1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Friedman] Brand New Day (for Morris)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The biggest thing that suprised me was his lateral quickness. Did yall see how well he guarded Austin Rivers and Vasquez? That was really impressive. Dude can actually now back up Harden/Parsons.

2. Dei

Dei Member

His numbers beat Markieff. Marcus was always considered the better player.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I think PPat needs to step up his game or he's
    going to be left behind
    ....Morris just looks & plays
    like he should be starting plus a :grin:face is contagious.

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I just checked his synergy defensive number. Friedman is right - he's now ranked #4 in NBA in points per possession allowed!

Our second best defeder is Lin at #51. Parsons has regressed so far, and Harden is the worst but I don't blame him because he has to carry the load on offense.

5. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

so clutchfans is now on the bandwagon of Morris after most everyone on the board wanting him gone lol..

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

All this Royce White news makes you appreciate Morris much more. When Morris was in the dog house he just put his head down and practiced his tail off instead of say b****in on twitter.

7. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9gThOjXIoOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. torocan

torocan Member

It's called Bipolar Fan Disorder... or as I like to think of it when the posts get silly, BFD.

Unfortunately, human nature is to want everything to happen sooner than later, today vs tomorrow, Now vs eventually, even when history has shown us time and time again that player and team development takes time.

Every single one of the players on the Roster is a Work in Progress.

In baking terms, the Coaches are still mixing the batter, but Fans are expecting a finished loaf of bread....

1 person likes this.
  9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

No need for Parsons to be scared. Parsons does enough things well that he is going to get minutes. Maybe Morris will become the starter some day, but I think Morris may be viewed as being more valuable as our premier scorer coming off the bench. However, Patterson could eventually lose some big minutes, especially if Jones gets worked into the mix.

Last night Coach Sampson said that Morris may be our second best player at being able to create their own shot. He said Morris is more effective on offense when going up against power forwards as opposed to small forwards, so I think the Rockets could be considering using him more at power forward, which may eat up some of Patterson's minutes. I've always thought of Morris of more of a small forward, and I remember someone saying that in training camp he was playing more small forward.

Anyway, I see Parsons and Morris as definitely remaining part of the rotation, while I see Patterson's minutes possibly being reduced, especially since we still have Jones, and D-Mo waiting in the wings. Of course in the long run someone will get traded to break up the logjam in the front court.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'll probably just link this thread as a response to anyone who ever bother to complain about the Rockets not playing rookies.

Hey, what do you know? Looks like professionals are better than armchair GMs. They actually understand that playing time should be EARNED, not freely given. Once Morris realized that if he didn't get his **** together, he can be out of the league in 2 years, he worked harder on his game.

And in the end, his hard work was rewarded. It's why McHale started him over Terrence Jones to start the year. If the team foster a culture of meritocracy, then players will work harder, knowing they'll be left behind if they don't improve.

11. torocan

torocan Member

Morris wasn't in the doghouse. Morris wasn't ready and the coaches knew it.

Now he's ready, and the coaches are happy to play him.

Sometimes the coaches are right when they believe a player isn't quite there yet, though virtually every rookie thinks they should be suiting up against Lebron...

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Fortunately I'm always on his side. Transition from PF to SF naturally takes time. Morris is a good example how we should be patient with our young players, including Harden, Lin, Patterson, Parsons and our rookies.

13. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Confidence is a hell of a drug

14. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

oh yeah, he was in college and hes proving it now, just needed the time and confidence from the coaches.
    That plays a very underrated role in a players development.. if a coach is too controlling of every single mistake then a player tends to start thinking and that screws him up. Just unleash a player and the player he will be will surface

Coaches care more about losing their job than to let a player develop and thats a terrible flaw in sports, maybe the owner should reassure the coach of his job security if its a young or bad team, and itll streamline the players development alot more.. alot of variables would have to align but thats the best way imo

15. onreego

onreego Member

I believe a few "I told you so's" are in order. jk

I'm really glad that its starting to work out for him. All he needed was just some time to acclimate himself. I hope TJones gets a chance to show more of his game soon.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Clutchfans is the posterchild for kneejerk reactions.

Nobody gave this dude a chance, and look at him now.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Funny, ain't it? lol

Winning cures everything.

18. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Im not so sure, there are coaches who simply do not believe in playing young players, that "rite of passage" they must go through mentality and mchale is one those coaches. what rookies truly are ready to ball hard strait out of college with exceptions to the absolute cream of the crop, but it will usually be growing pains with all rooks. The game has changed drastically and Id rather see a rookie play and develop unless hes simply killing the team.

Its really intriguing and entertaining especially when the scenario is that of the current Rockets. Theyre not predicted to do much this year so this is the perfect time to let the rooks go, because hell, they may surprise you. DMo getting sent down sucks, I really wanted to see that guy play right now, it wouldnt be so pretty but Dirk did it and turned out just fine.

Idk, Im just a fan of seeing promising rookies grow before our eyes

It worked well for Morris, so I guess I have no choice but to be patient

19. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

welcome to the microwave day and age

from his college highlights it was clear he could ball. I think Mchale did a poor job of instilling confidence in him, because afterall, wasnt Kevin hired to play the young guys? farce

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

To think everyone was up in arms when Morris started the season (including me).

Just goes to show coaches know best