality of the picture really exceeded my expectations.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It's a huge difference. I've had a 120hz monitor that I used to compete in CS:GO with, it's a night and day type thing.

Be careful asking for advice here though, you might conjure one of these idiots who will argue with you claiming the human eye can't detect a difference.

It will be helpful in all of those games and any other game with fast moving characters/objects.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Isn't this a TN monitor, not an IPS? That would be a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, it sounds like an awesome piece of kit. (I've been reading another forum where most of the members are from Britain. Not about basketball. They use "kit" a hell of a lot!)

5. Awesome

Awesome Member

If you plan on playing any games that have fast moving objects or games like sports games then you'll get a dizzying motion blur when it occurs.

You also want to look at one that has a low response time like 2ms or less.

Getting something like 8ms @60hz sucks in that case. I had some vizio 22 inch LED tv that had that and tried to play NBA 2k and it was awful although I liked the tv quite a bit but I had to take it back.

Now I basically have the 24 inch equivalent of that guy above me... its an Asus monitor

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I use an NEC monitor that's designed for hospital-use. They have a faster refresh-rate model (crucial for games) too. Very, very high quality and accurate colors, contrast, and sharpness. It wasn't cheap, but I got it on sale for $1300. If that's too steep, I have friends that use Dell UltraSharp monitors and they love them for gaming.

7. rawool

rawool Member

I have an 24" ASUS VG248QE, been using it since February. It definitely makes a difference in first-person shooters. I got this version for its future compatibility with the NVIDIA G-Sync tech.

8. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

BenQ XL2720T 27" 120Hz monitor
    http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Performance-XL2720T-27-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00BV9AOL4

This would be the monitor I would get if I didn't already have an 120Hz monitor.

I personally have a Samsung S27A750D I've purchased 2+ years ago and haven't regretted my decision on it (well, other than it not being wall mountable). It's a pretty big difference if you're used to 60FPS gaming because the smoothness level of an FPS game is kicked up a notch. BF3 was the first game I played when I got it and running near the rocks in Caspian Border was amazingly smooth and fluid.

However, I showed my once-then roommate and he did not notice a difference at all. This is a guy that only plays League of Legends on his MacBook Pro at 30-40FPS average, but he can tell if the FPS drops below 30 for sure.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

120Hz for gaming. If you play anything competitively.