1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friday Night Lights (awesome TV series, completely free on NBC)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vwiggin, Nov 5, 2007.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Friday Night Lights is hands down one of the best shows on TV right now, and you can watch the entire series online at NBC.com.

If you have a few hour to kill, I highly recommend checking out those vids. It really captures how sports can bring out the best and worst in people. But you don't have to like football to love this show. It is also a great family drama that actually takes teenagers' POV seriously and portrays parents as actual human beings.

There are quite a few hotties on the show too:

[​IMG]
    Probably 18.

[​IMG]
    Maybe 18.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Quite a stretch there, vwiggin, just to post pics of "hotties" you like on the show... :) no?

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I LOVED the book and LOVED the movie (not as much as the book), so I was pretty excited about the tv show. Besides the amazing looking women and more music by Explosions in the Sky, it's pretty unwatchable to me. Way too many cliches. I would have liked it a lot better if they had just used Odessa Permian instead of this fake school in a fake town. If they couldn't do that, call the show something else.

On a different topic, the real FNL school, Odessa Permian, is currently 9-0 and ranked #3 in the state. Look out Katy and Southlake Carroll, MOJO is coming for you. :)

4. vwiggin

Ha guilty as charged SwoLy-D. :p

The show is kind of hard to explain, and there aren't that many good clips of it on Youtube I could use to illustrate its awesomeness (damn kids keep putting up FNL clips with Arcade Fire music).

I'm really scared that this show will get canceled and die before its time, like Firefly or Freaks and Geeks. :(

ima_drummer2k, I agree there are some well-worn plot devices in that show. But I think the great acting and focus on characterization tends to pull me in despite some major plot rehashes.

5. conquistador#11

i think she is 25. and i agree, very good show! it's shot with the same style as the movie. the only thing i hate is.... that they moved it to fridays.

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I wondered whether I would see any of the actors around town and very recently did twice.

Only guys vwiggin, so no need to kick yourself for not living in Austin (assuming that you don't). ;)

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It was by far the best show on TV last season. Its 2nd season didn't start off as strongly as last year, but it's still a great show and last week's episode was one of the best they've done in a while. Definitely pick up Season 1 if you get a chance. It's only 20 bucks too(plus Universal offers a moneyback guarantee if you hate it).

BTW, Minka Kelly who plays Lyla is either 26 or 27. And the dude who plays Matt is in his mid-20's even though the character is in the same grade as Julie(Aimee Teegarden) who just turned 18. :)

8. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Awesome show, highly recommended. I hope it doesnt get canceled, it looks like it could run a solid 3 seasons though. I just dont think people give it a chance.

9. vwiggin

Thanks for the clarification. Now that I know Garity is 25, I can get the stalk on the next time I drop by Austin.

BTW, the best actor in the show is quite a MILF:

[​IMG]

:D

That's what I thought as well. It is nice to see Matt standing up for himself. "We're BFFs again!" ha ha.

#9 vwiggin, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I stopped watching the first episode after the racist kid said something like "boys, tomorrow night we touch the hand of God" or some other dumb **** like that. I've heard I should give it another chance, but I just can't.

Puhlease, t-shirt fan. :p

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Guilty as charged. But hey, I've been to Midland/Odessa many times and I even got to go to a Permian game at Ratliff stadium a few years ago. I'm telling you, there is nothing like it. It was intoxicating.

There's a reason it was listed at one of the sporting events everyone must see before they die in that SI article a few months ago.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm just screwing with you...always wanted to call someone that. :)

I bet that was awesome. I hope they're back for good, even if they have no shot at stopping Aundre Dean and his ability to break off 99-yd TD runs. :D

#12 Rocketman95, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  13. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I don't think NBC is going to want to cancel any show right now. I think it's safe through the time it goes off the air in January/February and with the potential of no pilot season this year, there's probably an even better chance FNL comes back next season, after the strike.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

in the middle of season 1 on dvd. loving it

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

anyone still watching this?

season 1 was incredible while season 2 fell off pretty hard. 3 has been decent so far, but still nowhere near the standard season 1 set.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Watched it in the fall when the episodes aired on DTV. Honestly, 3 is outstanding, and definitely gets better toward the conclusion. It's a huge step up from 2.

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

When can I start watching NBC for new episodes after watching all the episodes on DTV?

18. thacabbage

Season 1 was incredible - I basically watched it straight through in the span of a few days.

Imagine my disappointment with season 2 - it was like one long chick flick that just happened to be about a football team.

3 has been good so far (though not anywhere near 1). it looks like they are about to mercifully write off jason street with him moving to new york. i thought that plotline was really dragging down the show, so that should help.

they've also had much more football this season than in 3 with the JD mccoy storyline, but still nowhere near 1. really, what was up with season 2 totally going away from football, the bread and butter of the show?

and most importantly, lyla has gotten about a total of 10 minutes of screentime this entire season. are they just phasing that character out? what gives? - i figured she was the cash cow.

all in all - they've really gone away from the themes that made season 1 so great: football, racial tension, violence, and the socioeconomic condition of that town.

i have no idea why you would divert from this formula and shift towards a giant love story.

19. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Only 13 episodes in Season Three.

Hopefully it comes back for Season Four.

20. thacabbage

All of the main characters are seniors. I guess they would have to get to work developing some lowerclassmen.