1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Future] Greg Smith at the starting 5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Dec 16, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

No just stop. Smith isn't ready to be a starter.

2. trowa2

trowa2 Member

wish greg smith and asik can swap their height

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I wish asik had greg smiths catching and finishing ability

4. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

He finishes well, but he still has to develop a better post up game and mid range shot to be an effective starter.

5. just a word

just a word Member

Here's a random thought: what if DMo plays at the 4 and Smith at the 5? It makes me grin because the 5 would be shorter than the 4, but Smith is more developed defensively than DMo.

Not sure they would start, it's just an interesting idea to me.

6. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

Haha, yeah if you could combine Smith and Asik into a single player, he would be a BEAST.

7. JD88

JD88 Member

I think with a full year as a starter, and working with the training staff on his hands, Asik can fix his problems in regards to catching the ball. There are drills specifically made to improve that, a full summer of working on it should improve his catching ability tremendously

On a side note, Houston is in the top 2 or 3 in ppg, because of the ability to get out and run the floor. Consider it's not just Asik's rebounding ability that allows us to do that, its aka blocked shots or when he alters them. By altering shots even when he's in the general area, it allows for more rebounding opportunities which in turn allows us to begin the fast break.

Asik should start. He's a hell of value per his numbers in regards to the salary he's paid.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

With Morey saying that Asik played through a bad illness just makes me :eek:

You mean he can play better just by being healthy? Holy crap.

Omer is a beast and absolutely deserves to start. I wouldn't mind reducing his minutes a bit and increasing Smith's though. 28 and 20 would be a nice split.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

What about playing the both at the same time with Smith playing PF? Would that work? A lineup of Asik-Smith-Parsons-Harden-Lin could be interesting.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think our offense with Asik in the game really needs a PF who can at least hit a mid-range jumper, if not the three ball. I think Smith and Asik fill the same role on offense and that doesn't work out too well. Smith is better at it, but Asik is a better rebounder and defender and affects the game in more ways.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>.@<a href="https://twitter.com/ju_smith4">ju_smith4</a> leads NBA in FG%-63%. 4players w/poss usage&gt;=17%. No surprise: had highest FG% ever in NBADL (67% 185/276,&gt;100 FGA). 22 yrs old!</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/281643521482575872" data-datetime="2012-12-20T06:13:42+00:00">December 20, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. carayip

carayip Member

Really? I think Tyson Chandler led the league in FG%, no? He shot something like 70%!

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Keep both and run both. Smith can go hard for 20 mins and can change the game much more if he doesn't have to save up his energy.

14. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Greg Smith is looking like a rookie Carl Landry. Has that same explosiveness around the basket, and enough shooting touch to become a good jump shooter later on. And he's YOUNGER than a rookie Landry, which is even scarier if you think about it.

Definitely shows you how the DLeague can be a farm system with proper utilization.

16. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

Asik is our defensive backbone, we could try pkaying them together

17. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

i'd like to see morey get another solid backup 4/5 that way smith can sometimes play the 4 for more interior defense. smith moves VERY well. and he may actually posses some shooting skills. anyone remember his baseline j in that spurs game? havent actually seen him shoot the ball so who knows. anyways, this notion that 3pt shooters are a better fit. i dont buy it. they can run high pnr with asik and have smith screen weak side or post low. that little hook looks damn good these past few games. and remember he's not dunking everything so his 63% fg% is legit (not like tyson chandler who dunks everything). alot of his shots are close layups and post hooks. this dude can ball. and isnt he making league minimum?

18. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

heresy

19. munco

munco Member

I'd play both at times. Smith is too good to only play 10 minutes a game

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Smith is at his best around the basket. Asik can only play around the basket. The offense is predicated on penetration towards the basket. It would be cold day in hell before the Rockets staff decide to put them together in a game, except maybe for specific defensive purposes.