1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game Theory [NBA Offseason]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coach E, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

My question is-- under the premise that Lebron pretends to want to go to LA..

1) Cleveland would convince him for an opt-in and trade to L.A. where Cleveland can get more of Lakers' young assets? (or involve 3 team trade, similar to ours except we're moving Anderson and Gordon)

2) by virtue of trade (no increase in cap hit), the Lakers keep open enough cap space for to sign more FAs -- namely George

Of course, LA could say- "No", we'll just sign him out right. ?

Cstyle42 likes this.
  2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

No that's not what I meant. I mean does he need to play mind games to get Cleveland to trade him here. At this point Cleveland should just do whatever he says. Maybe he can tell Gilbert he'll forgive him for the letter if he trades him. LeBron IS Cleveland. They owe him everything they are.

3. Coach E

Coach E Member

Ok yeah I agree with you, they SHOULD. But who knows, the balance of everything hangs in this offseason, we’re either getting an endless warriors reign or bringing the title back to the H.

Can’t take anything as a given, gotta make sure this happens

4. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

I so hope the smoke screen is true. Money would become an instant legend.

I would hate LeBron going to the lakers. Anywhere else is better. Of course, Houston is the best option.

I’m strapped in this roller coaster of a ride watching it unfold. Without a feel for ending.

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Shelburne was just on Hoop Collective pod saying Lakers are now worried that current player immaturity is going to scare off LeBron AND George.

Lonzo’s lame diss track my have cemented LeBron going elsewhere

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lavar Ball already did that lol

DonKnock likes this.
  7. Coach E

Coach E Member

Lebron already said he wants to play with high IQ players who are TALENTED.

Nothing about the Lakers roster is high IQ, hardly talented.

clutchdabear and luckyman76 like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly this. And said such in the Odds Thread.

Great post.

9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

None of this make sense. Lebron is going to LA and nobody can do anything about that. Not even Chris Paul. Lebron's desire to go LA trump winning Championship. Why? There are 3 factors:
    1. Living in LA is better for him and his kids
    2. Already has a home
    3. He is an alpha player, want to be DA MAN on any team!! But when he see James Harden getting a majority of the ISO ball, that'll never work out (even Chris Paul defer to James). Plus not sure about the Antonio system of running up and down jacking up 3...not sure if that fits his style.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There will always be decoy cities agents will leak to increase leverage.

Be sure that Lakers is a legit Plan B if only because it'll benefit his brand and bank account.

Bron is already rich and the best player on the planet. I like to think he'll pull some stops to play with another MVP and one of his trusted friends.

Equally important will be cap considerations and finding a team who will take on the broken 2 year albatross who can't fly or shoot threes.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I'll give you the LA lifestyle stuff.

But on #3. Cleveland shot a ton of 3's in a LeBron centric offense. Kyrie did a ton of ISO while LeBron was on the team. LeBron has played with another Alpha player on THEIR team. See Wade in Miami.

We also know LeBron is in championship mode and the Rockets are the team that is best positioned for that right away.

So, in the end, we'll see. And I do agree it is likely LeBron goes to LA....BUT there are a lot of compelling reasons to come to Houston.

12. Coach E

Coach E Member

LA isn’t better for his kids then Houston, for him and his wife, sure. As for having a home? Who cares, he can buy a home in cash overnight anywhere in the world if he wants.

Your right he is an alpha, that’s exactly why he will choose Houston. He is such an alpha that what drives him now is being the GOAT, surpassing Jordan.

His numbers are going to be historical, way passes Jordan, the only thing currently standing in his way to GOAT status is championships.

The other thing about being an alpha is his desire to WIN. Being the man on a team that loses is not what an alpha is about, it’s win at all costs, never accept defeat.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What are you sending back to CLE? They aren't likely to take Deng's contract so all that's left is some young guys. Lebron would be making $35M and nothing that LAL would send to CLE would match that. LAL would have to use cap space to cover the difference in salary. That obviously takes away from the amount that they have to spend on other players.

If LA can get rid of Deng for no money back and renounce their free agents, then they have enough space to sign Lebron and George. If they can't then they have problems trying to sign 2 guys.

Under those circumstances it makes no sense for LAL to do a trade for Lebron. Just sign your 1 or 2 max players (depending if you can unload Deng) and don't give up any other assets. Why give up young assets and still end up with the same players that you would in an outright signing?

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. aroundtheblock2

Yep, and its a BEAUTIFUL thing that the Lakers are involved in this because they're so gullible and quick to believe they are THE destination for LeBron. We should all be rooting for the Lakers to get promoted more and more.

15. Coach E

Coach E Member

Game Theory Part 2: The Trippple Chin Interview

When ESPN and Woj had a offseason special about all of the possible FA and trades that would take place, they also had Daryl Maury for an interview. Most of us watched the clips of him talking about the season, and what the future holds.

He famously said that “he can’t understand why teams aren’t obsessed with beating the warriors”
    At the time most of us probably thought he came across a little bit harsh, but still the message was true.

Reflecting back now, it would appear that the outburst by Daryl was less of a impromptu response and more of a calculated message to LeBron.

He knows LeBron is tired of losing to the warriors, and how a lot of teams have completely thrown in the towel when it comes to trying to compete with GS. But not us, not Houston.

Daryl basically told LeBron, hey LeBron, we aren’t backing down from these guys, the thought of beating them is what fuels our fire. We’re gonna do whatever it takes to win. We aren’t like everyone who is either tanking or rebuilding. We know we’re close and we’re going to beat GS.

Since DM is prohibited from directly speaking with lebron, and even mentioning his name for the most part, Daryl took this opportunity to let it be known that the Rockets are in full pursuit of the champs, and the only goal we have is dethroning them.

I doubt LeBron watched it live, but I can almost guarantee CP3 sent him the clip with pride of his GM calling out the rest of the league for not trying to beat the warriors. Saying hey man, you see this guy? He is the truth, he is the architect behind us, and he is obsessed with winning.

If your LeBron, this has to resonate with you, a GM who’s as obsessed with beating the warriors as much or even more then you are. It’s gotta count for something.

16. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Nice post.

17. aroundtheblock2

Lets be clear here, LA is no more family friendly than Houston is in anyway. In fact, I would even say Houston is MORE family friendly than LA considering Houston exhibits more traditional family values than LA does.

The only reasons anyone puts LA above Houston is because of the climate and celebrities. In LA you have the beach and nice weather year round while in Houston it gets hot and humid with hurricane potential. Other than that? There's NO difference.

And when LeBron talks about family, CP3 IS a part of his family indirectly.

18. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

So Houston has about the same weather as Miami, but less hurricanes?

I agree with you.

19. aroundtheblock2

I've never been to Miami, but I would also assume the beach scene is far better than Galveston.

20. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Agreed. I heard there was blue water a week or 2 ago in Gal, but figured it was a trick the local news was playing on us.