1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game] Rocksmith 2014

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

IGNORE THIS. i meant to post this in a new thread.

For this thread..I was going to ask if I should pick up the old xbox plus this game or buy the pc version?

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I just started using RS2014 PCVersion. I was able to download off steam but the UPlay was and has been a bit cumbersome. Initial setup was OK, but tuning the guitar was a bit of a hassle, as it seemed very temperamental to get the string zeroed in. Seems a bit laggy and getting a bit of feedback (noise) on occasion. Maneuvering through the program seems slow and not very intuitive. Even leaving the program seems to take lots of extra steps. Maybe something that works better on a dedicated game console. Focusing on lessons and the arcade games before tackling a song.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I recommend the PC version if it can run it, because you can avoid inherent HDMI latency issues. That's just my two.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Sounds like your volume is too low. This is the one complaint I have about Rocksmith -- it lowers my input level every time I open the game. A small annoyance for something so valuable, however.
    Feedback is probably going to be an issue with your setup, and laggy is likely your PC (I don't ever experience any lag). As for leaving the program...what extra steps? You exit the game, then exit Uplay assuming it opened.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I really felt like I sucked today, but I can definitely feel calluses building up and I played for about an hour everyday for the past 4 days or so -- so at least I at least feel somewhat accomplished.

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Should I go with a cheap Epiphone LP Special II Les Paul for $149 or spend a little more and get a Ibanez RG421 for $299?

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I would spend a little; I felt like I outgrew my original guitar within a month. If you enjoy the sound you're getting you'll want to play more.

8. TheresTheDagger

Yamaha Pacifica....any thoughts on this guitar for a beginner and Rocksmith 2014? Looking at possibly joining you all and am following this thread with interest.

9. chow_yun_fat

I guess that's possible...when that happens, I'll have this to fall back on.

[​IMG]

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Today is the first day I haven't played at all. That being said, I've probably averaged an hour and a half for about four days, or however long I've had the game. I plan on playing tomorrow for a few hours as well.

My fingertips are numb. I guess that's a good sign?

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Yeah, if they're only numb and not hurting too much, you're already building calluses.

12. chow_yun_fat

What guitars are ya'll using? Ordered the Ibanez RG421 an hour ago with two day shipping and I have a Gibson SG from ten years ago.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I got a Fender Marauder used for cheap on black Friday. Before that I was using a baseline Squier Telecaster. I love my guitar. Not sure why this one is missing it, but mine has a whammy bar.

[​IMG]

14. NewRoxFan

I bought a used Fender Mex Strat and a used Mustang amp...

[​IMG]

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's sick, how do you like it? I was going to get a MIM Strat with a humbucker, but I wanted this more.

1 person likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

So I am using a left handed acoustic guitar. Is that ok?

I am not necessarily trying to be a star lead electric guitar player..just want to be able play some regular stuff on the acoustic.

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yes an acoustic will work. However, keep in mind that electric guitar is easier to play and requires a slightly different style.

I think you'll probably progress but slower than you could.

18. TheresTheDagger

Anybody have an opinion? :)

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No personal experience with it -- I would trust reviews.

20. NewRoxFan

I like both, purchased them from two different Guitar Centers (one in MA, the other WI). Both in very good condition (the guitar had a few really minor scratches, the amp smelled like cigarette smoke but a day in my garage and a thorough cleaning got rid of that). Probably would have saved a few bucks if I bought the guitar private party but didn't know enough about guitars to be able to feel confident that route... the amp was a no brainer at the cost: $70). Got the guitar for $325, could have gotten one cheaper at Music Center off 1960 but it was really scratched up. The good thing was GC I got the guitar threw in extra strings and a cheap but usable guitar bag.

One smart thing I did was get the guitar set up (with new strings) by Neil Sargent in Houston. He was highly recommended by people on the Fender Strat guitar forum and he made the guitar sound great.

I looked at strats with humbuckers at my local GC but at the time preferred the sound of three stock pickups since I wanted to play a range of music. But to be honest... not really that much difference to my ears and would have been just have happy with whatever pickup configuration. While I really wanted to get an MIA I really couldn't hear a difference between MIA and MIM and while I know there is a build quality difference I could hear it so I didn't want to spend the hundreds of $$ more if I couldn't hear it. btw, I really like the off-white color... some of the teal green ones and light blue ones are really good looking and less common.