1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game Developers Conference 2008

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Feb 19, 2008.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

http://www.gdconf.com/

I've been a bit too busy this week to keep up with what's scheduled and what's been presented so far. The big thing is probably Microsoft's keynote tomorrow (2/20):
    http://www.gdconf.com/conference/keynotes.htm
    A couple of other highlights I can think of off the top of my head include a session from the members of the FF13 team, a presentation involving the 360/PS3 version CryEngine 2.0 (the engine powering Crysis for the PC), some Fable 2 stuff from Peter Molyneux, and some more UE3.0 stuff. I'm sure there's a ton of other stuff I'm forgetting. They're all at the link I gave earlier.

I'll try to recap this at the end of the week, when I have a little more time and all the events are over.

BTW, note that GDC is in San Francisco, so make sure to adjust all the times to your time zone if necessary.

2. wink2moochie07

SWEET I cant wait till the GDC so I can see the 360 continue to demolish the PS3 in every way possible.

3. OrangeCountyCA

Microsoft's two big titles in this years GDC seem to be Fable 2 and Too Human. I don't have a 360 yet but I follow their games. I'll have to say that I'm looking forward to Too Human.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/02/19/gdc-demo-kiosk-xbox-360-suffers-red-ring-of-death/

GDC demo kiosk Xbox 360 suffers Red Ring of Death

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Sometimes it's just so hard to tell whether or not they're being serious. But why not:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Motorstorm
    Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    Warhawk
    Rainbow Six: Vegas
    GRAW 2
    Burnout Paradise
    Skate
    Tony Hawk's Proving Grounds
    Assassin's Creed
    NBA 2K8
    Fifa 08
    Madden 08
    Virtua Tennis 3
    Fight Night Round 3
    Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    The Orange Box
    Devil May Cry 4
    CoD 4
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Rock band
    Guitar Hero 3
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Virtua Fighter 5
    The Darkness
    DiRT
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

What do all those games have in common? Why yes! They're good PS3 games! And Tekken 6, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, MGS4, and FF13 are one their way. All exclusives.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

drexlerfan, man, seriously; this is like the fourth straight thread where I've seen you make a 'why I love my ps3' list. listmaking is the among the worst of the fanboy warz posts. Please just stop. What good do you really think that will do?

Those guys are just trying to get you riled up and start stupid crap. And it's working.

you just got your ps3 - so please - don't get sucked into the fanboy crap. let it go.

In any case; this is the first thing I've found interesting from this year's GDC:

http://kotaku.com/358436/pc-gaming-alliance-officially-announced-here-to-save-the-day

I'm a PC gamer who has kind of fallen out of it into more console stuff now, but I'd like to see PC gaming get a boost. And hey, I'll probably build a new machine sometime in the next year so I'm all for it.

Those are some big names that are part of the group...

8. wink2moochie07

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune-Meh, looks about as interesting as Tomb Raider.
    Motorstorm- Boring repetitive tech demo of a physics engine
    Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction- Not exactly a system seller...its a platformer not named mario, good luck selling systems with that.
    Warhawk- Decent game, has potential to sell well in the future, but its nothing special.
    Rainbow Six: Vegas- Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    GRAW 2-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    Burnout Paradise-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    Skate-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    Tony Hawk's Proving Grounds-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    Assassin's Creed-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    NBA 2K8-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    Fifa 08-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    Madden 08-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    Virtua Tennis 3-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    Fight Night Round 3-Superior 360 Controller and framerate. Ill stick to the 360 version
    Elder Scrolls: Oblivion- OLD 360 semi-release game. Port/10
    The Orange Box- Everyone around the world can tell you that the 360 version outshines the PS3 one in every aspect, the PS3 version, like most games, was poorly ported FROM the xbox to the PS3 this is no different.
    Devil May Cry 4- Great all around game, runs equally well on both systems.
    CoD 4- Online without VOICE CHAT? Come on now...talkin mess is half the fun!
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma- Played this game on Xbox1 in 2003.
    Rock band- Same game, not bad although without people over it is just a guitar hero with different instrument choices
    Guitar Hero 3- Hard to tell the difference here, this game uses none of either systems potential
    Unreal Tournament 3- This is one plus to hand to the system, it did functions well with this game.
    Virtua Fighter 5- I will take my 360's VF5 ONLINE, which by all accounts makes the game even more fun that it already is.
    The Darkness- I prefer the Xbox 360 controller for FPS games, nothin wrong with this version though.
    DiRT- Meh, this game is complete MEH just like MOTORSTORM. Racing games get old fast. RIP Colin McRae.
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance- Crappy game overall for any system.

Tekken 6, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, MGS4, and FF13= Decent haul, no complaints here.

Just so you know, I do OWN a PS3. It has been sitting collecting dust while my WII and Xbox360 blow its exhaust on to its shiny black frame. Maybe when final fantasy comes out then there could be a spike in sales. As for now the Wii and X360 are enough to hold anyone over until Sony gets less cocky and gets its head out of its Japanese loving ass.

Oh. and I have had my xbox 360 since LAUNCH with no problems.
    If you PS3 fanboys want to laugh at a systems break failures need I remind you of the PS2 DISK. READ. Error.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

10. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

rofl...at least you could get three to four years of reliable play before the dre occured. sony also warrantied the dre issue after the warranty expired. the dre was no where as bad as the rrod. the rrod is the worst ever in the industry of gaming consoles. i never heard of people going through 6 or 7 ps2's, but it's common for the 360.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I would be interested in seeing a non FPS and non sports game from Xbox 360. Lost Odyssey seems like it'll be awesome but what else do they have?

Also if you have a PS3 collecting dust, why isn't it your primary DVD/BR player?

Just for the record, I'm not a PS3 fanboy, Nintendo PWNs all.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you easily get baited, like someone threw a fireball at you in the corner and you try jumping out of it.

Sony does have good customer support, but Microsoft has been great on the RROD, they are pretty fast on the repair time and the customer service people are pretty nice.

It took them less than a week to get mine back from the RROD ;)

13. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

baited? no, i'm proving him wrong when he considers the dre fiasco to be on the same level as the rrod fiasco.

this is where people who don't know anything about gaming get confused. they take some fanboys words as truth. if no one speaks up about the inaccuracies, they'll be led to believe false information.

the other day i was in sears and this customer brings a ps3 cooler to the register. i told him he doesn't need it and it's a waste of money. being the average joe, he was worried the ps3 had overheating issues like the 360. i apologized to the employee's that i cost them a sale, but they were cool and agreed with me.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would this fall under the what would jesus do category?
    just kidding

I don't know what to say. I guess you saved someone $20. you have to realize that sales guy probably makes minimum wage and doesn't care about crap. Try asking a bestbuy guy something about TVs and its like that I just stayed at a Holiday Inn commercial.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to list the Xbox 360 exclusives that are out and will be out in the future, but it is overwhelming.
    I will name one that will put the 360 over the top..............

FABLE

16. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Might want to play this one again on both systems. PS3 version should be technically superior in visuals and framerate, although Criterion did a good job of making them virtually the same. A few other games probably deserve corrections too (pretty sure The Darkness on PS3 was gimped like most 360/PS3 ports).

Not sure why I bothered though.

I've kind of been underwhelmed a bit by the upcoming 360 exclusives (especially in comparison of PS3/Wii 2008 lineups, or even 360's 2007 lineup), although I admit they haven't really shown much. Hopefully they show some more of this stuff at GDC.

17. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I love how some kids come out here to compare toys.

"Mine is better than yours" and its the same n00b over and over.

Hilarious.

I've got a Wii, I've got a PS3 80 gb, and my oldest son might pick up a 360 elite in the next few months. Personally, I don't have much time for these toys anymore. I get them for my children. I'm to busy living life than to worry about "which gaming system is better".

#17 Falcons Talon, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  18. Remix

Remix Member

too bad that wasnt the case at the Game Developers Conference

[​IMG]

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/19/microsoft-gets-rrod-at-gdc/#comments

LOL

19. Drexlerfan22

I wouldn't have made a list, but it took two seconds to copy from the other thread, so I figured why not? Didn't take any effort on my part.

I'd also like to point out that this always happens in *response* to 360 fanboys. I don't post these things if I don't see 360 fanboyism *first*.

20. Drexlerfan22

The point is that there ARE games for it. Some people don't want to spend $1000 for a PS3 AND a 360. Madden is the only game I can think of where the PS3/360 difference is actually noticable.

And why should I care about the PS2 disk read error? Yeah, I know. It was terrible. It caused me to go through 3 PS2s in 6 years. I was pissed at Sony for that. Why do you even bother mentioning that? Do you honestly think I support everything Sony does and make excuses for them? Noooooo. The PS2's reliability was terrible, and it was a pretty s***ty DVD player. But that's not an issue for the PS3. On the other hand, my brother has been through 3 360s in 2.5 years.

Stay away from dumb generalizations like "PS3 has no games," and I won't have to say anything...