1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis suspended one game for missed flight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by morganmanor, Feb 2, 2004.

1. m004378

m004378 Member

SF surely possesses talents few other guards in the NBA have. HOWEVER, his kind of talent obviously is not needed by Van gundy's style rocket team. SF is fast, shoots well (at least prior to this season....) has the athletism......but he lacks one thing to jive all this God given talent together in order help his team to win, that is.....the gray matter. How many times have we seen him dribble way the time and instead of pass it to the open man, he opted to use his athletism to force a difficult shot and eventually miss it. My prediction is that they will let him go if the Rox don't make it to the playoff this year.

2. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

absolutely Shark. How can his teammates play their hearts out with this guy out there now that he chose to bail on his teammates and attend the superbowl? And if it's true that some of his teammates chose to give up there tickets, then that really has him looking selfish. I don't know how Francis feels watching his team lose right now, but since he did what he did, you have to think he was watching tonight with the hope his team loses to show JVG and everybody else they can't win without him.

3. m004378

m004378 Member

i'll take sam cassell

4. lalala902102001

Steve made a stupid decision and he deserves to be suspended.

But this game shows that this team needs Francis. Without Steve we would be the worst team in the west.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

would either team go for a steve/cato for sheed/woods?

it would leave us empty at PG, but we could re-sign sheed in the offseason for much less than he is making now. then we wouldnt have to worry about the luxury tax. and we could turn woods into a future 3 for us.

6. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

I just watched Van Gundy's interview on fox news and Van Gundy said he spoke to Steve in the parking lot prior to boarding their charter and Steve told him that the super bowl was a once in a lifetime thing. Van Gundy said that was the decision that Steve mad so he will not go into further details. Not the correct words, but pretty close. I think Steve just bought his own one-way ticket out of Houston.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well now that steve's going to be traded eventually, jvg better not **** that up more than he's already ****ed things up. don't get a "jvg guy." get someone with talent. maybe a power forward that doesn't blow ass for once.

8. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Yeah, that's my fear. Addition by subtraction usually just leaves you with a minus. One fear about these defensive gurus is that they often feel they can overcome lack of talent with system, and often seem to desire the need to prove it.

9. Nautic

Nautic Member

Being the #9 team on the West is not that much better than being the worst.

10. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Replace 'need' in last line with chance. Am a tad...er...in the cups, as it were.

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Steve's decision shows a sign that maybe he thinks he is bigger than the team. Unfortunate. I have always liked Steve and would/could not imagine him in any other uniform. But, if he is going to act like this, he needs to go. Really sad. I have a framed Francis jersey hanging in my house and I think he should go. Tells you alot about what I think of his actions and his attitude towards the team. Once in a lifetime or not, you dont turn your back on your team. These are the guys that fight the battles along side and for you and this is what you in turn do. God forbid anything bad happening, but I wonder if he would have turned his back on his own mother for this "once in a lifetime" event.

I hope and pray that this was not as big a deal as it looks now, and if so something positive comes from it. I hope that the team, especially Steve, uses this incident as motivation and start kicki'n some NBA a** like they should have always done this season.

I would hate to see Steve go, but if he can't come back and rectify this mistake to his team and fans, and continues to act like he is above the team, something has to be done.

12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

It seems to me that Francis should have been suspended by the team already for his amazingly poor play lately.

They should sentence him to shooting drills until he can get to the 'star' level of 45% or better. 25% over the last 10 games is just pitiful. Considering the minutes he plays his stats are not very competitive.

13. riskmetrics

riskmetrics Member

Poor professional attitude (both the player and coach!), poor decision, poor communication, poor motivation, poor game planning, poor morale, poor performance (both the p&c), then ugly losses...What a VICIOUS CIRCLE :(

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Everybody calm down and don't read too much into it.

Yes, it was probably highly immature what he did.
    Yes, it is probably appropriate that he was fined.
    Yes, team morale suffered.

BUT - I am not sure he was trying to consciously make a statement.

Also, some people here talk like a trade is inevitable.

I'm not sure that is true. Let's see how the team gets out of the gate after the all-star break first.

15. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I'm really, really dissapointed. I have defended Steve on many levels for a long time, and was really impressed with what I saw as his improvement in attitude this year. If these reports are accurate....wow. I am virutally on the edge of conceding that he doesn't belong here. I never expected this. To openly defy your coach like that...to call something other than your team responsibilities your priority, and not mean your family...I am really stunned.

When I first heard this, and thought it was just a missed plane, etc. I was ready to chalk it up to a mistake. That it was intentional, and in open defiance of Van Gundy's position...Well, Steve, it's been swell.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow. I had not read that. What a childish moron (Francis).

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

JAG,

If you would make a $20 contribution to the tip jar, you wouldn't have to do additional posts to explain typos.:p ;)

18. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Is that how it works? What do i get for 50 bucks, a set of steak knives? ;)

19. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

how is the superbowl a once in a lifetime thing.. when you have millions of dollars?

it's not like he is a long time houstonian.. or he will never be able to afford another one lol

20. buddry

buddry Member

There is no reason JVG had to forbid the team from going to the game. He could of let them go and leave town that night or the next day if he wanted to. They are grown men, they should be allowed to do what they want on thier off day. Pretty soon JVG will be assigning chaparones.