1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Greg Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Feb 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Greg is smart? Our Harvard guy.;)

2. Margrave

Margrave Member

He looked good, but he also looked short, how tall is he really?

It seemed that Scola was a couple of inches taller, but might have been the camera angle.

3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

He's listed at 6'10", which isn't too bad... but he got 3 rebs and FOUR blocks in 11 mins. So very early signs indicate that height is not a problem. At all.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

He's only 20 so he is still growing. Hopefully he will grow a couple more inches like Paul George.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wish we could give this kid 6 fouls every night so he can learn and get playing time. He actually looks like he might have some potential.

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

You're probably not going to see another Lin story for another 30 years... I would be thrilled if we got a Cuttino Mobley or Chandler Parsons.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's 6'8.5" without shoes, but his 7'3" wingspan (mostly 'cause he has huge hands) gives him a decent standing reach for a center. Just under 9'. On the plus side he has excellent athletic ability given his weight. He jumps significantly higher than Chandler Parsons, for instance. His max vert is actually close to Budinger than it is to Parsons... That should tell you something about his jumping ability.

8. inishi

inishi Member

He's shorter than preferable, but it really doesn't matter if he plays as tall as he seems to consistently. I have no clue about his offensive capabilities but he was effective on d and on the boards. All that I care about.

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

i think he can grow to be 6 11

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Landry was not a tweener and he is taller than all those guys.
    He was 6-8"-6-9" in shoes.
    He was drafted, when the Rockets had Mutombo and Yao and not during 6'6 Hayes at C experiment.

#50 BetterThanEver, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

He is skinner than a guy like Chuckwagon or Dorsey though.

12. BetterThanEver

He measured 6'10" with shoes at draft. For comparison, Dwight Howard, 2012 Eastern Conference All-star C, was measured at 6'10.25" and grew an inch to 6'11"

13. tofu--

tofu-- Member

He looks pretty good, I was impressed. But someone needs to teach him to use his left hand to block too, it really helps.

14. BetterThanEver

Greg Smith and DeAndre Jordan are skinnier than Dorsey and Chuck too. So is Tyson Chandler, Noah, and many other guys. Dorsey is built more like Ray Lewis than a NBA center. He still gives up 3-6" at C. He doesn't have the skill to play PF.

#54 BetterThanEver, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

16. zoids

zoids Member

He looks clean for now... once he starts getting tattoos is when we should trade him away... I don't remember any star player who came in the league clean not getting worse after getting tattoos. :grin:

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Random question: Last night at the game, Greg Smith and Enes Kanter had a bro-hug when they first were on the floor together. Do they have any history together? Is it just the connection of guys that wear #0? It just seemed odd.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Who knows.

Probably just a same draft class thing. Maybe met at combines, workouts, etc.

19. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Smith’s return to the Rockets was not unexpected.

“When I got cut, we talked about me re-signing,” Smith said. “They wanted to see me play in the D-League. When I played in the D-League, I showed what I could do. I showed I’m a player who could be with their franchise for a couple of years.

“They noticed the skills I had. They got to see me play actual basketball and play at this level. That’s why I always felt Houston was the team for me. When other teams said they were looking at me, I told my agent, ‘OK, let’s look at the Rockets.’

“A lot of teams were calling, but I wasn’t paying attention. I let them talk to my agent because I love this franchise. I love coach McHale. When they signed (Samuel) Dalembert, I didn’t take it as I couldn’t play for them. I took it as they signed a good player.”

20. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/02/dalembert-sits-as-punishment-for-missing-shootaround/

Seems like a Loyal guy. Bigs really seem to dig the McHale hiring too.

What are the details on his contract?