1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francisco Garcia to Opt Out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PrettyEdward, May 21, 2014.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

People, please realize that, while he is certainly "doing the Rockets a solid" by declining to exercise his player option, Francisco Garcia will (almost definitely) not lose a single penny by doing so.

As others have pointed out, Garcia's option year is for the veteran's minimum.

By opting out, Garcia is free to peruse the market to see if either (a) he can get more than the veteran's minimum from another team (not too likely) or (b) find a better fit/opportunity than in Houston. If he can find neither, I would be SHOCKED if the Rockets don't end up signing him to a one-year, fully-guaranteed contract at the veteran's minimum . . . once the team has made all other moves involving the use of cap room, just like they did with Garcia last summer.

Furthermore, not only does Garcia opting out help open additional cap room this summer, it also helps Les Alexander save a few bucks next season. As I mentioned in my last Salary Cap Update, because the Rockets signed Garcia to a two-year deal last summer, the team has to pay his entire salary while under that contract. However, if Garcia re-signs on a ONE-year deal for the veteran's minimum, the Rockets will only have to pay him the equivalent of the two-year veteran's minimum, with the league picking up the rest of the tab.

1 person likes this.
  2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Considering it, other options. <a href="http://t.co/thXTsttpzj">http://t.co/thXTsttpzj</a> RT <a href="https://twitter.com/nathan0223">@nathan0223</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> so is Garcia coming back or exploring his options?</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/492420229868183552">July 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I don't think Garcia will be back and I don't blame him. Sure, he wants to win a championship, but honestly: who would want a championship when you contribute zero on the court? Whether that be due to your own play or the coach's decision to not play you.

If the Jazz promise playing time, I'm 85% sure he's gone. If the Heat, Cavs, Spurs or any other possible great team chase him, I say even less chance we get him back. We're thin at the wing and short on veterans so I really hope Morey does throw some good money at him.

4. NotChandlerParsons

Lots of guys, actually.
    [​IMG]

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

He might be a sign and trade candidate to Boston in a September Rondo trade.

6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

It would break my heart to see the "Francisco Garcia as a Jazz" thread.

Garcia needs to end his career as a Rocket, then, upon retirement, be given head of security job at Toyota Center.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

The agent states there is several teams, so my guess is either he's lying or there's no contenders among them. Either way, trying to drive the price up.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Perhaps. I would be mildly surprised if any team is offering Garcia more than the veteran's minimum. It may be a matter of finding a team willing to give him a two-year deal rather than a one-year deal.

I also imagine that Garcia has a standing offer from the Rockets for a one-year, fully-guaranteed deal at the veteran's minimum (a "reward" for opting out of his deal and giving the Rockets more breathing room to create max cap space) but that he could also possibly be in line for a Keith Bogans-style massive overpay if the right deal comes along. (This is pure conjecture on my part, by the way.)

Given the possibilities that the Rockets present to him, I'm not surprised that he hasn't signed elsewhere. He might eventually decide that a two-year vet minimum deal (bird in the hand) is worth more than what the Rockets are potentially offering (two in the bush). But barring that, it may be in his best interest to just sit tight and wait for the optimal opportunity to be paid by the Rockets.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Him and Harden hung out in DR like 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have bad feelings about the team and will come back if Morey offers him a spot like before.