1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Frustration with Jeff Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hank McDowell, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I love the defense the Rockets play, but I do not understand why Jeff does not use his full stable of players off of his bench when things are not going well in a ballgame.

Mo Taylor was horrible tonight. He rebounded well but could not hit a shot to save his life. I think it's fair to say he was a liablity tonight. So why not give Alton Ford a few minutes to see what he could do? Could he have played any worse offensively than Mo Taylor did this game? What could it have hurt?

When things are going SO bad with a player, why not let someone else have a chance?

Why not let Nachbar see the court from time to time?

How about letting Amaechi play at least a minute sometime before the end of the season? I mean, we did give up a first round pick for the guy, shouldn't he at least get in during garbage time at some point if for no other reason than to save our other players from risking an injury or something? I would rather see Amaechi blow out his knee in a blowout loss to the Spurs than Cato or Ming. This just seems like common sense to me.

When Francis can't run the offense, and Moochie can't score, as has happened at LEAST a few times this year, why not let Mike Wilkes have a shot? Honestly, what could it hurt?

It seems to me that Van Gundy is so set in his ways that he is going to go with his set rotation no matter what. This seems very stubborn to me, especially when things are not exactly going perfectly so far this season. What is the point of having a 12 man bench anyway?

I know these players do not deserve to be starters, but how can they ever be expected to contribute down the line if they never get any game experience at all. It just frustrates me to see players who are clearly slumping stay in the game and run the Rockets offense into the ground time after time.

2. sun12

sun12 Member

Stubborn? remember who JVG coached under, Pat Riley, who famously stuck to a guy who shot a dismal percentage in game 7 of the NBA final against the Rox. That is called stubborn.

You know what, JVG and Riley's style of basketball is outdated. Both of them need to learn how to call plays under the zone defense. Riley can't do it, can JVG do it?

3. montelwilliams

JVG is complete opposite of Hubie Brown of Memphis. JVG only uses 7-8 players, while Brown uses his entire bench and runs down his opponents with his always fresh players.

4. ttstk123

ttstk123 Member

JVG preaches trust, but he doesn't trust his bench. Did he do the same at NY?

5. ttstk123

ttstk123 Member

Playing tough D really wear you down also. More reasons to use the bench more often.

6. Man

Man Contributing Member

Yeah. Right now..I would rather have Brown. I think we have a number of bench players who are capable of playing. And this will keep our main guys fresher and better. Of course they are all sick.

I think he is sortof stubborn..isn't everyone!

I think Padgett and Nachbar and Wilks and Ford should get to play. Moochie and Amaechi...no need for them.

What we need is shooting..Padgett, Nachbar, Wilks, and Ford can all shoot. And they hustle on defense...they can make shots I am sure.

I don't know why he doens't use all of his guys. In the newspaper, he said when you're using an 8 man rotation...only one or two guys can do bad...and when you use more guys..it's okay to have 3 or 4 guys not doing well.
    !!!!

WHY DOES HE NOT PLAY THEM!?!?

I like the idea of using all our guys.

Yao and Francis and Mobley are our main guys. Everyone should split the remaining time...

7. egn

egn Member

Looking at our players and then looking at the Memphis players, I can see why.

8. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Top to bottom, Hubie Brown has a better team.

9. sup123

sup123 Member

i agree JVG needs to play the bench. If anyone ever goes to a game they should hold up a sign that says JVG is a dumb A@@ and PLAY THE BENCH.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, I would say Houston has a better top and Memphis has a better middle and bottom.

JVG definitely is stubborn and is annoyingly sticking to a short bench, despite lack of production. I remember an interview with him on 610 where they asked him about changing the starting forwards and he said they would not be changed for a long time if ever. To me, that is a silly thing to say when your starting PF was a desperation last resort. What if MoT had come on even stronger? He still wouldn't consider it?

11. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I'm completely reversing on things I have said in the past, but I agree.... I would like to see JVG do whatever works right now. I don't care about long term success at the moment, and he shouldn't either. I want whoever can shoot the ball on the court immediately. If someone can't hit the rim, bench them. Bring someone else out and see what happens.

12. Man

Man Contributing Member

Heh I am feeling you. They were just horrible..miserable..embarrassing..JUST DO ANYTHING TO WIN!!! OR TO SCORE! God...sad. :D "Professional team" :p

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Padgett needs to be back on the court at least he can shoot and rebound. I would like to see Alton Ford get some minutes too and Pike's minutes to go up.Wilkes is not a shooter but he doesn't dribble around like Moochie. I don't think he can make much of a difference.

14. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

looks like jvg is gonna give wilks another chance. meech's placed on the IR with "intestinal virus/food poisoning"

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_Activate_Wilks_Place_-94297-34.html

15. Charvo

Charvo Member

Opposing coaches welcome Cato in the lineup with Yao. They enjoy doubling Yao when he doesn't even have the ball. Someone please tell Van Gundy that zone defense is allowed now.

16. Charvo

Charvo Member

Van Gundy has been exposed as just a defensive-minded coach.

17. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

You can't compare Rocket to Grizzlies. Almost the whole Grizzlies team (12 players) are high draft picks except WATSON and OUTLAW. For us, we have one undraft and three second round draft picks and some low first round picks. Almost every Grizllies player has trade value while we have at least five or six players with no trade value.

:)

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Of our bench:

More Pike.
    A little Boki.
    Definitely see what Wilks can do ahead of Moochie, just for the hell of it.

And I'm getting concerned about our pickup of AG and what happens once he gets healthy; he is a defense player, correct? Turns out that's not the problem.

19. jlwee

jlwee Member

Riley n JVG are both outdated. Riley is smart that's why he quits even before the season started. JVG is plain stubborn, refuse to change.:D

20. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

There is no flow in the JVG's offense, it's outdated. Ever since the NBA move to zone defense, this kind of half-court offense is hardly working at all. And Jeff is stuck with no dillema, he is going no where right now. He ain't going to change his offense cuz he don't know any other offense than his own. But ultimately, we need more smarter players on the floor, so I can't say i have to blame everything on the coach.