1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fuel for the Mobley haters????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcage, Aug 27, 2002.

1. jcage

jcage Member

I would just like to get something straight, I don't dislike Mobley. I am a true Rocket Fan and supporter. I was not too fond of Barkley, but when he put on the pinstripes and became part of the team, it was all good. I thought when we drafted Mobley we got a steal. I can't think of any recent 2nd round pick that has had the type of numbers Cat put up. I read a lot of post where guys trash players for being selfish, but then they ignore the fact that Cat took less money and stayed in Houston. He could have gone to Toronto for more money but he didn't. Some of the posters on this board will never give credit where credit is due. I personally think that we got Cat at a bargan. I just thought it odd for Steve not to mention him. Add to that the Sonics got turnes down flat when they asked for Eddie, so I thought they might target someone else.

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

People who design their screenname like Cato=Bum have nothing better to do than hate and break down other people. They have nothing positive to bring to the table and see they are the people who used to call us choke city.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think nearly everything Cato=Bum says about Cat is true. HOWEVER...

If the rest of your team is in place, it's not a BAD thing to have a pure scorer sitting in your shooting guard spot. In fact, that's pretty much where you want a player like that, isn't it? Hey, Kobe jacks up a lot of off-balance garbage, too.

Mobley came into the league as a 2nd-rounder who most thought would be luck to make the 11-man roster. He's had to build his 2-guard confidence by telling himself to TAKE THE SHOT. Hopefully at this point, he's confident enough in his abilities to start working on other aspects of his game, such as D.

And who cares what kind of shots he tosses up -- we've got Ming and Eddie G. sitting back there to grab the ones that don't go in!

4. LeGrouper

There is a reason it is called the shooting guard posistion. It is funny when people say someone is doing a bad job by being good at their job. Don't forget that Mobely always plays much better when surrounded with other scorers and last year that was not often. Do you remember how good he was when Barks was still here and the opposing defense looked inside?

5. kuj007

kuj007 Member

I sure don't want to hate on Cat, but there are definitely things I don't like about his game... wait... let me rephrase that more accurately. I don't dislike his game. I dislike the way he's been used in games, and whether that's Rudy's fault or Cat freelancing, I'm not sure. Either way the Isos have to stop. they're just not good basketball -- it's "Get by basketball, 'cuz we don't have too many other options". We're going to have options this season. In spades. EG is going to be the bomb, and Ming will open things up big time.

If Cat (or Rudy) can adjust his game a bit, he can be a GREAT asset to this team. No doubt he has skills. He was a steal in the 2nd round, and I love his ability to score. But there has to be some adjustments to the plan. I don't have any doubt that Rudy & Co. have figured this out (they've got more bball experience in their collective little fingers that we have as a group) and I'm just waiting to see it next season.

Let's back off Cat until the season gets going.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Mobley is one of my favorite players; he is an exceptional talent with a variety of basketball skills. I think he is every bit as good as Frances talentwise. Plus, he has been very durable (few injuries). I like his fire, his excitment for the game. He appears a bit out of control at times, but so does Frances. Potentially, this is the best backcourt duo in the league. I am hopeful of a breakout year for them both. If Mobley is traded, I would be extremely disappointed.

7. LeGrouper

Well put solid. That post made me happy!:D

8. RedRock

RedRock Member

The haters on this board are something else. How can one base their opinions on a work in progress? This team has been in a rebuilding mode the last couple of seasons and not one player yet has a defined role and is still trying to find an identity. Cat is a truly remarkable offensive player. Yes, his shot selection has been suspect, but one must remember what this team went through with injuries last year(MoT, Rice, Francis). Mobley was the lone true offensive threat for a portion of the season, hence the iso's and # of shots.

Now that the pieces are starting to come together (Yao, Griffin, Nachbar, etc.), the roles on this team WILL start to become defined and each player will be able to do what he does best. Defenses will NOT be able to concentrate on one player such as Cat. The # of shots will decrease but the quality of shots increase. Let's see if we hear the same complaining after this season.

9. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Why is Mobley on the billboards if they are going to trade him? Maybe Steve didn't mention Cat because it is so obvious to Steve Cat is already one of those guys, a fixture. It's all speculation.

#29 ricerocket, Aug 28, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2002
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Just because you would like to see him play some defense and at least occasionally pass the ball, does not mean that you hate the guy. I like him but I still would like to see him committ to defense. His lack of dedication to playing defense gives the impression that he is saving himself for offense, thus, scoring points is what he cares about the most. I.e., putting the "me" over the "team." You can't advance in the playoffs in this league without defense.

But I still like him.

:)

11. leehoang

leehoang Member

just cause stevie didn't mention the cat's name doesn't mean he's going to be traded. and i think cat would be the last on the list of who's going to be traded off the rockets.

12. gram!

gram! Member

what?!?!?!?!

yeah mobely is soooo selfish, he fu*kin goes nuts when another teamate hits the winning shot. he lives and dies by the rockets, he took less money to play for rudy and all he cares about is his numbers???

get fu*kin real! rudy even admitted that he had been usin' iso's because that is the only thing he had available because he lacked an inside presence! last year, he gave cuttino freedom to do what he wanted because the team was ****.

just be real, thats all i ask, cuttino loves his team and has only done what was asked by his coach.

i agree with ricerocket, it is pretty obvious that cat is stevies bro and will be there, now chill the fu*k out and wait till the season before you "fans" go and start hatin'.