1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Frank Vogel may be available... (UPDATE: Vogel out in Indiana)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, May 1, 2016.

1. hakeemthagreat

Ok. So you can't criticize his actual JOB PERFORMANCE, which was phenomenal, so you bring up his personal life? "Yea I know Mark Jackson took a bad team to 51 teams, but what about that HOOKER!!!!":rolleyes:

All this sounds like talking points from the GS front office. OFCOURSE their going to paint the man in a negative way, at this point they had to justify firing a man who turned their franchise around. If all this was truly happening, then how in the heck do you keep improving EVERY year?

Maybe you misunderstood me, but it was a 28 game improvement in a 2 1/2 year period. Name any rebuilding franchise that would scoff at that? You go from a consistent sub 500. team to winning 51 games under 3 years (improving every year). That's incredible. BTW, how long has Sacramento, Philly, Denver & the Knicks been rebuilding? They WISH they had that type of turnaround so quickly. You can bring up all the dirt coming from management, but I think the REAL reason they hated Jackson was that he's a prominent Christian. GS is located in a region where Christian values are frowned upon. He was doomed from the beginning. He didn't compromise and it cost him his job.

At the end of the day, he's still the best candidate for this job. Texas is a Christian state and I think Houston would accept him better than any other place. Not mentioning the fact he's a great coach too

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You're a tempest in a teacup.

Mark Jackson was a mediocre coach and it looks like he might be one of the few availabilities who doesn't get an interview.

Who is he, your uncle or something? He's not the right choice for this team. Move on.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New <a href="https://twitter.com/GMS_NBA">@GMS_NBA</a> about the Frank Vogel firing. <a href="https://t.co/iOGO0mTMEc">https://t.co/iOGO0mTMEc</a></p>&mdash; Mark Deeks (@MarkDeeksNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkDeeksNBA/status/728629198592585729">May 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. alethios

alethios Member

[​IMG]

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If he really turned the franchise around they wouldn't have fired him. Even Warrior players said he had a lot of distractions during the year. You assume that the Warriors had no reason to fire him and are just talking crap about him now that he's gone. Those tears they are shedding over firing him can only be comforted by a championship and a record setting season this year.

His 28 game improvement as you call it is also comical. He went from a team that was 36-46. So the high water mark is 36 wins. Then, in a year with a lockout that team went 23-43. Let's say we prorate that for the shortened season, that's 28.57 wins, I'll even round down for you to 28 wins. So in his first season at coach he is a -8 win differential. Then in his second season he made the mark of 47 games. Lastly, he marginally improved on the 47 game season to 51 wins. Hardly a 28 game turnaround, at best it's a 15.

You can call it all a rebuilding period, but the guy caused a dip in the team's performance when he arrived, then they went back to being delightfully average. You could also argue the delta wins per season was plateauing under Jackson as well. He went from a -8, +19, +4. The difference between Kerr and Jackson was then a +16! That's insane. You can sit here and argue that Jackson was an average coach at best, but to think he is a top tier coach, or even top of the tier of available candidates is laughably incorrect.

Also, I don't care if he's christian, jewish, mulsim, whatever, his affair and subsequent extortion caused a lot of distractions for him on and off the court. We don't need that. Also, are you simple? He wasn't fired because he was christian, he was fired because he didn't produce. He dug himself a hole, then pulled himself out of it, at the end of the day he was a null coach.