1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Free Money] Equifax Data Breach Settlement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems like they should have a collective benefit for the people, like a new great White aquarium or something we can actually enjoy and they pay for.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Stop telling people. The more people that sign up, the less money everyone gets!.....

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's free, my company pays for it.

5. ima_drummer2k

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

$375. You can claim 10 hours at $25/hour with no paperwork.

Invisible Fan and Sooty like this.
  7. ima_drummer2k

Right.

The website is telling whether or not your info was part of the breach. That doesn't automatically mean you were affected. Two different things.

My info was part of the breach, but I wasn't affected (yet). But my credit is actually frozen, since I don't borrow money.

desihooper likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@ima_drummer2k started this thread to have $125 sent to account for each new member sign up.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You aren't getting 125. Only 31 mil is set aside for cash payout. So if we do the math to get 125 only 248000 would need to claim it. If 10mil claimed you would get 3 bucks. If 100mil then .30.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

If Equifax ends up giving the legitimate amount, on a first approved sort of basis, I am thinking that you would in fact be better off filling out the additional hours spent, so that's what I did. They could either go for the larger number of people resolved for PR and the lower amount, or actually try to resolve those most affected. And I am banking on the latter because there is no PR number at this point to help them and meeting the legal requirements is probably more important. No idea what they would try to do. Just trying to think about what there response is going to be. The dollar amount is large enough to have impact, instead of the 50 cents we usually get, so the settlement has some teeth, but how that gets enforced or applied is beyond me.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Whelp, time to sue.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/equifax-data-breach-settlement

5. I thought I could choose $125 instead of free credit monitoring. What happened?
    The public response to the settlement has been overwhelming. Millions of people have visited this site in just the first week. Because the total amount available for these alternative payments is $31 million, each person who takes the money option is going to get a very small amount. Nowhere near the $125 they could have gotten if there hadn’t been such an enormous number of claims filed.

The free credit monitoring provides a much better value, and everyone whose information was exposed can take advantage of it. If your information was exposed in the data breach, and you file a valid claim before the deadline, you are guaranteed at least four years of free monitoring at all three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and $1,000,000 of identity theft insurance, among other benefits. The market value of this product is hundreds of dollars per year.

You can still choose the cash option on the claim form, but you will be disappointed with the amount you receive and you won’t get the free credit monitoring.​

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I was worried about this when I saw the amounts they were going to pay out... Nowhere near the amount impacted. So.... For the people that got in early do they still get $125 or are they screwed to a few dollars too (or less)? I love how they gave the option for the 10 hours. This is like most class action suits... Garbage

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Why would I need free monitoring at all three credit bureaus if my credit is frozen and it is now free to freeze/unfreeze my credit any time I want based on my needs (aside from the minor inconvenience of doing this online when necessary)? Is that the extent of the monitoring? I thought it was more than that...like scanning the dark web for your info, etc. ? If my credit is frozen, then what good is monitoring it since you can't do anything with my credit at the bureaus anyway? Seems like a scam for people who don't want to freeze their credit and just trust the monitoring service if something goes awry?

I WANT MY 2 DOLLARS (**cough** $125 plus the money I spent to freeze my credit at the bureaus when it wasn't free) !!! F-NG b*stard SONS OF B_TCHES!!!

[​IMG]

#33 Surfguy, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    ima_drummer2k and Xerobull like this.
  14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Equifax chief security official during the time of the problem was a woman, and a music major at that:

"When Congress hauls in Equifax CEO Richard Smith to grill him, it can start by asking why he put someone with degrees in music in charge of the company’s data security.

And then they might also ask him if anyone at the company has been involved in efforts to cover up Susan Mauldin’s lack of educational qualifications since the data breach became public.

It would be fascinating to hear Smith try to explain both of those extraordinary items."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/e...he-companys-chief-security-officer-2017-09-15

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  15. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, my credit is frozen (since I don't borrow money) and my company provides credit monitoring and ID theft insurance for pennies a day. So if I only get $1, it's still a net gain for me. Of course I'd like to get $125 but it's not like I'm depending on it to make my bills or anything.

Ah, see THERE'S the problem. Only a complete idiot would major in music.

Wait a minute.........