1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agents available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090219

Interesting list, do you think the the Rockets could and should get on this ?

I believe they could and should go after Sam Cassell. I have a feeling he will not want to come here, main reason being how we gave up on him after 95-96 but also because we're not a contender. Hopefully though he bleeds Rockets red and wants to end where it all started.
    And not just for the sake of bringing a veteran back but it would make perfect sense with our lack of depth at PG and losing our starting PG. Who better to mentor these youngsters than Sam I Am ?

Please make it happen Morey, it would be perfect !!! :D

2. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

no I rather see them get a 7 ft shot blocker thats a bit younger than Deke.

3. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Sam I Am ... come back to H-town!

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I really don't think this is too farfetched of an idea...

This past all-star weekend I was downtown on Friday when I see Sammy stroll by with some hot chick. I'm thinking to myself is that him???

Well My observation is, why would Sam, out of all places, come back to Houston for all-star weekend? I mean he coulda went to the Bahamas, Hawaii, Venice, etc. but he chose to chill in the Big H.

I don't think he despises Houston for trading him, this is a business and that was a business move. We'll see what happens though I doubt we will pick up another 40+ old body to sit on the bench and cheer.

What other FAs are unsigned at this time, besides Steve? :rolleyes
    Just curious...

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He lives here.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Thats what I was thinking. So he must not have a problem with coming back then. If the rockets did want him.

7. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Then hire him as a coach and not as a player. Why do we want old, washed up guys who couldn't play *anywhere* else in the league on our bench?

8. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Especially since we just got rid of Steve!

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

1)we have no room. who are you going to drop and still have to pay? Luther? Cook? Deke (lol)?
    2) If Cassel didn't play a minute this season, what makes you think he's even in good shape to play?
    3) Bring in an OLD point guard for what? leadership? Cassel knows nothing about our team and tends to talk a lot so I doubt it.

10. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

Aside from nostalgia Sam brings nothing to the table... he is a shell of his former self

11. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Ummm we have 15 players on the team already. We can not sign anyone. Why would we waive someone just to pick up another Mutombo. Sam would have just been another Deke with rooting the team on.

As for signing players where it all began. I think they learned there lesson with Steve Francis. No need to sign another broken down player that would just take up space.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The only one we could drop is Head and I think Adelman likes him and wants to keep him for possible PG use if major injuries come.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Another Sam Cassell thread.....yawn.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Our depth at each position:

1: Brooks, Lowry, Barry, Head
    2: Artest, Wafer, Barry, Head, Lowry (?)
    3: Battier, Artest, Wafer, Barry, Cook, Landry (?)
    4: Scola, Landry, Hayes, Cook
    5: Yao, Scola, Hayes, Mutombo

A veteran guard or defensive big would be a nice addition.

15. Tornadoofsoul6

OKC just waived Sene, could be a decent pickup.

16. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

I can see Bobby J reuniting with his coach.

17. FlexKavana2009

Joe Smith is the best available. Can still knock down that 15-20 foot shot regularly and can rebound very well

18. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Bibby is a free agent...we just cleared a starting spot and all....just saying...

19. AXG

AXG Member

I wouldn't mind if the Rockets signed Jackson again. He played well in the last game vs Sacramento. He's a veteran point guard. The only problem is who to cut to sign him?

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thas how the Rox should think. Get a big raw talent and try to develop cheaply. Not a smal raw dude like Dorsey.