1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

French Journalists Murdered by Islamic Terrorists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Jan 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. WNBA

WNBA Member

Should be : French Journalists Murdered by Islamic "Terrorists".

2. Nook

Nook Member

Recently history says otherwise.

Family Guy and South Park off the top of my head have made fun of Jesus. Monty Python had an entire movie making fun of Jesus. There are countless others.

People like to be objective and say "Well if X happened to Y", but in this case.... there have been many shows, movies, cartoons etc that have made fun of Jesus, the Pope, Mother Teressa and others... while there were some protests (limited), the response was nothing like what has happened when Mohammad is depicted.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What is this? Did anywhere in my posts I explicitly or implicitly state that Islam is the only contributing factor to human violence? Nice straw man. No, literal interpretation of the Quran is ONE of the contributing factors to terrorism. As someone who was raised Muslim, who attended jummah prayers every Friday for most of my life, who recited the Quran multiple times a week, I can personally tell you there is no need to "twist" words or take surahs and hadith "out of context". Muhammad intended that his followers would impose their faith onto the world by any means necessary. And in his actual historical life, it is well documented how horrible this guy took criticism. His followers are just following his example.

#63 fchowd0311, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Because Christians are tolerant of these things. . .. . they feel EVERYONE SHOULD BE TOLERANT OF IT
    That simply is not the case

Just because you wife calls you <INSERT TERM OF ENDEARMENT>. .. does not give everyone else license too.
    Just because it is ok for your boys to joke with you . . . . doesn't mean everyone else has to enjoy those same types of jokes.

That is why the. . . "WELL I DON'T MIND THOSE TYPE OF JOKES SO THEY SHOULDN'T EITHER" and the THEY LET ME JOKE ABOUT THEM AND THEIRS, SO EVERYONE SHOULD ALLOW ME JOKE ABOUT THEM type of arguments fall short

Rocket River

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Christians don't like those jokes, they just don't kill people over them.

Nobody is saying that Muslims have to LIKE the cartoons. Civilized people accept that they can't kill people just because they don't like them.

6. fchowd0311

Many Muslims and to be honest many Christian evangelicals in the U.S. do not understand that no one has a natural right to not be offended.

7. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Being a Muslim and currently in Paris I can tell you there is definitely some friction here right now. As a Muslim I honestly condemn these attacks and anything like that because it's just not Islamic not is it moral. I know people think our religion is violent but constantly it's taught that if you kill someone, it is if you have killed all humanity. As muslims I know we are sensitive about our prophet but ppl can always represent you in a bad way, so it's something ppl need to learn to manage. I also hate when these muslims are considered extremists because there is nothing extreme about them, more like uneducated savage idiots with a tainted view of their own religion due to personal gain or mental illness because when I think of being extreme as a Muslim I think of ramadan, praying nore than 5 times a day, donating more than usual, being nice to neighbors and feeding ppl and just being nicer all while being hungry. That is extreme islam, what these terrorists are doing is not extreme but misguided and tainted.

I also go to so many mosques all over town and in different states and countries and they all preach harmony peace and good character so when I tell you this is isolated and not seen a j every mosque I'm honest because never once have I harard anything shady being said. Now being in Paris I have seen a rally and protest get kind of ugly here outside my hotel but for the most part ppl are handling it pretty classy. I was actually at the louvre when it happened and afterwards spoke to some military guys on directions as I was kind of lost and not once did I feel treated differently. Even outside the presidential house as the president was arriving I spoke to military personnel and was treated completely normal. I understand ppl want muslims to stand up against idiots and terrorism and I want you to know we do at our mosques, at work, at public rallies like the one just recently on westheimer for the children killed by Taliban a few weeks ago. We do stand up against them, sometimes it's not as visual as you want because we never get great press or when we do its run by idiots with political agendas or poor planning or skewed views.

I just wanted to throw a few points out to let you know that just because these atrocities hit non Muslims they also target true, real and nice muslims who are out there just trying to be a good neighbor and live in peace. I know ppl back in Pakistan that being Muslim are attacked by these scum and wanted to let you know we back anyone willing to stop these idiots, I just ask that you don't say they are extremists, they are simply scum terrorists.

2 people like this.
  8. fchowd0311

Mo was a bit bi-polar.

Ask your Imam if he agrees that:
    1) blasphemy is a punishable offence
    2) homosexual actions are a punishable offence
    3) women's inheritance should be half of men's by rule (Quran 4:11-12, 4:176)
    4) women must have the approval of a male guardian prior to getting married
    5) apostasy is a punishable offence
    6) women's testimony is worth half of a man's in some cases
    7) slavery is allowed in some specific cases, and men can have sex with their slaves (Quran 4:24, 33:50, 23:5-6)
    8) women who deny sex to their husbands (or their slave masters) without valid reason (eg illness) are sinning and can be considered "disobedient" wives
    9) men have the right to discipline and beat women (however "lightly") for disobedience (Quran 4:34)
    10) a nikah can not be witnessed by only females - a male must be present

If the answer is yes to any of these, Islam or at least his perception of Islam is not compatible with western secularism.

I believe you are being honestly sincere. You believe that Islam is peaceful, and by all means continue what you are doing. I am not here to change your belief system, but understand there is some merit to the criticism of Islam and Muhammad himself.

#68 fchowd0311, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    2 people like this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When the intolerance turns to violence there is a problem. I don't care who it is.

10. Nook

Nook Member

You can use that logic to rationalize anything action.

If they move to a country with different values and different laws, they need to follow the laws of where they move or face the ire of the people where they live.

11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

faraza84 / fchowd0311: I appreciate the grown-up posts. Sincerity and candor are always refreshing here.

Rocket River: There is no such thing as a right to not be offended. And you sure as hell don't have a right (by law or any moral yardstick) to kill someone because they tell offensive jokes that upset you.

And besides, any writer that doesn't manage to offend anyone, ever, is probably not trying very hard to say anything.

1 person likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, many evangelical Christians are guilty of thinking they being offended some how matters...

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What you are saying is .. . just to clarify

THE RIGHT TO BE AN *SSHOLE AND TO OFFEND
    IS GREATER THAN
    THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED

Rocket River

14. fchowd0311

Yes, because in many cases those who are offended DESERVE to be offended. If I am an ******* and offensive towards a totalitarian dictator I'm sure everyone here would support me.

15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

No doubt. Rocket River sound ridiculous and foolish.

16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

What you are saying is.. . just to clarify

THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED
    IS GREATER THAN
    THE RIGHT TO NOT BE MURDERED

1 person likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Rocket River is such a moron...sometimes, I find it interesting to read his posts, but sometimes I wonder if his mom dropped him on the head a few too many times.

18. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

according to RR, Chris Rock should be a mute.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Rocket River is right.... Those people deserved to be murdered...:rolleyes:

Just because
    I write
    Like this, I am
    always right?

People (mostly Muslims across the world) need to step up and stop this.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Please QUOTE where I said people deserve to be murdered . . .. .

Right to Life >> Right to not be Offended > Right to be an *sshole

Rocket River
    "I was born under water with 3 dollars and 6 dimes
    Yeah you might laugh 'cause you did not do your math"
    - Erykah Badu "On and On"