1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Community College?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Haymitch, Jan 9, 2015.

?

Thoughts on free community college?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2016.
  1. Support this plan

39 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Support a different plan for free community college

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Do no support any plan for free community college

17 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. bongman

bongman Member

So how will the contract be written? We will pay for all your education as long as you promise that when you graduate, you will be working for my company for 20 yrs?

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ehhh

They need to limit it to certain fields.

Accounting, engineering, math, healthcare, education, architecture, welding, etc.= yes

Philosophy, religion, communication, women's studies = no

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No standardization based on nationally and globally accredited education means discrimination, nepotism and cheap outsourcing. You may also be overestimating the extent to which operations managers and strategic planners care are inclined to deal with children, particularly those other than their own, on top of adopting development overhead with 5-or-10 years lead time.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

"Obama’s plan to offer Americans two years of college for free has come under fire from congressional Republicans, who are calling it a blatant plot to make Americans smarter."

-The Borowitz Report

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Sorry, but if you have a 2.5 GPA at a CC you are a dumbass.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Yer not sorry, you're just a dick.

7. Bandwagoner

I am sorry we have so many r****ds.

8. Bandwagoner

More to the point, if the government is paying the tuition of someone with a GPA under 3.0 at a CC they are supporting someone who doesn't care or isn't smart enough to make higher education work for them. 2.5 is such a low number it includes a huge waste factor.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This sounds like modern day indentured servitude.
    There obviously needs to be a regulating body to prevent blatant exploitation.

10. RedRedemption

I agree with you, but I think this would be less of a motivation to study/work harder and more of motivation to just pick the easiest major, take a ton of blow off classes.

11. Bandwagoner

There are no weed out courses in CC. There are no national standard courses that grad schools look specifically at to get a sense of that students performance.

You realize we are talking about community college right? I know some discussion in this thread is about paying for university level education as well.

12. bongman

bongman Member

Exactly my point. The idea of having companies pay for education is a complicated proposition requiring new laws, regulating bodies, etc. Instead of spending money to make sure nobody is abusingit, just use it to provide free education.

13. RedRedemption

Yeah, have never taken a class at CC, so don't really know how it compares to UT classes.
    I'd much rather prefer they subsidize four-year colleges more, but as long as they aren't diverting funding from four-year unis to two-year CCs then I'm not really complaining much.

14. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I think Obama is just grandstanding. This is just a political maneuver to try and make the Republicans look mean and bad.

There is no way this proposal becomes a reality anytime soon. And Obama knows that.

15. bongman

bongman Member

Name ONE bama proposal that the republicans liked. Yeah, they are not mean and bad.:rolleyes:

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

HA! Nice try! Apples and Oranges.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Who cares about real world examples? The libertarian conservatives have their theology of supply side and simple econ 101.

They so remind me of the old Scientific Marxist Leninists still trying to justify Soviet economics. "It would have worked, but.... but..."

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Republicans don't mind giving money to rich businesses and you don't seem to mind paying for that...so why is there a problem to educate people who might otherwise someday rob you on the street? Just curious.

19. Remii

Remii Member

Off subject but grooming high school athletes made me remember this article...

The United States routinely spends more tax dollars per high-school athlete than per high-school math student—unlike most countries worldwide. And we wonder why we lag in international education rankings?

--------

Football at Premont cost about $1,300 a player. Math, by contrast, cost just $618 a student. For the price of one football season, the district could have hired a full-time elementary-school music teacher for an entire year. But, despite the fact that Premont’s football team had won just one game the previous season and hadn’t been to the playoffs in roughly a decade, this option never occurred to anyone.

“I’ve been in hundreds of classrooms,” says Singleton, who has spent 15 years as a principal and helped turn around other struggling schools. “This was the worst I’ve seen in my career. The kids were in control. The language was filthy. The teachers were not prepared.” By suspending sports, Singleton realized, he could save $150,000 in one year. A third of this amount was being paid to teachers as coaching stipends, on top of the smaller costs: $27,000 for athletic supplies, $15,000 for insurance, $13,000 for referees, $12,000 for bus drivers. “There are so many things people don’t think about when they think of sports,” Singleton told me. Still, he steeled himself for the town’s reaction. “I knew the minute I announced it, it was going to be like the world had caved in on us.”

http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/the-case-against-high-school-sports/309447/

College and the pros are the entities that benefit from high school athletics... And from the looks of it if athletics weren't apart of the educational system _ schools would have a lot more money to actually spend on things like EDUCATION... But tax payers are content with flipping the bill for the college and pro teams (even the parents who have kids who don't play sports). But that's what we prioritize and value for our children in this country.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is a fair point considering decent universities would look for 3.3 or above GPAs as a minimum for transferring, and probably higher if more people take advantage of the free tuition.

Then again, what exactly is wasted here? Incentivizing people to spend time on higher education might just be a purpose in and of itself. I get **** grades in beginners astrophysics, but I learn a background and understanding in a cross discipline. Getting a C means there's at least a generalized understanding of the course, which means the value to the student isn't all or nothing, provided education and understanding is the primary goal.

And just because it doesn't solve the problem of stupid or unmotivated people doesn't mean the idea shouldn't be pursued. I consider community college dirt cheap, but those 3k in yearly savings would likely matter more to someone working double min wage shifts and taking a partial year course load as they save up for 2/3 years worth of university/college tuition.