1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I enjoyed it too.

Isn’t that the case with everything? People will pick something apart regardless of how it’s told. Especially when it’s something as polarizing as GoT. Cant make everyone happy.

Why does it have to totally follow the books? What’s the fun in that? If you read the books and enjoyed them, great. How often is a film or tv show made based on a book better than the books? Rarely imo.

Buck Turgidson and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. mikol13

Supporting Member

Yeah good point, but damn we can’t even really say that yet. The ending might blow everyone away. Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is probably true but Dany is also an idiot.

I mean Jon is a total loser as a leader and has no business commanding armies.

The Battle of the Bastards was a disaster caused by his stupidity until the Vale saved him.

This one was a no-win situation really but he threw away thousands and thousands of lives with the battle strategy they employed.

4. Buck Turgidson

This is very true. Definitely looking forward to seeing how they close it out.

5. mikol13

Supporting Member

Please don’t blow it for us. Seriously.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  6. MystikArkitect

I've reported this tool and he keeps doing it on this thread. Can others please do the same so he can be banned already. I've put him on ignore but he's going to spoil the ending for others who haven't done the same.

7. cebu

cebu Member

The faceless man could sneak in and out like that.

mikol13 likes this.
  8. Entropy

Entropy Member

I wouldn't mind spoilers if you could PM them to me.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is there some underlying reason that I'm missing why the Red Lady thought Stannis was going to lead everyone to victory against the dead or was it really just an honest mistake?

The religions in GoT, like the characters, are not black and white. More of a grey zone. With good AND bad aspects. Several characters have always been skeptical of the fire religion. So are we now writing off the fire religion is virtuous? Or... could there still be something sinister to it all?

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

This isn’t how trolls work.

11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Crazy how this was more trash then the rockets game

12. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Jon and Danny got their entire army slaughtered. I think westeros is screwed.

I think Tywin would have been the best King. He was a little ruthless, but most people seemed ok with him as ruler.

14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

This is old but still funny.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Ignored and Reported.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hear you. I haven't even read the books and probably won't. (Not my genre, really.)

But I understand criticisms b/c (if I understand it correctly) the show leaned heavily on the books for a while, with several key characters, families, plot lines, and ideas. Then they went beyond the books and of course the tone changed a lot. I mean, I get that criticism, and that's why I think it's an especially no-win situation for the writers. But if a viewer doesn't really care (like you or like me) then it's just totally fun to see what they do.

FranchiseBlade and mikol13 like this.
  17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The spoiler GIF leaked to Reddit before it leaked here.

18. Buck Turgidson

My boys Big Dave Navarro and Taiwan Lannisters

K mf G likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its one thing to veer from source material that actually happened, and get deserved criticism... but we're comparing fiction to fiction.

Part of what made GRRM's writing so good (twists, deaths, can't trust anybody, everybody wins-- then loses) also seemingly backed him into a corner that he has yet to be able to get out of (or he would have finished the series).

GOT has never been more popular or part of the mainstream universe... it has certainly cemented itself as the most mainstream premium cable TV show of all time (surpassing the sopranos), and the writers have the largest possible audience to try to satisfy (which never happens, no matter how good a show is).

I still remember the total skepticism from the mainstream when this show first went on the air... its come full circle.

arno_ed, BigM and tmoney1101 like this.
  20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That's a cheap deus ex machina. The faceless men have no limits. Why even have a war with Cersei? Just tell Arya to sneak in and off her. The end.

There's nobody to blame for the criticisms but the writers themselves who have steered the story into a corner that they can't back out of. You have to have a rock-paper-scissors power struggle for a worthwhile story. White Walkers can't beat rock-paper-scissors combined only to be defeated by plot-ninja Arya. It's cheap writing.

John Oliver likes this.