1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

From Houston, did you enjoy going south to Galveston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houstontexans, Apr 29, 2018.

?

Did you enjoy Galveston?

1. Yes

72.6%
  2. No

27.4%
  3. Have not touched there yet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

As mentioned Shrimp N Stuff is great for some fried poboys.

Brews Brothers if like craft beer and good pub food.

We go to Mosquito Cafe and The Original. We have a place on 13th street so its a short bike ride away. Sorry Tilman I don't f!ck with the Landrys Inc when I go to Gtown.

Deckard likes this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

We are launching Waitr in galveston soon so I’ve been down there all this week. The water is super blue, it’s crazy. I was talking to a restaurant owner and he said this is actually pretty common, but this is one of the first times the news has made a big deal about it.

Random food advice. I grabbed fish tacos at Smooth Tonys yesterday. The bomb!

#62 CCorn, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    TWS1986, B-Bob and Deckard like this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, fairly common. When there are high pressure systems it represses the waves from churning the slit runoff we get from the Mississippi.

Owner at Mosquito Cafe was a shithead to me once because my two-year-old son was playing on the floor. He's not a breeder. I swore off The Original because they charge for extra tortillas.

Deckard likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Exactly this. I can't tell you how many times I've been fishing down there, swimming out and standing on the 2nd, 3rd sandbar, and been able to clearly see my feet.

It is however terrible weather for surfing.

5. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Blue water made a return to Galveston again Friday.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Nice, I'm thinking of heading out there today for the first time in years. Have never taken my 5 year old so figure now is a good time.

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice bump. Back in the 1950’s, the family went to Galveston often on weekends. My father knew a tall Black gentleman who had a cart on a corner along Broadway where he sold the best tamales I’ve ever had. My Dad was crazy about them and we always got 3 or 4 dozen, bringing a bunch of them back to our house off Reveille in Southeast Houston, bike distance from Gulfgate Mall. The beach was huge and the water was often clear. Those classic big two story wood frame houses all along Broadway. Huge trees. So many of both are gone now.

Before they built Loop 610, there was an amazing place to eat, the Ranger Drive-in. Chicks in little uniforms came to your car to take your order and gave you a metal tray that hung from your lowered window. They brought you great burgers, killer steak sandwiches, malts and shakes with the metal container with extra goodness, and what I thought were the best french fries in the world, what the Ranger called “dip fries,” lightly battered fries made from fresh potatoes before anyone else thought to do it. It was on Telephone where it ran into the road that eventually became 610. Better than Prince’s, which was also damn good, much better than it became later.

I have so many memories from back then. Guess I better stop now before I bore everyone to tears. Time for the Clippers vs Oakland - game 6.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Were you wearing an onion on your belt at the time?

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not hardly, Fatty! The area was largely filled with small houses built for and purchased by vets of WW2 and Korea with loans thanks to that highly successful government program, the GI Bill. That included my father, my uncles, some cousins, and most of the parents of my friends. “What did your father do during the war?” was a common question asked by anyone you became friends with, eventually. It was a very nice working class, lower middle class neighborhood, with none of the commercial crap built later that you would see today.

My Dad enlisted in the Navy in the Spring of 1942 so he wouldn’t get drafted by the Army or the Marines. He built radios as a hobby when he was a kid, which he mentioned when they asked him his background, and he ended up in a highly secret program developing advanced radar for naval ships, a word he couldn’t mention, even to my mother. He was eventually stationed at the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, teaching radar tech to guys that were usually older than he was, and my parents lived in housing provided by the Navy.

They made lifelong friends, although a couple of the fellows didn’t survive the war. Dad got to know the actor Tyrone Power, who was training to be a Marine pilot there. A group of them often hit the bars that catered to the sailors and Marines, something my mother wasn’t thrilled about. He was one of a small group of radar experts who decided to volunteer for service in the Pacific. They thought they were going to “miss the real war” as crazy as that might seem to some.

The war had turned decidedly against the Japanese and they knew it. Dad ended up on the big carrier, the Saratoga, and sometime in late 1944 and early 1945, 5 of the radar guys, including one of Dad’s best friends from Corpus, were flown to the part of the Philippines that had been captured and began installing the latest radar on capital ships. Battleships, cruisers, and some of the carriers that needed it upgraded. Their tour ended and they were assigned back to Pearl. Flown from the Philippines to Guam on a B-25, with just the pilot and co-pilot on the first leg of their trip, in route they were shot down, a story I’ve told before and won’t tell now. Dad lived, his good friend didn’t.

No onions involved. ;-)

Agent94, Xerobull, Kam and 1 other person like this.
  11. Xerobull

I need to buy you lunch and hear more of these pre-610 stories.

Deckard likes this.
  12. Roscoe Arbuckle

I think you missed the joke. Pretty sure it was the style at the time...

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Spell it out for me.

14. Xerobull

Deckard and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Xerobull. I didn’t catch that episode. The lesson for me is to never waste my time responding to a post by Fatty.

16. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

We are blessed to have Galveston as our neighborhood next to Houston. It is growing to become a destination.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

It was the style at the time

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not good news. The speculation that it could be from runoff fighting the ITC fire sounds possible. It shouldn’t be too difficult to find out from sampling the hundreds dead fish, an unknown number of birds, sea turtles, and at least one dolphin, possibly more, washed up on Galveston’s East Beach. The woman they interviewed was pretty flipped out about it. That’s understandable, since it’s unusual and she has small children. Fishing along there might not be a good idea until the cause is discovered and it’s declared safe. Early to be thinking about swimming, in my opinion, clear water or not, but likely not a good idea for those who might do it at this time of year anyway (water’s cold!) until they figure out what’s up.

Actually a good heads-up, Nick, for folks thinking of fishing on that part of the island.

ThatBoyNick likes this.