1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fratello no longer interested in job(Hornets)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NJRockFan, Jun 3, 2003.

1. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

» More From The Times-Picayune

Hornets News

[From The Times-Picayune]

Fratello no longer interested in job

Tuesday June 03, 2003

By Jimmy Smith
    and John Reid%%par%%Staff writers

Mike Fratello, one of three candidates to be the head coach of the Hornets, withdrew from consideration Monday morning.

Fratello said he telephoned Bob Bass, the Hornets' executive vice president of basketball operations and general manager, to inform him of his decision.

From Our Advertiser

"I thanked Bob, and I thanked the organization for giving me consideration," Fratello said. "But I'm not sure at this time that this is where I want to go, so I'm pulling out of the situation.

"I took the whole weekend to think about it, watching what was happening and the timing of the thing just isn't right. They're great people down there. I've known Mr. (George) Shinn and Mr. (Ray) Wooldridge and Bob for a long time. Potentially, they've got a great team."

Bass said he received the call from Fratello shortly before 10 a.m.

"He called up and said he wanted to withdraw as a candidate for the Hornets' head coaching job," Bass said. "And the only other statement he made is that the process was taking too long. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you."

Bass would not comment on whether the Hornets would pursue former Detroit Pistons coach Rick Carlisle, who was fired late Friday night.

Fratello's decision leaves New Orleans with two announced candidates: Brian Hill, a former Hornets assistant and Orlando Magic and Vancouver Grizzlies head coach, and Tim Floyd, a former UNO and Chicago Bulls coach.

Hill said Monday he was surprised to hear of Fratello's decision. "You don't know what's going on or what else may be involved with it," Hill said, "but it's hard for me to comment beyond that."

Floyd, contacted Monday evening, expressed surprise at Fratello's decision but declined further comment.

Fratello's name was mentioned over the weekend in connection with two other NBA head coaching positions: the Los Angeles Clippers, who have not said whether interim coach Dennis Johnson will be retained, and the Philadelphia 76ers, from whom Larry Brown resigned last month.

Fratello would not, however, say whether his decision to pull out of the Hornets' search was connected to pursuing another job.

"I'll just leave it at that, my statement," Fratello said. "New Orleans is a great city with great fans. I just felt this was the right thing to do."

Fratello met with Bass in San Antonio on May 13 to interview for the job. Both parties said there have been no other face-to-face meetings.

Bass said the Hornets have also not had additional meetings with Hill, who interviewed May 19, or Floyd, who interviewed May 9.

Bass said last week that the team would not name a head coach until he and the front-office and scouting staffs returned from this week's NBA predraft camp in Chicago.

Fratello has 14 years of head coaching experience in the league. He led the Atlanta Hawks and Cleveland Cavaliers to nine postseason appearances. Three times (1986, '87, '88) he guided the Hawks into the Eastern Conference semifinals.

He has a career regular-season coaching record of 572-465 (.552) and a postseason mark of 20-34 (.370). Of the three candidates, Fratello had the most head-coaching experience.

Hill has more than six years' experience as a head coach. He has a 222-227 (.494) career record and an 18-18 postseason record. He led the Magic to the 1995 NBA Finals and the 1996 Eastern Conference finals.

Floyd coached the Bulls for 3 ½ seasons, finishing with a 49-190 (.205)mark and no postseason appearances.

2. dean

dean Member

damn, he was the best candidiate

10 10 0 131 wcirc

3. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I think Fratello is eyeing another job. I am guessing Philly's.

Many people complained that we didn't pursue Carlisle, looks like we are not the only team. Granted that Hornets may still pursue him at a later date, but certaintently not with any urgency.

4. Live

Live Member

That's what I was thinking.

But IMHO, the Hornets job is better. 2 potential All-Stars in Davis & Mashburn, better big men, good depth.

Interesting.