1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fundamental Flaw With Team Building and Philosophy

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheMountainTop, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Just because our players are good people doesn't mean they don't have a mean streak.

1 person likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

David Carr was a bad 1st pick overall
    Dave Ragone was a bad 3rd round pick

Yes, only Schaub has been an above average starter... but the early aggressiveness/rolling the dice/ultimate failure did have them scale back some of the over-reaching for QB's and had them focus on building the team up first (with ultimately better results than the first go-around).

3. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Better results yes (playoffs), and don't get me wrong as I believe in building the team around the QB is important. But at what point, do we stop building around team and spend a high draft pick on most important position on team? As mentioned before, I just think of all the wasted picks Rick Smith has, those 2nd/3rd round picks could have been packaged to get someone with upside such as Bridgewater, Carr, even Garoppolo.

Guess we let the season play out, and hope coach can make Hoyer into an effective "game manager". As for original topic, just because we don't draft wife beaters, rapists, and/or serial killers don't mean the Texan's don't have a mean streak.

4. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

With the NFL, more than any other sport, it all comes down to the organization. There is a reason that there is a core of teams that tend to be good year after year while others have one or two good seasons then flame out.

And being a thuggish team just makes you good enough to be a 1st round exit.

5. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Texans are to much of group think organization. No one knows who the buck stops with when it comes to player personnel and that is frustrating for fans. You can tell from Hard Knocks that Rick Smith is a Middle manager and controls or runs nothing and he is the GM.

6. conquistador#11

I never really let the second and third round "wasted" picks bother me because the organization was able to get better or just as good talent in the 5th, 6th rounds and undrafted. It evened out and more.

We're So quick to play the blame game for missing on the Montgomerys but never give credit for the Arian Fosters, Barwins, quinns, earl mitchells, cricks, an offensive line that has consistently ranked top 8 since 2009, with the exception of the pick6 fest year, a line mostly made up from renegades and late picks.

All those pick ups helped us to 10-6, 12-4. The death of one arm snowballed chaos, and
    now we're here. In fact, a foster and a defense with players chosen by the last regime had us waiting for a cleveland v baltimore result on the last day of the season. Better situational coaching and we'd have won one out of the cowboys/steelers game.

All I'm saying is we just need one competent arm to get back to opening that window.

That said, 2014 is the only draft where a "wasted" pick would concern me, only because we needed a qb and there were qbs to be had. instead, we took a Guard. But what can you do? if the coaching staff liked any of them, they would have been drafted. =/

Out of our 3 coaches, only one wasn't a qb guru. And He was the only one to give a 22 year old the keys to the ferrari. thanks a lot, david! I can't even remember why carr even got to start. Did banks get hurt?

Had we had a qb guru in 2002, we probably pick up Michael Bishop, ex patriots and Steve Beurleine plus shaun king, have them compete to see who is the best teammate. Julius peppers is chosen, riots are happening for not drafting david carr. We wait til 2005 to finally draft a qb, Aaron rodgers :p
    (RELAX, alternate time line)