1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FWIW] Rumor I heard today...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I heard today from a Penn State alum and booster, that rumor has it Urban Meyer will take next year off, and then replace Joe Paterno the following year. I don't know how reliable this source is (I don't think it's very reliable to be honest).

The one thing that has it making sense to me is that State College is just a few hours from Meyer's home town. He could turn that program around, too.

Discuss.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Hmmmm, that could be interesting. Now, all Urban has to do is figure out a way to clone Tim Tebow within the next 2 years, and he'll be set.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sounds ridiculous. If he has a stress related health problem and that's why he's retired, really then there's no reason why he would be coaching at Penn State, Penn, Penn Prep, or Penn Junior High.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Exactly. This rumor is about as valid as Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden being linked to a college HC gig.

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I don't understand why he would choose to leave a top 3 college in Football (at least recruiting wise) year in and year out, in order to join a college just to rebuild it.

Coaches usually don't make that jump unless they are coming up from a lower level school (See: Urban Meyer -- Utah -> Florida).

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, doubt it.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sounds like total crap to me. Typical kind of thing to hear around a program like that. Delusional fan base. The TAMU crowd thought they had a shot at Cowher or Gruden 2yrs ago, LULZ.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Wow, as an alum, that's just flat-out embarrassing. I never heard about that, but I don't doubt it. For some reason, we Aggies tend to think we are more relevant on the college landscape than we actually are. Now, if we beat LSU this year, Sherman stays, and we continue to recruit like we have the last 2 seasons, that could very well change.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TAMU is underrated as a coaching destination IMO. It isn't a Michigan or UT, but its right at the top of the 2nd tier. Great fans, facilities, recruiting hotbed, support, tradition, etc... but yes, the actual student base and some of the alums are a little unreasonable.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Being in Bryan/College Station doesn't help either.