1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francisco Garcia to Opt Out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PrettyEdward, May 21, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it's pretty obviously circumvention for a team to make a secret handshake deal with a player to do something that helps you manipulate cap space. I don't know why you'd think that was somehow unknowable. It's obvious. I also think it's obvious that the league is not capable of proving that anything of the sort has happened and it's too minor for the league office to even bother with, so it's all moot.

But, that's all beside the point anyway. Aside from being circumvention, it's totally pointless. Rockets don't know they need the space right now, and once they find out, finding a taker for Garcia will be a million times easier than finding a taker for Lin.

2. Solaris

Solaris Member

He shot 35.8% for 3pt. What you complaining?:)

Bev 36.1%
    Cisco 35.8%

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, this "loophole" is not likely to get closed anytime soon.

First off, the league would only be picking up the tab on the DIFFERENCE between Garcia's applicable veteran's minimum salary ($1,316,809, the minimum salary for a nine-year vet) and the veteran's minimum for a two-year vet ($915,243). The Rockets would still be paying Garcia the majority of his salary. It just saves Les Alexander an extra $400k and opens up that same $400k in additional cap room.

However, as others have pointed out, for the period between July 1 and the date that Garcia actually signs a new deal with the Rockets, and assuming that the Rockets renounce their Bird rights to Garcia (a safe bet IF they are going to use cap room this summer), his entire salary is cleared off the books.

4. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Garcia should go instead into movies. There's more money to be had there anyway. I also figured that he would make a good cowboy...especially with that stare!

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

This. Thank you!

6. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Great to have you Cisco! Let's go get Adridge!

7. basketballholic

THere's no "handshake". Just words. (If only I could tell you what I actually know about what really did happen in a couple deals. But I can't.)

Believe what you want.

8. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

none of the bench players even like playing with the Rockets, look at how many Miami players leave... how many? none, exactly they keep people out people dont choose to leave. The Rockets already lost Lowry, Dragic, Brooks, Cisco and more ive yet named because no one likes being on a badly coached team. If Lin had a final year opt out, hed not do it because of the 15 mil, but you get the point only money matters to Rocket players while Miami its all about the legacy.

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

not surprise

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lowry was traded, but I'll grant you that one because he was chafing with McHale. Dragic would have returned if we had offered him the same thing Phoenix had. Brooks we traded away and he willingly came back only to be traded again. He obviously likes it in Houston. Garcia played for us last year too and willingly signed another contract for the minimum, so he couldn't have hated it that much. So really, you've got one example (with an asterisk). I guess you can add Asik, though it seems like his only problem is not being a starter; no indication he doesn't like McHale or the team.

11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

McFail's basketball only needs 7 player. Sorry for Garcia.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I always figured his option was an in case of injury, he still gets paid deal.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Why didn't McFail put him in to guard Battum? Despite all that happened, Garcia would definitely have slowed down Battum guarding him like Durant.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Garcia could have covered Mathews or Battum. Would have definitely changed the series despite the bad calls and mistakes.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Garcia did us a solid! Left guaranteed money on the table, walked away from a top seeded playoff team. That being said, i'm sure OKC/Clips/Heats might look into picking him up.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There might or might not be a secret handshake deal but I very much doubt that any team bothers protesting about a potential circumvention or whatever when it comes to a minimum wage vet like Garcia and even if they do the only way that a team gets busted is by being dumb enough to leave a paper trail.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If we plan to go after Melo/Lowry/Deng... we would of needed Garcia to opt out.

If we were to get melo.. expect to see the following

Asik, Motiejunas, Jones and Lin traded for picks and cash, no salary in return.

Powell and Hamilton become will walk and become free agents.

Casspi and Covington would be cut.

So while we loose a lot of player, we really wouldn't be loosing anybody too important. Asik will walk next off-season, Lin and Houston just didn't work out, Jones has been nice but he isn't a starter quality player on a contender at this point in his career, Motiejunas still hasn't developed, Casspi/Covington/Powell are non rotation players.

Even with getting rid of 9 players, Melo woulds still have to take a pay cut, the rockets would only be able to offer Melo roughly 19 million in his first year, which is 1.5 million less then Howard got, and Howard took a small pay cut him self if i'm thinking correctly.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dwight didn't and we can clear over 20m if we don't keep our draft pick

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I agree with all those who say there is no need to look into any handshake deals here. Garcia will get at least a 1yr vet minimum contract. He may get more, but he's not going to be left out to dry. 3 point shooters are always in demand and he can shoot. This is beneficial for him regardless of what the Rockets plans are.

I also believe if he can't find a good offer elsewhere, the Rockets are certainly willing to give him the same minimum contract he opted out of.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member