1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game] Madden 09 Demo Out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jtotheb, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Downloaded it today from XBL.

It runs you through the new Madden Skill Test so that the game's difficulty level can be "fitted" to your skill level. It's pretty cool...kinda looks like you're playing football in the Tron universe.

Then, once you're done with that, it takes you to Madden Moments where it only lets you play the last 1:40 of last years Super Bowl. You guessed it..you're the Giants and you're trying to score on the game-winning drive. That's pretty much all you get to do.

The graphics are flat out GORGEOUS. I was also very impressed with the gameplay. It does look like they've re-vamped most of the game engine...a lot of new animations.

Football season can't get here soon enough for me!! :D

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

d/led last night, was pretty good as far as graphics I liked the gameplay and was a big improvement from last year, I may buy it on 360 for the first time in years, with the exception I bought it for the Wii last year.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

They say it has 85 new features/upgrades/revamps. Sounds like they're pulling out the stops for the 20th Anniversary.

There's going to be a collectors edition that includes Head Coach '09 and some behind the scenes stuff. But the cool this is that you can play retro Madden ('94 I think) with updated rosters. That's a very cool idea but I don't think I'm going to spend the extra dough for it.

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'll admit that I actually was pretty impressed by it too. Not enough to go out and get the full game when it comes out, but maybe Madden 2010 (or possibly 09 after some price cuts). It is pretty close to what I wanted for a 360/PS3 football game, although I'm assuming there won't be any bad bugs and/or glitches.

Didn't really play that much of the demo though since I didn't really like the setup. I would have preferred 2 minute quarters or whatever. Probably could have come away more impressed under those restrictions (able to check out defense, special teams, put together multiple drives, etc.).

edit: And somehow, my skill level was All-Madden in 3 of the 4 categories (screwed up a lot on rush defense, should have gotten All-Madden there too), even though I haven't even played Madden much at all in the last 3-5 years or so. Seemed strange to me, but maybe I'm better than I thought.

5. Anticope

Anticope Member

Do they have new announcers on it finally?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

1. High pass % found in NCAA also in Madden
    2. No sliders in Madden, hardcore guys are pretty ticked although the Madden IQ thing might suffice.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yes. It's Tom Hammond and Chris Collnsworth.

8. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I found it very boring for a demo honestly. Gameplay is under par from what I've expected from a football game since ESPN 2k5. Graphics were ok I guess but it "feels" too tight. Play calling screens are pretty small, which I don't like. On the field, all the cameras "cut" in and out very quickly, making me have to adjust and it just feels very rushed. I guess if You guys have been playing Madden for years, you might be impressed.

But as a 2k gamer I can tell you the gameplay is not there. Infact, ESPN NFL2k5's gameplay is enough to buy a first gen Xbox for.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

after 4 years Madden still can't play better than ESPN NFL 2K5.

I'd rather have an updated roster version of ESPN NFL 2K5 than Madden 09.

The demo sucked.

10. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Yeah, I downloaded it this past Friday. I had waited along time to play it too, and what a letdown judging from the demo. Its just something about the new look and the control scheme that bugged me. The Madden IQ thing was pretty cool I guess, its looks real nice in HD. The absence of sliders is going to turn a few folks off, but I guess thats what the IQ thing is for, it adjust the difficulty based on how you do on the test. If you want it to be easier, just do crappy on the test, lol. In 08 I played on All-Pro with a few adjustments to the sliders(I raised all the computer's AI to 85, and left mine at all 50's), it played tough but not too tough for leisure play. A roster update for 08 would be cool with me, rather than play 09 from what I have sampled so far. Its a demo, so maybe the full version will be better, at least I hope.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

<object width="464" height="388" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://www2.funnyordie.com/public/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=2643458547" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><embed width="464" height="388" flashvars="key=2643458547" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" src="http://www2.funnyordie.com/public/flash/fodplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><noscript>See <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2643458547">Madden 09 Jumbotron</a> and more <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com">funny videos</a> on <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com">FunnyOrDie.com</a></noscript><div style="text-align:center;width:464px;">See more <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com">funny videos</a> at Funny or Die</div>

12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

wow was 2k5 really that much better?

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I have the full game (don't ask how) but so far I say its the best football game on the next gen systems. That may not be saying much but it is all we have. Graphics are great but there are glitches. From what I see, there is no accelerated clock or even an option to challenge calls. Passes will go straight through players heads/hands/body making for some ridiculous interceptions and catches. The running game could be much better. Still has problems with blockers and defenders "bunching up". I like it though, I think I can live with those and hopefully they release a patch.

15. Christopher

Christopher Member

Haven't got Madden for years now.

The games all were so similar, and then when they got exclusive rights....I knew that would only get worse.

16. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

LMAO "hey are u by a closet"
    "why"
    "hangin up"
    lol

17. RocketsMVP

RocketsMVP Contributing Member

I'm probably going to pick up a copy of this game, but wanted to know if anyone knew of any good deals out there.

So far, BestBuy will give you some mini strategy guide you can download or Gamestop will give you some $50 coupon book (not sure what's in the coupon book). Got any better deals?

18. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Is anyone here good at this game? Im getting burned with TO by roommate and its pissing me off....help please with defense schemes!