1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis's Cap Hit Two Summers from Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I am starting the thread to emphasize the salary cap implications of Dream getting a two yr guaranteed contract.

Assuming we give Steve the maximum 26.2% raise for the Team Option 4th yr, he will be paid $3.65m his 4th season.

That same year would be Dream's last yr under a 2yr contract. The summer following Dream's last year he comes off the books by retiring; however, Francis becomes a 300% cap hit heading into his 5th season, completely erasing any cap gain by Dream coming off the books.

Francis's cap hit is $11m the moment Dream comes off the books under a 2yr deal.

2. Bingo

Bingo Member

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to re-sign Steve long-term before his contract is up? That would be a wise choice.

------------------
    Mr. President. No man thinks more highly than I of three legged cows. They deserve to live. On my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of reason. Cows with three legs are good. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth : three-legged cows are better. They are better because the meat on them is better. The steaks are more tender. Three-legged cows tend not to wander as much. These cows could be the symbol of our country. The world would look upon us with great respect. They will want our cows and pay good money for them. The cows could symbolize freedom and hard work and three legs are better than four. They are meant for us; they can be meant for no other.

3. FranchiseRules

That's right! And wasn't Stevie Wonderful the one who said that if the Rockets offered it to him he'd sign a lifetime contract?!?

------------------
    This is our FRANCHISE and these are the RULES - Learn it, Live it, Love it!

4. heypartner

We cannot offer a new contract to a 1st round draft pick until between Aug 1st and Oct 31st leading into his 4th yr, just like Cato, and just like Vince is likely to get.

The salary doesn't go into effect until his 5th season.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

crispee chicken tenders,

so are you saying that it will be impossible for the Rocks to have cap room in 2003? Cause man, I really don't care about next year's FA's. Look at 2003. Be like Orlando and plan ahead. Duncan, McDyess, Malone, j O'neal, Ratliff, and much much more. Do the Rocks have to max Francis right after Dream is off the books in 2? That would suck.

6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Crispee,

Wouldn't Francis count as 150% of his previous years salary against the cap, about $4.75 mill? With us having his Full Bird rights, we could sign him to the max after we acquire whatever FA's we have targeted at that time. Is this correct or am I losing my mind?

------------------
    A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

What kind of Rocket's fan are you?

Ratliff seems possible though, and would of course be a great fit here(And everywhere else)

------------------
    The title will come to ClutchCity once again.

8. heypartner

hottoddie, the rules are not the same for Rookie Scale players. Francis will count 300% of previous salary.

Besides, if we lock him up in his option year by extending his contract like we did Cato, and like Toronto is surely to do with Vince (if he will), he will be maxed out by that extension for sure. We all definitely want to lock him up before his option yr begins, bet to that. That prevents him from ever being a free agent.

9. heypartner

Kim

That is correct. When Duncan is a free agent, Francis will count roughly $11m against the cap.