1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Seven

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jul 12, 2016.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Of course we knew he would survive but the whole thing was his heavy ass armor weighing his heavy ass down to the bottom of the river... at least that was the last we saw of him.

Then (heavy ass armor and all) they float downstream where no one sees them sneaking off back to Kings Landing?

My nitpicking overall has been very minimal and I enjoy every episode the same.. but that was the silliest part of this past episode. If anything you would need to come up for breath if Bronn was tugging Jamie downstream with him enough to get away from the Dothrakis and Dany/Drogon... surely someone would have spotted them.

Or not... we all have to accept EVERYTHING the story throws at us cause we're living in fantasy land. These arguments are always the shortcut to real questions of how tf.

Invisible Fan and fba34 like this.
  2. ths balla

ths balla Member

The Gilly reading was actually very important and not just a nod to the R+L=J. It confirms John Snow's lineage yes, but it also confirms that Rhaegar was not some evil person that captured and raped Lyanna like some were lead to believe.

cebu likes this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The actor who plays Jamie is roughly 6'2'' and weighs around 190. Typical knights armor might be 100 pounds. Just under 300 pounds getting swept up in a river current. Might take him a second to get back up to air or land. Idk if you've ever been caught in a current before, I have. It doesn't take much to get thrown wayyyy further than you wanted to go. Underestimating the power of moving water, I'm honestly glad you've never been affected by it but it's legit regardless.

Just funny that's what some have chosen to focus on. It honestly, truly is probably the most realistic thing that happened in that whole episode but people are pointing it out like some plot hole. Seriously, yo. Moving water is powerful.

4. cebu

cebu Member

even their scholars don't believe it.

5. cebu

cebu Member

so who's going to go down bend the knee? has Jon Snow has learned something?

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It wasn't like the river was shown whisking him away to end episode 3... he was literally sinking to the bottom.

Everyone (including myself) was left to assume that he would be among one of the captors during this episode which would change this past episode 4 vastly in plot... that's why people are making a big deal.

Basically when it looks like you've been knocked out and are sinking, people's assumptions and expectations are that you're going to continue to sink, not flow away on the grand rapids.

Thanks for the national geographic lesson on currents, but it wouldn't have much to do about anything since it was actually Bronn that whisked him away safely to shore, not the current.

8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I would be shocked if Arya gets duped by Baelish as this last episode would make people believe. I think you are right that Arya is actually the one playing Baelish. Her whole skillset revolves around being discreet and slippery. I think it would be lame if she falls into Baelish's "trap" as he would diminish her character and powers that she has harnessed. Maybe family is her weak spot though? Just hard for me to believe that Baelish can outsmart her at this point.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its a shame this episode had to be jam packing in moments that otherwise in a normal season would be huge moments in an episode like Tyrion reuniting with Jaime, etc.

However given the constructs that HBO has placed on the showrunners due to episode budget (ballooning cost of per episode cost per primary cast members) I think they did as good of a job as they could with what they had to achieve this past episode.

Episode 4 was really the end of Season 7A with Danny essentially winning part 1 of the war of the 2 queens, and side B here is about pausing the war and focusing on the threat from north of the wall and concluding the Winterfell storyline.

I think the Winterfell storyline now is obviously a big plot line that is probably a good reason why GRRM is taking forever to conclude the Winds of Winter. In the books, GRRM would go to lengths to put together a vast conspiracy with Littlefinger and the Starks that the show just doesn't have time for. In the books I'm pretty sure Littlefinger has the dagger and that will become the center of that plotline as well. The Catspaw dagger is a big deal there and its something to watch as its likely still to be a big plot point in the show as well. That would definitely be something that GRMM told D&D about when they met to put together the blueprint of the show much like they did with the Hodor twist. I just think Littlefingers scheme here is being shortchanged in the show where in the books, his plot here is going to be insanely complex, and will find crazy ways to tie in his master plan from the first book which started with the Catspaw dagger.

I'm loving the chess pieces they setup this episode though, I just wish we would have been able to spend more time with these character groups along the way which isn't really D&D's fault.

*The changed Gendrys character here obviously to mirror Roberts personality more which I think is for the better. Earlier in the series they should have handled him a bit more to hint that he'd embody Robert in the future.

*I was surprised the Brotherhood group never made a stop to Winterfell on their way to Eastwatch, but Efficiency is Coming I guess. Was really looking forward to seeing how the new Hound would interact with Arya, Brianne, and Sansa.

*My first thought is injecting Cersei's pregnancy into the plot at this particular time is an interesting choice and is a potential area where D&D can really whiff here. Unless Cersei is just lying to Jaime to keep him in line which would be more appropriate to where Jamie and Cersei's plot seemed to be headed to conclude the series, but who knows. I'll be hoping they stick that Jamie Cersei landing, but I have my questions.

fba34 likes this.
  10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I cringed when they said the rowing line. Hate the show writing in jokes to appease the fans, as harmless as it may be.

fba34 and DreamShook like this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

sorry but Tyrion has now had the knack for coming up with the stupidest ****ing plans time after time. Go grab a whight north of the wall and bring it to Cercei? That b**** just blew up everybody because of how power hungry she was, she is selfish and crazy to the point she doesn't give a crap about anybody else. Instead of trying to prove it to her, roast her in the red keep in the span of half an episode and then go towards the next objective.

This is where Hollywood is setting in too much for me.

#1111 LosPollosHermanos, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    fba34 and daywalker02 like this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

An assumption, a failed one at that. Yes, he was sinking BECAUSE THAT'S GRAVITY FOR YOU. I can't believe a 300 pound knight didn't immediately buoy to the top and swim like Michael Phelps to shore. It was a dramatic ending, a cliffhanger if you will. A little bit of dramatic license was used, so what?
    People made it a big deal because they were wrong about something silly? Yeah. Ok. Or maybe people feel themselves required to complain and nitpick about everything and since that was likely one of the best, craziest episodes this series will produce the only thing they had to render negativity on was the physics of falling into a ****ing river.
    It was a still body of water like a lake Brobama. It was a river. Bronn didn't swim him down the river. The river moved his ass down the river and since between getting knocked off the horse and the show wasn't depicted it's a pretty safe assumption that THE MOVING BODY OF WATER DONE IT.

You're welcome.

River.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The focus on the river thing is weird.

BigM likes this.
  14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

to me it was just lazy writing a'la walking dead. there were many more "realistic" options that would have made more sense.

they could have had it where brohn helps him get his armor off as they are in the water to keep him from drowning...or a boat of friendlies picks them up and sneaks them away.

or tyrion saves him and sneaks him away.

it would have been easy to write that scene to make sense.

FLASH21 likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Probably but it will be unsatisfying

Rocket River

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even if she does fall into his "trap", it's possible that he might underestimate her abilities along with the wild card that is Bran. Just ask Robert Baratheon how it works when you underestimate something you are hunting....

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But the prophecy, yo. Don't be so p***y-whipped Jamie

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Everything in life has flaws. But this show is so immense, well written and visually immersive that they have to be let go, at least in my opinion.

I have a really hard time believing that in this day and age there will be a rival to this show from a visual perspective for a really long time. It's the only show that can justify spending millions upon millions on these choreographed fight scenes and CGI. Breaking Bad, The Wire, Better Call Saul, etc are all great shows but GoT is just on another level from a scale standpoint. It stands alone on that level and will for a really long time.

BigM and tmoney1101 like this.
  19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Why not? It's a means to an end. With only a handful of episodes left arya crosses a name off her list and arguably the most cunning character on the show finally gets beat at his own game.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nice...forgot about that.

Or it could mean she dead in less than 9 months (give or take writer induced time travel teleportation)