1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Nov 16, 2012.

1. harrypotter

harrypotter Member

Seems to me they just dont want Lin to succeed because he is Asian?

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Asik is considered a scrub offensively so what are you complaining about? He's been tremendous so far for what he's expected to do.

Harden is playing by himself on the perimeter and gets doubled team quite often. This is his first year as a #1 option, turnovers are expected.

But bricking wide open shots (airballing), that's on Lin.

Or Lin should glue himself to the gym and shoot 1000 shots a day. When he starts shooting better, he'll look better.

3. novaman

novaman Member

Or perhaps they don't believe he can succeed because he's Asian

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

Of 102 players who attempted 90+ jumpers off the dribble last season, only Steph Curry & Steve Nash shot better than Jeremy Lin (47.9 pct). Lin was successful last year because his teammates set mean picks & screens for him. This isn't happening this year at all. Lin has to beg ****ing Patterson to set a screen & when he does get it, it is usually a ****ty one. Whereas all the bigs instinctively set one for Harden. Lin may not be scoring well but it isn't because of a lack of skill.

5. harrypotter

harrypotter Member

Wow way to go man. I guess this reinforces my thought that Lin should leave this horrible team

6. zdrav

zdrav Member

LOL. Lin didn't even play in OT, hence the outrage on this board.

7. t_mac1

Lin v. Douglas. 2 bad shooters? Flip a coin. I don't like talking about 2 bad players. No point.

Harden is a #1 option in his first year. He's shooting 44% overall facing stiff defenses. McGrady only shot above that ONCE in his Rocket career I believe. If he had another perimeter player to take pressure off of him, maybe he'll shoot even better.

8. rokit

rokit Member

yet we expected lin to be a SG? camping behind the 3pt line all the time...that's why rockets singed him,right?

9. harrypotter

harrypotter Member

Problem is coaching staff is lacking support for Lin. If they dont have the cobfidence in him shots wont fall

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

Don't change the point. Your initial statement was that Lin was shooting poorly therefore he doesn't deserve shots. Then by that token Douglas who is shooting even more poorly shouldn't even be permitted to own a basketball.

11. t_mac1

Both bad shooters. Both should be banned from touching the ball. Coach picked who played better D.

12. MKL

MKL Member

T-mac is in China, give him a break. He thinks Lin the POINTGUARD is here to shoot the ball. Not to run an offense and pass the ball.

But, T-mac need to take care of T-mac first. His eyetest say that Lin sucks.

13. Allegro

Allegro Member

Harden has been shooting only slightly better, 37%, since iso-Beard-ball started. Are you saying that he should not be touching the ball either?

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

He picked the player who could play better D you say? Then he should be fired for incompetency. If these stats are available to the public then there is no way he didn't know.

Current Defensive Statistics from Synergy Sports, including the Portland game…

Points Per Possession Allowed

Jeremy Lin – 0.71 (50th in the NBA of ALL positions)
    Toney Douglas – 0.87 (151st in the NBA of ALL positions)

Opponent FG%

Jeremy Lin – 34.4%
    Toney Douglas – 42.5%

Opponent 3pt%

Jeremy Lin – 33.3%
    Toney Douglas – 37.5%

Overall Opponent %Score

Jeremy Lin – 32.5%
    Toney Douglas – 38.2%

15. t_mac1

What is he shooting overall? He's scoring 27 points on 19 shots. Do you know how good that is? Jesus. That's what you want out of your #1 option.

Lin is shooting 35% for the SEASON. And no signs of improvement. He's scoring 10.9 points on 10.3 shots.

Lin has only had ONE game where he shot above 38%. ONE GAME. Repeat that with me. ONE GAME. No, let's repeat that one more time. ONE GAME.

16. MKL

MKL Member

But Lin airball!

17. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Seems to me you forget how dysfunctional the Rockets offense is without Lin.

18. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Lin frees up space, but it's like no one really sets picks well. Including asik. Once they have more time to keep improving together to run decent PnR, it will open up Harden more. Harden is a beast, but once they get Lin some decent PnR sets it should be as deadly as people were saying earlier. I think...or HOPE the coaches are simply working on that for Lin with the rest of the team.

19. Allegro

Allegro Member

Can you read? I was saying that Harden has been shooting 37% for the last <b>seven games</b>, since his ISOs have been dominating the offense. That is dreadful. Are you saying that Harden should not be touching the ball?

20. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

When I read posts like these I wonder if people deliberately go out of their way to ignore context and reality so they can continue to live in the comforting bubble of their self-fellating imagination.

Out of 8 games this season, Lin has played as a PG in 3 games. In all 3 of those games he's done a fantastic job of running the offense. This is apparent not just from the eye test but also from his stat lines.

After Asik, he has easily been the rocket's best defender. This is borne out by the eye test (blocks on Lebron etc. key defensive stops of Lebron, Wade, drawing a charge from LMA etc) as well as his basic stats - rebounds, blocks, steals, as well as his advanced stats - Points allowed per possession (near 50th among ALL NBA players.)

In addition to this Lin has had virtually zero plays run for him or screens set for him (until the last game and even then it was just about there).

He has been playing as a spot up 3- point shooting guard. So of course his shooting percentage is going to be down since he's playing in a role that's the antithesis of where his strengths lie. Despite this, he is shooting higher than Harden on 3 point % this season, which is shocking really. Not that it matters since I don't really want Lin taking most of the shots, I'm happy for him to take 10-15 and for Harden to take the majority.

Lin's shot is certainly not falling right now. However, I'd wager if you give him a few games of total PG freedom, that will pick up as well.

However, there's more than enough evidence to show that Lin, when allowed to makes a significant positive contribution to this team, on both ends of the floor.

You must be a smarter guy than this. To take ONE stat, ignore the context and everything else, and ignore every other stat, just so you can hate on the new kid on your team. What gives?