1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game] Rocksmith 2014

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 21, 2013.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, good luck!

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Shameless bump, everyone must know the greatness that is Rocksmith.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I asked for this and a guitar for Christmas. I've always wanted to learn guitar.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Let me know how you like it, what type of guitar did you ask for? Any in particular?

5. Two Sandwiches

Nothing in particular. Honestly, I'd rather learn on acoustic, but I want to learn either. I'm a lefty and I've never really tried guitar. Hopefully I can learn it.

Not really counting on getting this, though. My wife and I are pretty cheap, and its kind of an expensive thing to ask for.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You probably should get a left handed guitar but, if you want to learn acoustic just make sure you either get an electric-acoustic or get an acoustic pickup. My understanding is acoustic guitars with electric connections are becoming a lot more popular/affordable.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My boss just gave me a $50 Amazon card. Amazon has Rocksmith on sale for $49. BOOM.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Excellent. My plan is working swimmingly.

9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I think I might as well order the cable and pirate the software. I need to motivate myself to learn guitar. I have an electric and an acoustic that I rarely play.

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Motivate yourself to get a job and buy the software. If you can buy two guitars and leave em lying around, you can afford it.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Semi-related question... can I download off web after buying the PC version? I wanted the cable, but don't have a CD or DVD drive on my laptop. If not, I will track down an external drive, but hope o avoid that hassle.

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I'm pretty sure I have seen it on Steam in digital download form, if you register the serial number on there, perhaps you can download it from them.

13. Yonkers

Yes, it is on Steam so you can download right away. Ease of access is no longer a reason to pirate, though there is still DRM, which I agree sucks.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

is the pc version good? the reviews seem blah on amazon.

i don't have an xbox or playstation.

15. Yonkers

Really? What were the complaints? I had the old version on PS3 and had slight lag. Haven't had any issues with the current version on PC. Only problem I have is my cheap guitar can't hold tune for long. I need to restring or get a better guitar.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I can't have a job. No real reason to explain it at this point.

I'm a student. My electric guitar, a Danelectro, I got off a homeless guy in New York for $10. My acoustic guitar was given to me years ago. I pirate things and will buy them if I can afford them. :cool:

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Based on Amazon reviews, it looks like the PC version requires Steam, and DRM is always a reason for some people give a game as low a score as possible, and others bought the digital download not knowing the game required the cable which is sold seperately, so they gave the game a low score.

18. Yonkers

Ah ok. I agree with the DRM piece but I'm too far into the Steam ecosystem to complain and I do really love the portability of the games I have in their cloud. But it's not like it was a surprise. Nor was the cable a surprise since it's clearly stated but whatever. The game itself is good.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I heart Steam, and you can play the game offline but actually it goes through Uplay. The original version went only through Steam, this one goes through Uplay even if you're already going through Steam. It's annoying, but well worth it.

In other news I just got a Steam achievement: "I Know Guitar Techniques" (Hit all guitar techniques at least once)

Achievements are fun but, usually meaningless, I'm actually proud of this one. I also definitely feel accomplished, and there's a lot of songs I can play quite well. The feeling I get when I play is seriously indescribable, I'll just call it warm and fuzzy. Anyway for reference I have 36 hours played on Rocksmith, and 42 hours on Rocksmith 2014. (I'm sure it's off up to a few hours on both)

20. Two Sandwiches

My wife actually ended up getting me a left-handed electric-acoustic with this game for Christmas - much to my surprise!

I'm getting better every day. So far I've played for about an hour each day. So far the game is good, but through some of the lessons, I'm having problems. When I do bends, particularly, it will not register what I'm doing and tells me my hand placement is wrong. I don't understand this, and I guess maybe it's me?

Otherwise, the game is great. I might also buy a book to help me along, but I'm not sure if I need it, yet.