1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FX] Devs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Mar 10, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Kid programmer aint fooling nobody, but she is a lot cuter in that photo than I wouldve ever imagined though.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Whoa, now the algorithm can predict the future.

I do not think Forest cares about what happens.

Lyndon.....

boomboom likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought that was always the plan for it
    The problem was they felt it was immutable.

Also something about bring his kid back

Rocket River

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Nero

Nero Member

I am amazed this show was made, it is so far beyond 'network television'. If it was on HBO it would be getting a ton of attention. The next (;ast?) episode should (hopefully!) finally answer the 'big mystery' of
    'what happens at midnight' - Forrest and Genius Girl seem to think it's because the entire universe just.. ceases to exist.. but my wife and I think it's probably because Lily somehow manages to break or destroy the Devs Computing Machine, and it simply could not see past its own end. Also, I am pretty sure she pushed that girl off the dam. Especially since it wasn't shown.
    Can't wait for next week!

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Oh I think the blonde chick is the real villain of the show. The scene watching the family in the cave while she was laying down next to Offerman, she had the reflection of fire over her body. I couldn't get a pause to take a screenshot of what I'm describing but it's towards the end of that scene. Besides giving a sort of implicit bias to encourage Lyndon's suicide which was immoral, I think this scene where she has flames over her, but Offerman doesn't, is to sort of clue the audience in that she knows more than she's letting on about events that occur after Lily arrives at Devs and does whatever happens on the season finale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could be reading more into it than happens but am excited to see what happens next episode.

donkeypunch likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought the kid that fell off the bridge was a boy.

I think that Lilly may "enter" the machine, recreate igor or something.

Rocket River

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was some bullshit.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im not sure what to think about it. I dont dislike it. We knew it was a miniseries so there is not going to be some bullshit cliffhanger nonsense found in nearly every serialized TV show, so therefore there was only a limited ways it could have ended.

I think the takeaway is they found a way to actively simulate Everetts many world simulation where as the Theory of Relativity currently states that is impossible to visit many worlds. Forest refused to believe in Everetts interpretation and instead focused on Penrose Pilot wave. Since Forest would only allow the team to approach the Pilot Wave method, they could effectively predict the future. Lily finally proved to him that Forests interpretation was bullshit by tossing the gun aside. Forest finally gave in to Everetts interpretation thus the QM could no longer predict the future since the team was no longer forced to approach the pilot wave theory

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm specifically talking about how through some unexplained hocus pocus Lily and Forest's consciousness was able to enter the DEUS simulation after they died in the real world. I loved the show up until the very end when this occurred.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ex Deus Machina
    I did not care for the end because
    1. They never shown any hint that they could interact with the machine at all
    2. They never shown any hint that they could insert people's will into the machine
    3. What was the point of the whole show now.

meh . .. .

Rocket River

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. likestohypeguy

Is it over, I can watch it now? Don't like to start anything I have to wait on in installments.

Edit man critics on RT are not kind to it, but I like the actors enough and any sci fi series that is even over 60% have to try. Ex Machina is among my favorite sci fi movies too

#31 likestohypeguy, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  12. Nero

Nero Member

After finishing watching it last night..

Well, needless to say, I vehemently disagree with the notion that everything in the universe is quantifiable and predictable, especially not by a small computer in a room on Earth.

The whole point of the show was to display what happens when people give in to the sort of despair brought on by believing in 'determinism', thinking that no one really has any choices to make or can influence what happens, that famous old saying 'free will is an illusion'.

No, it's not. Case in point, in Devs, they would say they could predict where a ball would land if you just closed your eyes and threw it somewhere randomly. No. There is nothing measurable or quantifiable or predictable about a ball, at rest in your hand, suddenly hurled in a random direction, in which even you yourself do not know where you are throwing it.

Yes, you could measure backwards from the event, but absolutely no, you could not do so going forward.

That said, in the world of Devs, they WERE able to predict such things. How?

My theory is, they were already inside a simulation from the beginning of the show, and these people inside the simulation simply unknowingly tapped into the data of the sim.. and yes, in THAT kind of case, since it actually IS a simulation and everything exists within its boundaries, then yes, everything would be both measurable and predictable.

They didn't state that, of course, but that was my takeaway.

I understand why people are disappointed however. A show like this, delving into 'deep' territory, is sort of making promises that the show will have answers which can match the mysteries.

Inevitably, that kind of endeavor fails. Because there ARE no satisfactory answers to those kinds of mysteries. It's the same kind of thing in Garland's other works. I absolutely HATED Annihilation (what a terrible piece of garbage), and I was ultimately very disappointed in Ex Machina. Beautiful, great premises, interesting ideas to start, but all inevitably fall flat at the end. Just my opinion though..

It reminds me of times when I am dreaming and I happen to be trying to read a book. I am trying really hard, trying to turn the pages, trying to make out the words on the page, but there is always this very uncomfortable sort of failure about it, I can never read it, no matter how hard I try... because it is all constructed in my mind on the fly, there ARE no words to read.. so while my mind is sort of randomly deciding to have me reading something in my dream, it breaks, because there isn't anything there.

Same sort of thing happens in movies which try to give answers to the profound mysteries of life. They will always fail, because they in fact remain mysteries.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Even if they were in the Sim . . .they still could not ultimately control/predict everything

Rocket River

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I liked the positive spin.

I feel for Katie. Glad she was who she was.

I think Lily is the perfect character to do this.

This could have concluded more intricately but it is alright.

Could have shown more of the other scenarios.

#34 daywalker02, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I liked the show and I liked the ending. They strongly telegraphed that...
    Forrest wanted to live inside Devs. You can only watch a man gaze longingly at his daughter on a big HD screen for so long before it’s no surprise he tries to craw inside. I still didn’t see it coming, though. Exploring or living inside a man-made or controllable reality has long been a fantasy of mine, so I liked it.

Good show. Alex Garland has been killing it. The characterization was certainly very slight, but it wasn’t really a show about character.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think there was the Star Trek film 'Generations' where Kirk was
    stuck in a fantasy nexus and couldn't get out, but everything in it was favorable.

#36 daywalker02, Apr 17, 2020
  17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think what they get wrong with Many Worlds is the idea that a strand of hair on someone's head is it being a different event. Like it is, but you could break down the difference in many worlds by a change of location of the orbital of a single electron that makes up a skin cell made up of likely millions of fundamental particles. Like from this article , if you weighed 154 lbs, the fundamental particles that make you up would be about 7 billion billion billion atoms comprised of quarks and electrons. That's a lot particles whose individual location could be slightly different but could still allow for the same macroscopic turn of events that could go unnoticed. So you don't need a strand of hair to be placed differently on Jesus for it to be a different world. You'd just need one electron, one proton or one neutron to be in a slightly different orbital location with about 7 billion billion billion particles to choose from in Jesus body, and the same crucifixion and historical events in Devs could still play out exactly the same, no strand of hair on Jesus head move required.

Likewise with Lyndon's suicides. There should be an almost innumerable amount of other scenarios where Lyndon made the choice to walk away and live, not even having the conversation much less risk falling off the edge. The idea behind determinism in Many Worlds is that all possible outcomes will happen. You're just linked one continuous world view that you get to experience while a nearly infinite number of other copies of you are living out their one continuous world view. And Many Worlds isn't infinitely many worlds. It's really just the idea that if you were to single out one elementary particle into a wave function, all the hills and troughs of that single wave function will each have their own probabilities to determine the location of the elementary particle when you observe it. What you observe is the universe splitting as you get the result to determine the particle's location in that experiment. There are also other worlds with that same wave function, where the location of the elementary particle was in a slightly different orbital location. We just get to experience the one world that yields the result we get from it. Not the others.

Many Worlds just assumes all the other probabilities from the wave function don't collapse into a singular event upon observation. It just assumes there's a fundamental limitation to what we as observers experience. We get one world view. Not all of them, but the others do exist beyond our grasp.

From a story telling perspective, I get why they couldn't get into so much specificity. They're covering difficult topics that are hard to digest for a general public and somehow need to narrate a good story with those ideas. I thought they touched more on Laplace's Demon than anything. The idea of a being of supreme intelligence that understands the location and momentum of every single fundamental particle in existence and can predict events that happened in the past and will happen in the future with it. That's what the Devs machine was.

#37 London'sBurning, Apr 17, 2020
    pippendagimp and Space Ghost like this.
  18. likestohypeguy

Wow it tried to look EXACTLY like Ex Machina. Not just the look of glass structure/ tech bunker in woods/middle of nature look, but the way it was shot, where something going on with a character getting into something, going somewhere, with not directly related short flashback bursts of them prior, on their way or on the phone, something that led them there, to the same type of music. Felt so similar, that much was awesome.

Otherwise this one fell flat for me. Worst of all the acting. Offerman in particular. Sitting around just holding that stern expression works on the comedic clean cut conservative woodsman, but does not play at all on a long haired bearded disc golf playing tech billionaire. Well he also added a million mile stare to his repertoire in this one. Then so many of the main players, nothing but that too-slow talking, expressionless acting was all horrible. There were exceptions, the security chief was great, the best in this actually, the russian handler I wish there'd been more of, and the homeless guy animated even though I hated him. Can do without so much androgyny.

There also just wasn't enough there, for this many episodes. It should have been a movie, a short limited series at most. They had NOTHING through long stretches of middle episodes. But that's how it goes with these series so often, movie ideas are stretched into series.

Ultimately if like me your watch threshold for sci-fi is around a 60-70% RT score, you do kind of have to watch this. It just looks and sounds so good, a real high quality production- J. Sizzle had right on with the ex machina feel. Unfortunately devolves into a very poor man's less fleshed out minority report type plot device, that has you rolling your eyes. Still would recommend.

J Sizzle likes this.
  19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just finished the first episode. Really trippy. I like it.

Also, Alison Pill...would.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]