1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agent target: Troy Brown Jr

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Jun 19, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've been making a few posts about small, low-cost bench pickups we could grab that would make the team deeper and better. We know from numerous reports that the Rockets are looking to bring in something like three free agents, which probably means 1-2 higher cost guys and 1-2 lower cost guys. Guys like Harden, Brook Lopez or Fred VanVleet are obvious options, but I've been enjoying digging for some "hidden gems" that nobody is talking about.

Previously, I discussed trading for Daniel Gafford from the Wizards or Mike Muscala from the Celtics to play backup center behind Sengun. Now, I want to call your attention to Troy Brown Jr., the 6'6", 23-year-old small forward from the Lakers. Here are his per 36 minutes and per 100 possessions stats:

[​IMG]
    Brown was quietly an important roleplayer for the Lakers this season, and his defense is statistically pretty good (in the top 20% in the league according to advanced stats). I haven't paid close attention to him on the court, but the few times I've noticed him he's been hustling and doing a good job of staying in front of his man. Googling what Lakers fans think of him, they seem to really like him and respect his defense and hustle, with some of their fans preferring his contributions to Rui Hachimura's.

This season, Brown hit on 38% of his three pointers while taking about four 3P shots per game. He's your quintessential undernoticed, underrated three-and-D hustle guy, the type of guy Miami loaded up on and used to make it to the NBA Finals.

While he wouldn't make a massive impact on our team, he brings the kind of attitude we need more of, along with solid defense and pretty good outside shooting. If we finally wave goodbye to KJ Martin this offseason, Brown would be a great low-cost grab to play behind Tari off the bench.

Rochut likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Let’s get in on the Beal trade and take back Gafford.

OremLK and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. maj21

maj21 Member

Please no more small guys. We need length!!!!!

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Brown is 6'6" with a 6'11" wingspan. He's not oversized but he's not undersized either.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Brown played really well in spot starts last year, won quite a bit of daily fantasy using him

6. maj21

maj21 Member

We have too many guys that are 6’3”-6’6” and I’m tired of it lol. JG, KPJ, Tate, KJ, TyTy, JC, even Nix Lmaooo

OremLK likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, at least he is at the very top of that range (actually close to 6'7" in shoes apparently, just looked up his combine measurements) and unlike all of those guys he is a solid defensive player with good fundamentals.