1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

From 8-24 ft, Donatas Motiejunas is the best defender in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Beard

Beard Member

http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerOp...=By Zone&filters=FGAZone1*G*20**FGAZone2*G*20

opponents shooting 15.4% against him from 8-16 ft, 16.4% from 16-24, both best in the league.

This was intended to give a chuckle, too small a sample size obviously but really Dmo is not bad at defending 1 on 1. Where he struggles mightily is protecting the paint or going against big Cs. So maybe some more time next to howard instead of backing him up? Or when Asik or whoever we get for Asik is at backup 5, give him some burn at backup 4 instead of having him waste away on the bench? I have a bad feeling he will be part of an asik package out of here, and it will be a tremendous mistake. The roster is so loaded that we wont miss him short term at all but just as far as his trade value, this guy is so much more than a throw in. 3 weeks ago T Jones was being talked about as a throw in and now look. Give him a shot, let him build some confidence and continuity, and im sure he will more than impress.

2. Beard

Beard Member

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

no he is not.

4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

You mentioned that this is a small sample size but I think an additional point is that McHale doesn't insert him against the other team's starters often. He plays back-up minutes against back-ups. I like his effort on D but am not sold in regards to him being a top-NBA defender anywhere on the court.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's also our best player at scoring in the post. he should be the primary backup to jones and dwight.

6. ironariza

ironariza Member

I think some numbers are not correct in this new stats system

for example harden's pull jumper

7. conquistador#11

i've read enough. most improved player defensively! =)

8. clove

clove Contributing Member

His post moves makes Howard look like Chuck Hayes on offense. Does anyone remember Chuck wagon's free throws? I can not stop laughing at those no matter how many times I see them.

His defense make Novak look like Chuck Hayes.

Ok, I ain't gonna lie, I miss Hayes.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

D-Mo probably is slated as Howard's backup after Asik is traded. His defensive focus on the court is obvious this season. D-Mo currently is a better defender than Smith or Jones, and has ideal height and weight for a NBA center. Seven feet and 265 pounds. Centers take longer to develop than any other position. Three years ago who would have predicted that Hibbert would morph into an on the court defensive monster?

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Three years ago Hibbert was averaging just under 13 and 8 and 2 blocks as a starter. It was certainly a reasonable hypothesis.

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

[Insert "Why does McFail hate Donatas so much?" joke here]

12. Karolik

Karolik Member

Defense is the reason he's not on the floor.

13. CKent

CKent Member

Keith Jones?

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

All joking aside I watched him shutdown Nowitzki. No one else on the team has done that. Which is why I thought it was stupid on McHale's part to not insert DMo when Nowitzki was going off on everyone else. Maybe DMo fails too but based on what he did in the past you have to at least try. McHale is the slowest to get it. He was slow using TJones last year slow to see Asik wasn't working and slow to replace him with TJones and slow to see DMo can help more than he is now. We have a talented enough team that we can win with McHale but we can do better.

15. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

16. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

You are reaching. Big time.

17. roksoer

roksoer Member

Dmo sucks, he can't get a rebound out there and he's bullied around all the time. I don't know how you can say he's a better defender than Jones and Smith.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Somebody needs more sleep.:rolleyes:

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Pretty much. 12.7/7.5/1.7. But per 36 Hibbert 15.5/10.5/2.4 and D-Mo 16.2/7.5/1.4. Sounds like a perfect back up center in the NBA to me.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Coach I disagree. And I watch every Rockets game at least twice.