1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agent Mourning says he'll test market

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0430/1547533.html

MIAMI -- Alonzo Mourning, who was forced to miss the 2002-03 NBA season with a kidney ailment, said doctors have given him clearance to resume playing next season.

Mourning did not say whether he definitely planned to return, but told Sporting News Radio on Tuesday that doctors have given him "the thumbs-up to possibly go out there and play the game again.''

"Up until September, they'll continue to monitor my body chemistry to see if I will be able at that time to play,'' Mourning said. "But right now, they're giving me the thumbs-up to play.''

Mourning, 33, was diagnosed in October 2000 with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a kidney disease that can eventually require a transplant. He played in just the final 13 games in the 2000-01 season, but appeared in 75 games the following season and made the All-Star team for the seventh time.

But shortly before training camp, Mourning was advised by doctors to skip the 2002-03 season because test results indicated his disease was worsening. He did not discuss specifics of his current medical state during Tuesday's interview.

"I'm doing well, considering the time and the ability that I have had to get a better grasp on this whole physical situation,'' Mourning said. "It's enabled me to put myself in a position where I could possibly explore (playing) the game again.''

Mourning made $20.6 million last season, the last of a seven-year, $105 million contract with the Heat. Mourning, who has had several discussions with Heat coach Pat Riley in recent weeks, said he will now test the free-agent market.

"I understand this is a business. I'm not taking anything personally,'' Mourning said. "But Pat Riley has to make business decisions. ... And I, too, have to make the best decision for myself and my family. What I addressed to Pat is that I'm going to explore the market. The market is out there and I'd be foolish to not explore what is out there.''

He did, however, say his preference would be to return to the Heat, with whom he has averaged 19.8 points per game in his seven seasons.

"My heart is in Miami. I want to be there,'' Mourning said. "I'm a pillar in that community and the basketball organization. When people think of Miami, they think of me and the impact I've had on that organization.''

Riley said earlier this month that Mourning could return to the club, but at a reduced salary.

"A lot is going to be predicated on his health, his endurance,'' Riley said.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Say it ain't so 'Zo.

Please just retire, ye mighty warrior.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Zo, the phone is ringing, it is the Dallas Mavs calling. See you in October.

4. Just B

Just B Member

I gotta agree with you. I just want Mourning to retire and quit risking his health with all these "comebacks" that last like 2 months.

5. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I wouldn't be adverse to see him do what Tim Hardaway did.

If he does come back, he should either be enched for most of the season, or simply work on his health/game.

Then, with like 10 games left in the season, he should sign with a playof contendor. He wouldn't be risking his health for an entire season, and it gives him a chance to play.

Of oourse, he better learn the defense/offense for whichever team it may be.