1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

From China w Love (& Curiosity toward the political leanings of d'Gentlemen of Texas)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by StanleyHartwell, Aug 16, 2011.

1. StanleyHartwell

Hi, I'm a Chinaman (like Fu Manchu) and I love American Politics (like you). As a wise man once observed, American Politics are the American Idol for men. I don't know who doesn't love American Idol, but I certainly do.

I have some questions for the gentlemen of this board. I don't want to offend anyone, but I always thought Texas is a place of fundamental evangelicals and Tea Partiers (you know as a Chinese I'm brain-washed). However, the discussions on this board on Rick Perry and politics in general surprise me. It seem that a lot of you are much more moderate than I imagined and some of you actually lean toward the left. Not that American politics have a left compared to the rest of the world, but left in America nonetheless.

So my questions are: is this board somehow different? What are your thoughts regarding the likes of Michele Bachmann? What do you think of the debt ceiling debate fight that just happened?

And most importantly, I'm interested to know what you guys think of America's long-term global competitiveness, esp. against China :)

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We're smarter than most. Most texans play with cows and don't know how to use a computer.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've never watched a single episode of American Idol and never will.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think Texas is more "libertarian" than evangelical. We have quite a diverse population.

This forum is more liberal than the general American population.

Bachmann is inexperienced and says dumb stuff.

The debt ceiling fight was not fun and accomplished little.

The competitiveness of the US against China is highly uncertain at this point, but I think it's fair to say that Americans are highly concerned about it. We have world class universities and businesses, but our education from kindergarten through high school SUCKS.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

All kidding aside. Obama received 46 percent of the votes in the last election. Conservatives tend dominate the elections where the urban areas are pretty balanced. Since this is a HOUSTON rockets board, the members here tend to be more liberal than average. I would also guess that basketball fans tend to be more liberal than football or baseball fans.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Which part of China are you from? I bet there are tons of Chinese regional stereotypes that really doesn't apply any more since migration of people within China is a lot more common these days. The same movement of people is happening in the U.S. Texas is the new California, starting with Austin :grin:

7. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

Oh jeez, when will Texas ever become Cali?

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I wouldn't consider this board representative of Texas or the US. There is a sharp leftward slant, especially in the D&D that is not seen in Texas overall.

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Where to begin?

Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. I mean, it's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination. StanleyHartwell, you are a madman. When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow? I want to party with you, cowboy. But the two of us together? Forget it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm gonna volunteer my leadership to this platoon. An army without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Sergeant Hulka isn't always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... Sergeant Hulka.

#9 CrazyDave, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Do they grow weed in China?

[​IMG]

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how serious this post is but taking it on face value I don't know how good your English is or your knowledge of American history but the terms "Chinaman" and "Fu Manchu" (when referring to a person and not the facial hair style) are considered mildly offensive. Its the same as calling a black guy "boy." "Chinaman" was a term used back during the 19th Century to refer to the Chinese who worked the railroads who were mistreated and denied basic rights. "Fu Manchu" has often been used as stereotype of the inscrutable and vaguely evil Oriental man .