1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Futbol question...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tXhiggs, Jul 29, 2005.

1. tXhiggs

tXhiggs Member

So I'm obsessed with soccer, and this obsession with the sport only grew stronger as I just returned from Europe a few days ago, where everywhere you look someones wearing a jersey. So i was wondering...

what are the best soccer video games out there? ive played older versions of EA's fifa series, but nothing recent. Any suggestions?

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

It's also on PS2. I'm not sure if there's a new one coming out soon, but if there is you should probably wait on that one.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Last Soccer video game I had was FIFA 2001 with a DC United player (I forget the name) on the front. That was when PS2 came out.

There was one time I saw a game advertised that was of the style of the NFL Blitz and Slugfest (beat each other up) named Red Card. You get to really do some damage to the opponent, slide tackle him and hurt him bad, take him out of the game, even, and the ref would NEVER bring out the card.

There is also a World Tour Soccer. This one had my favorite "CD America" and other Mexican teams before any other game had them (now FIFA has them). I rented this last one like crazy.

4. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

BEST SOCCER GAME FOR XBOX OR PS2 IS DEFINATLY ANY KONAMI WINNING ELEVEN SEVEN

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

In a thread about futbol three Mexicans replied back to back to back, what a coincidence. :)

6. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Futbol is the devil. ;)

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I heard winn 11 was far and away the best game. Nobody else was even close. Too bad my x-box is dying on me. I want to play with adu.

8. SwoLy-D

Well, he didn't say "SOCCER", which, we all know it's the devil's way of saying Football. Go to England and say "soccer" and see what they tell you... :p

9. PhiSlammaJamma

USA is ranked 6 in the world. It's soccer now.

10. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

This was discussed alot on a soccer board back when the rankings first came out. The FIFA rankings are a complete joke, anyone who believes that the US is better than teams like France, England, Portugal, Italy, Germany and Spain doesn't know much about futbol. Yes, we beat Portugal and outplayed Germany in 2002, but we still have a long time to go before we are on the same level as those nations. In 10 games, the US may win 3 or 4 against any of the nations listed above.

#10 RocketFan007, Jul 29, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  11. SwoLy-D

Mexico is #5. It's FUTBOL. :cool:

12. tXhiggs

tXhiggs Member

thanks guys, i bought winning eleven, its AWESOME

now must go back to playing...

13. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

man the winning eleven series is the greatest sports game ever made, if not the greatest video game of recent times. that game will eat up your life.

14. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

Heck no. Winning Eleven 8 is an AMAZING GAME. Graphics wise, awesome. Game-play, ok. The thing I don't like is slowing down before you shoot. You could make the argument that in real life, you do have to slow down to cross or shoot the ball. IMO, players do it all the time. That takes the whole creative aspect of the game out. Still an excellent game, though.

Fifa 2006 looks CRAZY. My goodness those guys are going all out. I was disappointed with 05, they had this crappy point system to buy players, and I ended up having a superstar line-up in my second season. The Graphics of 05 aren't that good compared to Winning Eleven 8, but Fifa 06 has some amazing graphics.

Whichever one comes out for the new generation of systems is the one I am gonna buy. I don't think they'll re-release Winning Eleven 8, so it looks like I'll be playing footy with Fifa 2006 and my Xbox 360/PS3. :)

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I don't think the US is better than Germany, Italy or England, but I'm not so sure about the others. France hasn't done anything since Euro 2000 despite having a lot of great players. We DID beat Portugal and what has Spain done lately?

16. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I just started liking the FIFA '05 after having it for close to a year. It wasn't very fun to play at first but now I have the hang of it. How do you buy players during a tournament season? I am playing in the Premier league season and can't buy players (there's no option for it). I had to set up the team before playing the season. Is there a way to do it in season? Thanks.

17. RocketFan007

You can only buy players when the transfer window is open (January and during the summer), just like in real life.

18. RocketFan007

We beat Portugal, but I still think they're overall quite a bit better than us. We could beat any team on our day, but if still think they'd beat us at least 6 out of 10 times. Spain and France haven't done alot lately, but neither has the US, it's not like winning the Gold Cup is a great accomplishment when considering the competition. I truely believe that the US would have a VERY tough time qualifying for the World Cup if they had to compete in a region as difficult as Europe. Do you really think the US is better than a French team with Zidane, Gallas, Henry, Cisse and Viera, or a Portugal team with Deco, Ronaldo, Carvalho, Andrade, and (an aging) Figo? What about Spain with Puyol, Vicente, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, and Juaquin?

19. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Thanks for the info RocketFan007.

I am not defending the U.S. being ranked #6 or whatever because the rankings are a joke but France flat out sucks without Zidane and so far Zidane is still retired from International competition and France may not qualify for the WC'06 (they're in 4th place in the group behind the Ireland Rep, Switzerland and Israel). France is too talented to be trailing those nations. I think Portugal and Spain are better than the U.S. but the U.S. has made GREAT strides and is showing they belong in the WC. If Greece, yes Greece, can win the EuroCup2004, than someday the US can win the WC (who thought we could ever say that with a straight face, only less than 10 years ago (1998), we were embarassed in the WC.

20. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

US had one good run in 2002, it wont happen again, trust me. Ranked 6 in the world, is definately not close to accurate at all. THEREFORE, IT IS FUTBOL