1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Friedman] A statistical glimpse at the Rockets' dominant preseason performance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tallanvor, Oct 28, 2013.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>By The Numbers: A statistical glimpse into the Rockets' dominant preseason (now complete with caveats galore!): <a href="http://t.co/bt2VTaLfL7">http://t.co/bt2VTaLfL7</a></p>&mdash; Jason Friedman (@JasonCFriedman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonCFriedman/statuses/394887816871563264">October 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

good, but as he yelled out "small sample size".

still exciting tho

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Obviously we all watched the preseason so it shouldn't be a surprise that basically all our lineups worked excellently on both ends. Still, it's nice to see it encapsulated so neatly.

The only two stats that surprised me were:
    1) Zero defensive dropoff when playing small-ball. I shouldn't be shocked by this because McHale already proved able to pull it off with Delfino last year without hurting the defense. I guess I still have a bit of inherent bias to shake against playing four perimeter players.
    2) I would have hoped for more on offense from the Lin-Beverley-together lineups. May come with time.

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

*looks around to make sure that nobody at work is watching me giggle like a little school girl*

Sinister, miniacal laugh to follow shortly. Muhahahahaha!

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

It's still all preseason

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Long story short: good defense is contagious and it spreads even to the little guys. We are going to be a top 5 offensive and defensive team, translating at least into a wcf appearance.

7. dje243

dje243 Member

The funny thing is that with TT and bev opponents converted 3 of 11 at the rim. The main thing to take away there is that opponents probably only attempted to get to the rim 11 times. Only 26 minutes but still pretty awesome.

8. afk

afk Member

Enough with the small samples! I'm ready for the real meal!

9. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Yeah, we got that. He said if a couple of time, with emphasis, in the article.

10. Yellow

Yellow Member

11. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

New meta. Because the point guard role has become so competitive, why not play two at once.

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yeah it's preseason, but these are VERY encouraging numbers going into Weds. I'm so pumped for this season. Let's go Rocks!

13. vizier

vizier Member

translating: many blow out games this season.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Houston has two franchise players in Harden and Howard. Parsons and Asik are top 10. Lin this season will probably be top 15. And they have great role players in Garcia, Casspi and Bev. They have situational players in Smith, Jones and several others. And they have Covington, Young and Canaan in triple A. There are few better rosters in the NBA.

15. JBar

JBar Rookie

So they have five top 15 players? So are you expecting 75 wins?

I'm afraid for you, dear sir. You are slowly losing it. Or when you said top 10 and top 15, did you mean at their position, not overall?

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yes he meant position

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Clearly he meant position. I don't think anyone on CF is THAT much of a homer.

18. JBar

JBar Rookie

You guys must be right.

Still, JTR has made some strange claims--such as that the power forward position for the Rockets would have only four or five shots a game. (All the 4s save Jones have had at least three times that per 48 minutes during the preseason.)

19. JBar

JBar Rookie

Actually he said five or six shots per game.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Donatas had 9-10 in 20 minutes already