1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Community College?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Haymitch, Jan 9, 2015.

?

Thoughts on free community college?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2016.
  1. Support this plan

39 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Support a different plan for free community college

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Do no support any plan for free community college

17 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Maybe it's not as bad as I remember. I forgot what courses I took at HCC that's how memorable they were.

2. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I actually think a lot of the population would be better served by going to CC rather than a 4 year university (won't even dignify the Devry's of the world with a response).

We actually hired 2 bookkeepers for our business from community college. Like any place, the community colleges have plenty of folks you'd never hire but there are a lot of folks there for very valid reasons. In our case, we didn't need someone with a CPA or full on accounting degree. However, someone that understood the basics of accounting and could hit the ground running was very useful.

One of the hires was a young person and the other was a person looking for a late career change. I'd say in both cases the community college system served them quite well.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Community College is where people learn to be mechanics, HVAC techs, healthcare support staff, criminal justice/cops etc. It allows a person who might be stuck in a minimum wage life to start to earn more than minimum wage in jobs that have advancement. They may go from dependents on public assistance to taxpayers, and they can buy the things that corporations make money on.

http://www.hccs.edu/finder/index.php?search=program

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

They should just increase the high school curriculum. Too many dummies come out of high school.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Excellent point.

6. AXG

AXG Member

I'm not familiar with other grad schools. but almost every law school in the country is having record low class sizes. It also depends on the the type of law you want to specialize in. There is obviously much higher demand in certain areas, but few attorneys are available or want to go into that field.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If so, that's a relief, because that crap was seriously out of control 5-6 years ago. The for-profit third-tier-toilets are probably still accepting record numbers of suckers though.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Why is there record lows now?

The market was/is saturated.

We don't need more lawyers, we need people that actually "do things".

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

As an older guy I can't see any downside. The usual suspects fear progress like this because the more educated the population becomes the less likely they will fall for the bull**** the GOP feeds them.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think it's more about viewing higher education as a means to galvanizing a certain class hierarchy and economic apportionment historically enforced and allocated by other social criteria, which themselves are sometimes considered proxies for comparative intelligence, maturity and productivity. So they focus on what types of people "deserve" it rather than how a globally-engaged, industrialized, continental and hemispherical power would benefit from maximizing its number of technical and analytical professionals.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Actually, a loving and caring family is the greatest benefit to society.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not trying to be rude or anything but
    Is the need for lawyers at an all time high?

I am all for helping out with HIGH NEED Skills

Rocket River

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Interestingly enough, educated and healthy people also tend to make the most loving and caring families.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Houston Community College Doesn't . .. . well not in certain fields

Rocket River

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Daniel Boone would say being able to go to the store for food rather than hunting, fishing and farming .. . is the ultimate nanny stating

Progress, man . . progress . . .. gotta move with it.

Rocket River

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Obama may go down as the most accomplished President since Lincoln.

DD

17. Summer Song Giver

You know what else enables someone to escape the hamster wheel of minimum wage life? Work experience, like you get your ass out and get a job, prove you wroth to the company and advance because your newly acquired skill and intelligence about what the company does... you know how much this costs taxpayers? Nothing.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Was responding to DonnyMost's post that all education should be free. That's why I quoted him.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Maybe my not so amazing experience is making me biased.

Maybe I'll try going back to community college to work on my French and Spanish and see how it is.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

all you people that turn their noses up at the idea of Community Colleges are idiots. You're probably the same morons on this board that believe you HAVE to go to a very good Well-known expensive University in order to make a good living.

Community Colleges are VERY powerful tools for those who cannot afford 4 year schools. With the right program, you can easily get more bang for your buck and make a good living.

Also, for private tech schools also have their place. They're great for people who aren't cut out for going to a 4yr college, but still need training for a decent job.

The biggest load of bull that we keep telling people in this country is that you HAVE to go to college in order to make a decent living. There are plenty of decent paying jobs that require a vocational skill, but not an education. As a matter of fact, these are the hardest to fill because we many people falsely believe that college is the only way out of the lower class.

Everyone needs a skill, not an education - that can be aquired in college, community college, vocational/tech schools, or apprenticeships. But its the skill thats important, not where you learned that skill.

1 person likes this.