1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Six

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That will be kind of lame if they just pass right by each other.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I get what that conversation was about. However, it's a little late in the game right? Also, that conversation wasn't held with the Tyrells. The Tyrells are the only reason that the Tommen has the crown. He has no family support from his father side anymore and Tywin told us in his last season that the Lannister gold was running out. His army was seriously depleted in the war and that was why they had to marry into the Tyrell family. Richest family with the biggest army.

Am I to believe that Mace Tyrell and the old woman wouldn't march their troops in their and kill 70 guys armed with clubs to free their daughter? Or lay siege to the city?

For the first time he is hearing the church's side of things. But this has been a while in the making.

Cersei was in prison and had no power. But again, the argument they made was that Sir Gregor couldn't take on all of them by himself. The implication by that is that he would have to. That is stupid. They have massive resources and armies at their disposal. I've been told by book readers why it makes sense in the books that they can't just go in there, but none of those reasons exist in the show.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Without the King's order? Yeah.. obviously, they're still attending small council meetings because they still respect government and rules/orders. They still respect who's the King. If they want to overthrow the entire regime, that's another story altogether.

Didn't he show up there with the kings-guard... with the implied possible threat to kill the guy if he didn't give him what he wanted? And yes... the king seems unsure and not ready to really be in charge of everything... which causes a ton of indecision and hesitancy.

The fact that the sparrow was able to talk his way out of any impending violence was not only unsurprising... it was expected.

She still doesn't have any real power... except over the zombie mountain, who seems to have been made personally for her. And yes, he seems intimidating/unstoppable... but does anybody really know if he could beat 70 people by himself? The King would still be needed to give the order for any massive army.

4. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Exactly....CLEGANEBOWL??!

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I believe the 70 followers was everyone who was immediately nearby to stop them. I do recall the High Sparrow alluding that his army included to all those who were impoverished....basically everyone in Kings Landing.

6. justtxyank

I just don't think this makes sense. The church is holding their only male heir and their only daughter, who happens to be the queen, prisoner. In Loras case the punishment is death if he is found guilty. This is PRECISELY the type of thing that would cause a major house to threaten to overthrow the king, lay siege to the city, etc.

It's just not plausible that a significant amount of type has passed without action from the Tyrells in this matter.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What if their is always one militant with Margary and Loras. As soon as their is word of an attack, their sole job is to knife the captives?

8. justtxyank

Well, then their response to the question of sending troops in there should be "They've threatened to kill the Queen if we make a move" instead of "Gregor can't fight all of them."

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not every family decides to go mercenary and take everything they want by force?

Again, I'm not a book reader... I won't pretend to know the vast history of the wars the Tyrells have fought in, or their previous extensive track record on events that initiated potential action. I'm sure GRRM may have done it at some point... or maybe not. The Tyrell's have been portrayed as a more calculating/cautious bunch... but practical in nature.

The only thing I would compare this to is when countries negotiate to have hostages freed... while avoiding war at all costs. There is a role for a civil solution... especially when the family is already in a position of power, and wouldn't necessarily want to do anything drastic to rock the boat and possibly lose that power (and overthrowing a kingdom seems like one of those things).

#709 Nick, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't they initially say something to that effect? I don't feel like they have to keep repeating it. Also, from the Cersei's viewpoint, the Queen getting murdered wouldn't be a bad thing so she'd just be interested in if her one soldier that she commands could do it or not.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Cersei told Tommen they'd kill Margery first if he tried to take them out. She's likely right, and it's likely the Tyrell's think the same thing.

I guess if the line was "Gregor (and our army) can't fight them all before they get to Margery" then it'd be better but eh.

12. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

The hype.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I forgot the Uncle was still alive . . . . heck . . .when they showed him the last time
    I was surprised he existed

Rocket River

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'd assume he'd been taking care of Lannisport since the war of 5 kings ended and only reappeared after Tywin's death......

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Really didn't understand what was going on with this.

16. val_modus

val_modus Member

Like when Arya barely missed Sansa at the Eryie?
    Like when Jon barely missed Bran at Craster's Keep?
    Like when Arya barely missed the Red wedding at the twins?

I think it's time for the Starks to start getting dubs. Sansa will see Jon IMO because Jon still has to mobilize the wildlings, council with Davos, and stab Melisandre in the bunghole before leaving Castle Black. That's going to take at least an episode, and we already know from next week's preview that Sansa will arrive at the wall this next episode.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That whole Sparrow/King scene had allusions to early Christians and the Holy Roman emperors...

Which one will see the white walkers?

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It'd be lame to do another near miss. Oh Jon? Yeah he just left. I'd be disappointed with something like that.

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I took it to mean that Cersei is going to nominate Zombie-Mountain as her fighter in a trial by combat.

20. hoplite

hoplite Member

I don't think it will be a miss; the story has to progress aggressively here on and, I believe, Sansa's story is aligned with Jon. In addition, if Theon can make it back to the iron islands this quickly, then Sansa can manage to catch Jon (especially since I don't believe Jon is ready to leave CB, and he has no clue where or what he's doing atm).

I'm hyped that Sansa will meet up with him, and that I expect a 'bird' to reach Jon with news of Ramsay having Rickon!