1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Game of Thrones] Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Nov 20, 2011.

1. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i thought the episode was really good, and overall i think this season is on par with season 1, as a new comer t the world of the song of ice and fire last year i was really confused through the first 4 episodes and thought they were really dragging along except they had the cliff hangers at the ends

this year i have read a great deal of the novels so my viewpoint is different but they still do a lot of character development and they get you with the cliffhanger,

last nights episode: the scene with stannis and renly was as good as i pictured it, brief but very impactful, the change in the way eddard stark's bones were returned is strange and i had this question when the lannister cousin who was sent with king robb's terms was dismissed from council in king's landing is,
    how will they create the plot to free jaime
    it took 4 episodes before they really stressed davos' fingers, there had been a brief picture of them and a brief mention form sallahdor saan, but nothing else, the arya arc has been well done although i really wanted to see her scream "winterfell!" in the fight where yoren died, as for the shadow they condensed two different attacks for time restraints which was expected, but will they,
    bring up robert's b*stard that is at storm's end
    and the shadow really looked awesome i wonder if they will show it in action or they will leave it at that scene,

next week: looks like **** is about to pop off!

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think it was my favorite of the season thus far. My only complaint is that I wish these things were 2 hours long!

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was funny seeing the old THINK TANK show up
    Rock-N-Rolla reference

Rocket River

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I am continuously impressed by how well the show is adapting the story with its own original additions. I've never liked the 'but it's not like the books!' types, so I am enjoying watching this adaptation but with a few nods to what I know of the story.

Harrenhal was great, and I think that Arya's character progression is great. Tyrion/Joffery/Bronn (there's no cure for being a c**t' lol ) and Renly/Stannis were very entertaining.

And holy **** at Melissandre scene, they didn't hold back. That's why I love that this show is HBO.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Thought the episode was good (haven't read the books).

I'm not so sure how I feel about the fantasy aspects and the way they are introduced. My first moment of this was the birth of the dragons. I don't mind it, actually it's cool, just the way everything goes in such a non-fantastic fashion, and then these moments (shadowbirth) that kind of shock things up. I'm not sure it doesn't make for a better story in the longrun, but the contrast of the reality and grit of the show with these supernatural elements just doesn't quite sit right with me.

I guess it's the fault of my expectations, but I keep worrying this thing is going to go all "Lost" on us and cheese out. I hope they don't. I don't mind the fantastic elements, I just am not sure I like the way they introduce them, or the feeling I get from the contrast while watching the shows. Perhaps if they did them more in a hitchcock way, as they did with the blood magic and Drogo, I would like it better. I don't know. The show is so real, I just hope they don't make it less so, trying to impress everyone.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It won't. Magic stays scarce in the story.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BM5aNNXzoAU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You and me, too.

I'd go one further. Seems these episodes typically end at about 50 minutes. Add 2 minutes for the opening credits (which I do still enjoy), and I'm feeling ripped off. Go the full hour, people!

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Kinda like LOTR? There is magic, but its not the driving force?

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It was obnoxious in the book when it came in to play also, you have long swathes of non-supernatural, then all of a sudden there's a real-live ghost running around. You get used to it, but it was definitely jarring and kind of disappointing.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

There is nudity in the books, but HBO is adding extra nudity scenes so they can make their episode quota. As mentioned earlier the Joffrey scene was unnecessary with the exception of them thinking they need nudity in every episode.

I loved the Renly/Stannis scene, and I'm glad they showed the demon birth. Wasn't sure if they would do that.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The wife and I have been complaining about that as well, a full hour would be nice but we are getting 45 to 50 mins.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

There is so much nudity and sex in the books. Some is just assumed like Stannis and Milisandre or Renly and Loras but most is very explicit and in your face. After reading the books I don't feel HBO went away from the entent of the books with all of the sex and nudity. They even reeled in the rains a lot with the Sansa Stark scene. Joffrey had her clothes ripped off not just ripped.

There were several scenes that have been combined but I think they were done very well. They combined scenes with Milisandre birthing a demon. I will not go into detail for fear of ruining something but those who read the books know.

They also combined several scenes with Arya but once again I think it was done very well and will serve the series well. The torcher scenes did not happen at Harrenhall in the nor did the scene with Tywin. Having said that I think it was a very good change and serve the series going forward. I think they are really starting to show the transformation of Arya here.

And just for those who did not read the books Arya added the name Poliver to her prayers towards the end of the episode. They were very vague on Poliver in the series but he is the one who took needle from Arya and the same one who has needle now.

14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Love the show, but still cant for the life of me, figure out who is on who's side? lol :confused:

15. crash5179

Now you get it. Just wait as the seasons progress if you are confused now.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps I missed it, but I was surprised they didn't have her add The Tickler to her nightly prayer. I can't recall if they made mention that that was the interrogator's name or not, but they certainly gave us a nice picture of his methods with the Rat Bucket deaths. For some reason her hatred of that guy stuck with me a lot more in the books than Polliver.

And I disagree that the scene with the whores was just to throw in unnecessary nudity. This was the show writers way of showing us some of Joffrey's limitations. He certainly knows that Tyrion is there at least in part to subvert his decisions, but his way of getting back is through blind, cruel violence. While Tyrion utilizes cunning and deception, Joffrey is showing why there is no way he's going to win at the politics game.

Plus, boobies.

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So I am the only person who really likes the actress they got to play Margaery Tyrell?

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've enjoyed her so far. Although she was such a blank in the books until much later. I remember being very conflicted for a long time as to whether or not she really was a virgin. They are giving her dimension in the show much earlier on than I remember in the books. I think the actress has done a great job. Her back and forth with Littlefinger in the army camp was fantastic.

19. crash5179

Yeah I kept waiting for her to add the tickler to her prayer. The tickler is basically exactly how I imagined him but there was no reference to his name.

I think the show is doing a great job showing how evil Joffrey is. Great scenes that are very true to the spirit of the book and are in line with who Joffrey really is.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Don't think you could get away with showing a naked 16 year old girl on HBO.